[GUIDE] Getting Started with Viruses, Antivirus, and Best Practices!

Getting Started with Viruses, Antivirus, and Best Practices!

This guide is NOT PERFECT. It is shorter than it can or should be. But hopefully people will find this while searching our forum, and it will be of help.
I was a PC technician for several years, and currently do freelance computer work in addition to my normal Job.
The programs listed were used on a day to day basis, where 50% of my work was doing virus removals. 

Bleepingcomputer is a lifesaver when it comes to Malware:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

Another LTT Guide from @ttam on the actual removal of malware:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90213-malware-removal-guide/

Virus, Malware, Spyware, Adware.... what does it all mean?

• Malware is the term used to describe any kind of unwanted program, code, etc. that is running on your computer. A Virus, is a specific kind of malware, that is designed to replicate onto as many computers as possible. BUT, most programs are now called "Anti-Virus" because the term is "popular". 

• Spyware and Adware are another specific type of malware – these little guys cause popups, ads, etc.

• There are many other forms of malware – best to look up the “name” you hear in to your favorite search engine, and undoubtedly you will get a good Wiki article on the matter!

What is “antivirus”, and why do I need it?

• Antivirus, antimalware, antispyware are softwares designed to detect and remove known viruses/malware/adware etc.

• AV software will help detect and prevent - and in the case of an infection, may help you remove the bug.

• No matter how careful you are, you can get a virus. A program gets hacked, or a hole is found, and voila - Someone or someone's software now has a way onto your system. Just like driving without a seatbelt, not using a helmet, or not backup up your computer - it only takes once and you're in trouble.In fact, most “Antivirus” software, is useless against Zero-Day malware, as there is always a period of time between when the malware is released, and your program is updated to know how to protect you. More on this Below. 

What software do I need to protect myself?

It is best practice to have both “Antivirus” and “Antimalware”. 

Antivirus runs 24/7, but is not always prepared to prevent attacks from brand new viruses (Zero-Day). Running an anti-malware that you MANUALLY update and run will help against the newest viruses. 

There are all these versions! Which ones do I get?

Now, before I start a war, let me remind you. There is no perfect Antivirus. Period.

One major point – FREE is all you need. Paid will get you features, but not better performance.

Always do "advanced install" - even on these. If you are not careful, you will get an extra toolbar, widget, etc. Free stuff is never free, they need to make money somehow, so best to do advanced install and not install any extra programs.

Anti-Virus: Please only install ONE of these. If you install more than one, you will have a bad time. Your system will fight itself in some cases. These are purely commonly recommended and accepted as “good” FREE antivirus:

Anti-Malware: You can install multiples of these. It is recommended that you install at least one, generally Malwarebytes. Click below for install and usage instructions:

Okay, I have the ones I want installed….. Now what? What do I do to protect myself?

Always:

• Do windows updates, program updates, AV updates. These are often times security patches that fix holes. Browsers, Flash, Adobe, Silverlight, Java are especially targeted.

• Avoid “iffy” websites. You know what they are.

• Think before you click ANYTHING. If anything looks “off” STOP. Especially emails.

• Do "advanced install" of any program. If you don't, you risk getting toolbars, crapware, and spyware-related "extras" installed. 

Daily:

• Always Check your realtime Anti-Virus to make sure it is updated and has run scans. Viruses will target realtime, and stop them from running. Sometimes you can catch this behavior and run a manual scan from another program. 

• Set your Realtime Anti-virus to run scans daily or every other day. And let them run

• BACK UP YOUR STUFF. Im dead serious. If you do not have a daily backup plan in place. DO IT NOW. PERIOD.

• Check to make sure windows firewall is turned on and running.

Weekly (or every few days):

• UPDATE and run your Anti-Malware scans. 

What about firewalls?

In general, there is not a great need for additional firewalls, other than that which is built-in to your windows installation. But as stated above, make sure they are running fine, and that Windows has its updates done!

I hope this guide is helpful. Based on feedback, this will be updated as necessary. I will probably not "add this or that program to the list", since the ones listed are tried and true. 

Edited by d3sl91

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Or this for the visual/aural learners out there:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That reminded me of the time when I downloaded a software called Horizon. It's a legit software, but If you don't read all the instructions and keep a box checked, it downloaded a bunch of crap.

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

Great guide for those who are being introduced to the world of computer protection.

I personally use AVG and Malwarebytes and I've never run into any problems, proving (for me at least) that free is indeed all that you need.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Thanks for making this.  I have some suggestions that I think should be made.

• Add Avira.  Really good AV, no reason to not have it listed.
  • Remove MSE.  Really bad AV, no reason to have it listed.
  • Add a link/section to AVTEST, so people can compare and look at notes between the different AVs.

Other than this, and some grammar errors, looks good.  Thanks.