Graphics Card for Extreme Video Editing

ShaneDale

I'm looking for a new graphics card for heavy editing on Adobe software and Blender. I would also like it for heavy gaming so I really don't want to go with the quadro cards. I heard that the Nvidia 500 series is better for video but im leaning towards a gtx660ti. Thoughts?

If your budget is for a gtx 660 ti, you are not going to do any "hardcore" video editing, but gaming will be good for a while, if you can squeeze a gtx 670 in that budget, it will help you alot, it has waaay more cuda core, from which you will benefit in your editing, cheers

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

What resolution do you play at ? For 1080p, the 660 Ti is very good. For anything above 1920x1200, you won't be able to max out games at decent frame rates for long. Besides that, I think Radeon cards are better for editing/general computing than Geforce ones. The 660 Ti equivalent would be the HD 7870.

The 660ti isn't bad, but you'll be much better off spending a little bit more for a 670.

What resolution do you play at ? For 1080p' date=' the 660 Ti is very good. For anything above 1920x1200, you won't be able to max out games at decent frame rates for long. Besides that, I think Radeon cards are better for editing/general computing than Geforce ones. The 660 Ti equivalent would be the HD 7870.[/quote']

Radeon cards don't have Cuda/aren't better for editing (for adobe programs at least)

If your budget is for a gtx 660 ti' date=' you are not going to do any "hardcore" video editing, but gaming will be good for a while, if you can squeeze a gtx 670 in that budget, it will help you alot, it has waaay more cuda core, from which you will benefit in your editing, cheers[/quote']

False the GTX 670 has exactly the same amount of CUDA cores. But the GTX 670 is still a much better card for gaming.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

What resolution do you play at ? For 1080p' date=' the 660 Ti is very good. For anything above 1920x1200, you won't be able to max out games at decent frame rates for long. Besides that, I think Radeon cards are better for editing/general computing than Geforce ones. The 660 Ti equivalent would be the HD 7870.[/quote']

He says he uses Adobe which means that the editing software he is using benefits a HUGE amount from CUDA.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

If your budget is for a gtx 660 ti, you are not going to do any "hardcore" video editing, but gaming will be good for a while, if you can squeeze a gtx 670 in that budget, it will help you alot, it has waaay more cuda core, from which you will benefit in your editing, cheers
dude 660ti and the 670 have the same cuda core count, 660ti just has a lower memory bus

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

An extreme video editing rig will utilize a 4p server board with high core count server CPU's to allow rendering with transitions, effects, and all at a high speed. If you are using a gaming machine that you also want to do some video editing on then you will want to go for the fastest single gpu you can afford that is supported by all the software you use. If your software only uses CUDA then get the Nvidia gpu that offers the most CUDA cores for your budget. Also keep in mind that rendering of video that has many transitions or added effects will take longer as some of the rendering will be done on the CPU so your CPU may be your real bottleneck when rendering some projects.

Sorry for that, i mistaken it for the gtx 660, with less cuda cores :D

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I'm looking for a new graphics card for heavy editing on Adobe software and Blender. I would also like it for heavy gaming so I really don't want to go with the quadro cards. I heard that the Nvidia 500 series is better for video but im leaning towards a gtx660ti. Thoughts?

yes the gtx 660ti is a very solid card for my recomendation it is the gtx 670 if u can afford it also u need alot of ram to do fast video editing

670 gets my vote though it's pricey.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Get a co-op position at AMD, take free 7970s, FirePro S10000s, profit!

Joking aside (not really since they literally let you take em <___<), I'd say to get a 670 now and then to invest in a true workstation later. You do miss out on features that only workstation cards have by the way. Is this card for work or are just leisure-editting? It doesn't quite sound like you're using this card for a job or anything.

Get a co-op position at AMD, take free 7970s, FirePro S10000s, profit!

Joking aside (not really since they literally let you take em <___<), I'd say to get a 670 now and then to invest in a true workstation later. You do miss out on features that only workstation cards have by the way. Is this card for work or are just leisure-editting? It doesn't quite sound like you're using this card for a job or anything.

No, just a hobby. But I wanted to get the best card for video editing that wasn't a workstation card since I will be gaming on it also. I just really want to upgrade from my GTS 450. Lol

Which adobe programs, specifically? GPU acceleration with adobe programs with the exception of premiere, is rather poor at this point. AE only supports 3D rendering AFAIK, PS only supports a few things too. For an upgrade a GTX570 would probably be your best bet, but past that there's not much point going any higher (GTX6xx series don't offer much performance increase either, if any at all due to the Kepler architecture).

On a side note, Raedon cards don't "perform worse," they just won't be utilized at all because they don't have CUDA capabilities. If OpenCL could be utilized then the Raedons would destroy the current Nvidia current offerings at various price points, but very few programs do.

The 660ti isn't bad, but you'll be much better off spending a little bit more for a 670.

Radeon cards don't have Cuda/aren't better for editing (for adobe programs at least)

radeon has his own features. cuda isn't godlike ;)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.