GTX 660 Tech Help

Persephone

Hello, so I've recently purchased an EVGA GTX 660 and I've been having some technical issues. Prior to the 660, I had the GTX 260 and I had drivers issues all the time (it crashing, etc). I thought it was because of the GPU since it was my brother's old card & is pretty dusty. Anyways, I uninstalled the old drivers, put in the new 660, and then downloaded the new drivers from the web. However, sometimes there would be graphics lag that would crash my computer and I've gotten the BSOD twice. Also, after booting up my computer, I would get the "Disk read error" message & I would be prompted to restart by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del. After restarting, I wouldn't get anymore errors. This does not happen every time either- maybe 1/2 chance. In a game on normal graphics settings, I would get slight graphic lag occasionally; it's not that big of a deal but definitely noticeable.

Yes, I have tried uninstalling drivers & redownloading them and I made sure I'm not using the onboard graphics.

I'm not overclocking it, I believe I have a sufficient power supply, & the drivers are correctly installed. What could the problem be?

Specs:

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155

PSU: Corsair CX600 (600W)

CPU: Intel i5 3570K

RAM: 8GB

HDD: WD Velociraptor 300GB 10000rpm

P.s. I'm not very computer proficient so excuse my ignorance :(

Fight be time to clean your computer of nasty junk files and what not. I like to reinstall Windows once a year, but that's just me. Run CCleaner for both junk and registry files, and do a thorough scan with Malwarbytes, see if any of your problems are related to that.

Fight be time to clean your computer of nasty junk files and what not. I like to reinstall Windows once a year' date=' but that's just me. Run CCleaner for both junk and registry files, and do a thorough scan with Malwarbytes, see if any of your problems are related to that. [/quote']

I don't think so.. there was an issue with the old GPU and that was when all the parts were brand new. Everything is now < 3 months old and I do use CCleaner regularly.

Have your tried drive sweeper? If that doesn't work after a fresh install of the drivers then its something more than the graphics card or the drivers.

Fresh windows install will always be good, but if you dont want to do something like that try CC cleaner, its very good software... If that doesnt help, let us know maybe something else we can think of that can help :)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Install a clean driver removal utility and completely remove any video drivers from the system, restart and install the new drivers .

Some people keep repeating how AMD/ATI drivers are bad, but it's completely baseless, people experience driver issues with both nVidia & AMD drivers all the time .

Don't forget to boot into safe mode.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide