European court rules Skype’s name is too similar to UK based Sky broadcaster

AlexGoesHigh

skypwin8_640.0.jpg

This isn't the first time Microsoft and Sky have disputed trademarks ownerships, the last time was with SkyDrive which ended in Microsoft renaming it to OneDrive globally due to the court failing in favor of Sky, now the situation seems to start repeating itself with Skype. a EU court has ruled that Microsoft’s Skype logo and name is too similar to the Sky broadcaster. The judgment will prevent Microsoft from registering a trademark for the Skype name and logo design in Europe.

Microsoft is already appealing the decision and fully disagrees with the outcome, a spoke person provided the following statement

We’re confident no confusion exists between these brands and services and will appeal. This decision does not require us to alter product names in any way.

Microsoft has already affirmed this outcome won't require a name change to Skype, Sky can now request licensing fee's for the brand across Europe. Sky originally filed its complaint in 2005, six years before Microsoft completed its acquisition of Skype for $8.5 billion. The complaint centers on the registration of the Skype trademark, rather than its usage. It’s not clear how Microsoft intends to protect its Skype name if an appeal fails, and that could allow others to use the Skype name for their products.

British Sky Broadcasting Group provides ISP, TV and telephones services in the UK among others

source: the verge

IMO if the appealing fails, MS has to change the name, i'm sure they don't mind that much to pay licensing fee's but they sure as hell ain't going to let some company use the skype name for anything else while the service still uses that name, we have to wait and see how this procedes in the future but if they changed a product name in the pass, they sure can do it again. also if they decide to change the name, take the opportunity and fix some of the issues it has been plagued for a couple of years now

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This is pants on backwards stupid. 

Skype has a fuck ton more global appeal than Sky TV. SkyDrive made some sense, it was so new and the One moniker fit better with their cloud services but Skype? Thats basically a internet staple of a program.

This is stupid.

I've never even heard anyone say them in the same sentence.

Sig under construction.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I see no point in them changing the name or paying to use it. Skype is not too similar to it to be a problem. Everyone knows Skype is owned by Microsoft so I don't see an issue here other than the Eu are being retard again.

>EU court.

Everybody is insane there. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I think I just got downs...

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

I really don't see the visual similarities nor have I or anyone I know confused the two.

05gA0TI.png

skype_logo-580x367.jpg

Someone either needs to go back to law school, or school itself. In no way do i see those two as being similar, nor would i ever confuse the two... What is wrong with these people. 

ISP's being greedy psychopaths again. Big surprise.

-snip

Someone either needs to go back to law school, or school itself. In no way do i see those two as being similar, nor would i ever confuse the two... What is wrong with these people. 

You've never argued with a lawyer I take it?

To them there is no right or wrong, correct or incorrect, just "make a convincing argument"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Inb4 Onepe

Onepepe

0e9.jpg

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

How would anybody mistake Skype(it's like synonymous with video calling... Kinda like google=search) and Sky...

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Wtf. Skype is fucking a world wide known thing. Sky isn't. They should both just keep their name, or Sky should change their name. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This is pants on backwards stupid. 

Skype has a fuck ton more global appeal than Sky TV. SkyDrive made some sense, it was so new and the One moniker fit better with their cloud services but Skype? Thats basically a internet staple of a program.

You have to remember that the lawsuit has been going on for 9 years now. It started back when Skype was still small and new.

The ruling would probably have made sense back then but right now I think it's kind of stupid. But then again, should the ruling be based on the facts when the complain was filed or when it was finished?

Damn,you beat me to this..I was about to post the news. But seriously, I've never heard anyone complaining about getting confused with SKY and Skype. Even the least tech savvy person can tell the different between those two services because of the obviously Skype has so much wider global appeal than SKY. GG EU..

So we can't use the word "Sky" in any product names now?

hey maybe sky does minecraft is next. Who knows, people might mistake it as Sky doing minecraft

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Skydrive and now this....

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro