AMD Freesync Crossfire Support delayed

zMeul

source: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=186533&enterthread=y&hootPostID=b3a00b405fdddd81bb38bd94da65dc57

After vigorous QA testing, however, it’s now clear to us that support for AMD FreeSync™ monitors on a multi-GPU system is not quite ready for release.

As it is our ultimate goal to give AMD customers an ideal experience when using our products, we must announce a delay of the AMD Catalyst™ driver that would offer this support. We will continue to develop and test this solution in accordance with our stringent quality standards, and we will provide another update when it is ready for release

---

I will say this: AMD's PR and Marketing departments were in a big hurry to write the story before the actual development was finished - god forbid this should happen with other launches of their products

Fair enough, as of right now both solutions are in too early stages for me to be interested. By the time either is I'll probably be considering a gpu upgrade, so I may take into account who has done a better job in the meanwhile...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't mind. FreeSync and GSync seem to both slowly become more adopted and they are still not even really that affordable right now. They can take their time because I'm definitely taking my time in trying to go for one of these monitors.

I'd rather wait 2-3 more months for a properly tested feature set than something they rushed out of the door.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I don't mind. FreeSync and GSync seem to both slowly become more adopted and they are still not even really that affordable right now. They can take their time because I'm definitely taking my time in trying to go for one of these monitors.

well said.

I'm in the same boat. From where I'm sitting, I will probably own an oculus/Vive before buying a freesync/g-sync monitor - VRR monitors are just far too expensive to justify right now, especially when I can turn v-sync on, set the framerate limit ~15-20% below refresh rate with RTSS, and get a butter smooth experience with most single player games.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

125mctz.jpg

Monitors with AMD's FreeSync technology are finally shipping, but support for the variable-refresh tech has been limited to PCs with single Radeon GPUs thus far. AMD had promised to release drivers with FreeSync support for CrossFire setups this month, but it appears that there will be a bit of a wait yet. AMD released a message on its support forums today stating the following:

"After vigorous QA testing, however, it’s now clear to us that support for AMD FreeSync™ monitors on a multi-GPU system is not quite ready for release.

As it is our ultimate goal to give AMD customers an ideal experience when using our products, we must announce a delay of the AMD Catalyst™ driver that would offer this support. We will continue to develop and test this solution in accordance with our stringent quality standards, and we will provide another update when it is ready for release"

AMD's post doesn't offer any other details or reasoning for the delay. We'll be keeping a lookout for that update when it arrives.

Source: http://techreport.com/news/28193/amd-delays-freesync-support-for-multi-gpu-systems

I'm not sure about how I feel about this, on one hand, AMD has been delaying everything they have to offer lately. Then on the other hand, it seems it would be good to release fully finished support of something as opposed to releasing something half finished and dealing with the fallout later on. It's good that they are keeping tabs on quality, and here it seems they don't want to rush release of Crossfire support for FreeSync only to later on find out that it is incredibly buggy chock full of issues. I think as a whole it's good for AMD to make sure support for multi-GPU FreeSync support is solid. However, I feel as though people interested in the technology will be let down that they promised support for multi-GPU's this month, yet it appears that will be delayed for who knows how long.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

has anyone seen Pcper's experiment on freesync vs gsync? that one was really interesting to see. I don't believe they tested frames above the technology's threshold (i may be wrong, it's been a while), but they did test how the 2 did when frames drop below the intended range of fps.

has anyone seen Pcper's experiment on freesync vs gsync? that one was really interesting to see. I don't believe they tested frames above the technology's threshold (i may be wrong, it's been a while), but they did test how the 2 did when frames drop below the intended range of fps.

Freesync is disabled and G-sync caps the framerate to monitor refresh rate 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Freesync is disabled and G-sync caps the framerate to monitor refresh rate 

G-sync activates VSync to the monitors max refreshrate. On Freesync, you have a choice to do the same, or use free fps, like on normal monitors.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

G-sync activates VSync to the monitors max refreshrate. On Freesync, you have a choice to do the same, or use free fps, like on normal monitors.

nonononono, u got the G-sync part wrong. The g-sync module actively controls the frame output, hence the artefact-free experience. This is why it caps itself after reaching the max refresh rate of the monitor 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

nonononono, u got the G-sync part wrong. The g-sync module actively controls the frame output, hence the artefact-free experience. This is why it caps itself after reaching the max refresh rate of the monitor 

No I'm right on this one. At max refresh rate on the monitor, if fps reaches that, or goes above, the monitor will cap the fps using vsync, just like Freesync. But freesync also offers the possibility to make more frames than the monitor can handle, which produces tearing, like on normal screens

This is completely unrelated but since it got brought up: Yes, Freesync offers users the choice of how they want the system to behave above the monitor's refresh. Nvidia noticed that AMD got praise for that so now they're supposedly considering implementing that in G-sync too.

Which brings me to my non-fanboi point. Even if you are the most hardcore Nvidia fan of all time (or vice versa), anything negative that happens to AMD will translate into a loss for you as well if you like G-sync. I really want to buy a G-sync monitor but I've been holding off because I know that between Freesync hitting its stride (which it hasn't quite yet) and more monitor manufacturers joining the adaptive refresh club, we're in for some cool monitor advances in the near future.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Didn't come up in search, my bad.

Sort the news section by newest to oldest and go though today's posts. Better than trying to use the search function..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald