Shure srh-840 headphone

Alright, finally done with the cheap stuff. The big cans are comimg out.

IMAG0070_zpse83c60af.jpg

Build

The headband has a nice meshed material on the bottom and a nice leathery top with SHURE pressed in.

Plenty of padding for me, and headband wise I've had no comfort issues.

IMAG0071_zps63b1a897.jpg

Nice leathery soft pads, comfortable for the most part

I feel they could be a little deeper as my ears can press against the inside and after a few hours start to hurt.

I don't think I have huge ears, but I do know they are pretty sensitive after a few hours, and I can fix the discomfort by taking a quick break or adjusting them slightly.

IMAG0072_zps4399e900.jpg

For having plastic hinges and headbands they are really strong. Shure didn't skimp on using plastic, everything feels really thick and solid.

great for travel where they may get tossed around or smushed a little.

IMAG0074_zpsb8c3196b.jpg

Has a nice coiled detachable cable with a screw on/off 1/4" adapter.

The connection on the headphone side is a locking 3/32"

IMAG0076_zpsfffdcc64.jpg

Sound

Innerfidelity graphs here

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

I'm using my M^3 amp and a xindac dac-5 w/ tube output.

IMAG0077_zps030f2f30.jpg

I have to say, for drums, bass and guitar, these are my favorite headphones I've heard.

very detailed, and instrumental separation is great.

I strongly recommend at LEAST 320kbps with these if not flac.

That goes with any headphone, but when you spend this much on headphones you better know what you're getting into.

The bass is slightly(very slightly) strong for me, and it could have better extension, but to get that I think you may be paying ~3x as much.

everything else just seems to fall inline, with it's very flat response.

Male vocals seem a little more forward than female vocals, but it may be the recordings as I only have a couple albums with female vocals.

I really don't know what else to say about the sound quality.

They are fantastic and only a small step below even my HE-500's IMO.

The biggest problem for me isn't not the headphones.

That problem is with whoever is recording the music.

you can really tell who cares about what they are recording and who doesn't.

IMAG0073_zps2e349f2e.jpg

FUN MOD

I have an adapter and a 4" mini cable and hot glued some velcro to the phones and a sansa clip+ for almost wireless headphones.

IMG_20121002_170413_zpsc4c0466a.jpg

Final Thoughts

Great phones and I from other phones I've heard are right at the peak of the the price to performance ratio, IMO.

Fantastic sounding headphones for music and movies, I would however recommend something open(ad700's or hd5x8 off the top of my head) for gaming.

I bought these for portable use and already owned the HD595's.

Fantastic combo, as I had the HD595's for gaming and lighter music, and the srh-840's for movies and heavier music.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

lol @ the clips "clip" mod.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

lol @ the clips "clip" mod.

the clip part broke off so I had to use velcro :(

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

the clip part broke off so I had to use velcro :(

Dude my clip randomly broke too when I pulled it out of my pocket and even though this thing can take a beating I baby it. Well one side of the clip broke and the other one is still there. Not sure if I should just remove it.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

They are fantastic and only a small step below even my HE-500's IMO.

That's true for most headphones in the $150 to $400 price range.  Even less of a difference between $500 and $2000 I'd assume.  At least that's what I intend to find out for myself when I get the cash together.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

What is your opinion on the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and Custom One Pro? Have you tried them yourself?

Great review' good job. I am jealous because you got the HE-500s.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

That's true for most headphones in the $150 to $400 price range.  Even less of a difference between $500 and $2000 I'd assume.  At least that's what I intend to find out for myself when I get the cash together.

I'd assume everything above $300 you're choosing between similar factors as below $100.

• 2 weeks later...

Had them for around 3 years i think, and they are incredible, to bad shure is abit underrated, they make great products.

:/

• 2 weeks later...

Great review.  Looking to pick up a new set of headphones specifically for things outside of gaming so this is some good info.

Corsair 600T (White) | Asus P8 Z68-V Pro | i5 2500k @ 3.3 | Corsair H70 | EVGA GTX 580 SOC | Patriot 1600LL - 4 x 4GB |

Crucial C300 128GB SSD | Western Digital Black 1TB | Corsair AX850 Pro Gold

Bought these 2 years ago for quite cheap since my work has a deal with them. Bought brand new for 110$. Fantastic headphones.

Would love to try the 880's, I almost bought them, but decided on the HE500's and don't regret that decision, and I never got a chance to try the m50's

there's a head-fi meet in my town, but the date got changed last year, and this year, I wasn't checking head-fi enough and missed it.

would have loved to go to try everything I could. I'll try and stay up to date next year and go.