unidirectional vs omnidirectional mic

snoop doggie dogg

is there any difference in the sound quality between these 2 mics? i want to go for the omnidirectional one because it says its more sensitive but im afraid it might pic up my keyboard/mic and PC sound

here are the mics 

http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic-muteless

http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic-4-0-omni-directional

omnidirectional will pick up way more ambient noise

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

SNIP

uni directional will pick you up more and cut out background noise but will be less sensitive

omni will pick up everything and be more sensitive 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

uni directional will pick you up more and cut out background noise but will be less sensitive

omni will pick up everything and be more sensitive 

so which is better having a more sensetive mic and some background noise or a less sensetive mic and very little or no background noise?

so which is better having a more sensetive mic and some background noise or a less sensetive mic and very little or no background noise?

depends on how loud your room is really

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i'll probably go with the uni mic

probably best

Linus kindda hates omnidirectional mics. I understand that for most places it's not the best option, but in the future when I have my own place and specialized setup, the mic won't be able to detect any sound except from my breathing. I feel that omnidirectional mics give off a sound that is more natural, as opposed to cardioid which sound... radio/Youtube podcast-like.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

the mic won't be able to detect any sound except from my breathing.

:blink:

I think omni/uni directional says nothing about the sensitivity of the mic itself. It only says about their sound pickup pattern. 

Perhaps picking up too much ambient noises would make people think that the mic is 'over-sensitive'

What really says something about the sensitivity is if the type is diaphragm mic or condenser mic. Condensers are very sensitive. My samson meteorite picks up my breathing sound from 20-30cm away, on 15-20% mic gain. 

I think omni/uni directional says nothing about the sensitivity of the mic itself. It only says about their sound pickup pattern. 

Perhaps picking up too much ambient noises would make people think that the mic is 'over-sensitive'

What really says something about the sensitivity is if the type is diaphragm mic or condenser mic. Condensers are very sensitive. My samson meteorite picks up my breathing sound from 20-30cm away, on 15-20% mic gain. 

I never said sensitivity, I can easily get my sound to be too loud. I try to think of it this way... When we speak, the sound comes out of our mouth and some hits your ear, but a lot of it bounces around the room. My speech will sound very strange in an anechoic chamber where there are no reflections. My speculation (and it's speculation) is that cardioid pickup pattern, for example, will only pick up sound that bounces off from the walls in some angles only.

Or perhaps, there's something else at play that changes the sound of my voice as I go from cardioid to omnidirectional. I also haven't changed my microphone mode in a long time, I can do an Audacity recording test to prove the difference (or lack thereof).

The breathing comment was meant to point out just how quiet my room would be, to say that ambient noise won't be a problem with omnidirectional pickup patterns in that specific case. (Because, you know, if the room is dead quiet, otherwise too quiet sounds would be more audible.)

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I never said sensitivity, I can easily get my sound to be too loud. I try to think of it this way... When we speak, the sound comes out of our mouth and some hits your ear, but a lot of it bounces around the room. My speech will sound very strange in an anechoic chamber where there are no reflections. My speculation (and it's speculation) is that cardioid pickup pattern, for example, will only pick up sound that bounces off from the walls in some angles only.

Or perhaps, there's something else at play that changes the sound of my voice as I go from cardioid to omnidirectional. I also haven't changed my microphone mode in a long time, I can do an Audacity recording test to prove the difference (or lack thereof).

The breathing comment was meant to point out just how quiet my room would be, to say that ambient noise won't be a problem with omnidirectional pickup patterns in that specific case. (Because, you know, if the room is dead quiet, otherwise too quiet sounds would be more audible.)

That post was referring to the OP, which said 'omnidirectional is  more sensitive'. Well, the direction is only referring to the pickup polar pattern, not the sensitivity itself. 

This is a good resource:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cj18EQQAm8

Followed by real life examples:

And the meteorite does pickup breathing sound. I'll try to record it later on.

• 1 year later...

I have a mechanical keyboard, pretty loud also my stock CPU cooler is. so I wont get a omni directional mic. i'm gonna buy this one because my headset mic broke and had problems in the past https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28480/antlion-modmic-4-0-uni-attachable-boom-microphone

CPU: i5 8600K 4.6GHz  GPU: GTX 1060 6GB RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16GB PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 700W Motherboard: ROG Strix Z370-G Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Seagate 3TB Case: NZXT H440 Cooling: BeQuiet! Pure Rock