Steam now allows game developers to ban users from their games

zappian

For the sake of argument lets assume they dont.

Do you agree with destroying the SP portion of a game to someone who was banned for cheating on MP ?

If you cheat you wont be able to launch the game , and not all games separate SP and MP like cod does.

You sure it won't just block you from going online? And IMO if you cheat online you cheated and you shouldn't even be allowed to play the game at all.

sounds good, but would want a refund

why? :D  Because you are cheating , so you want a refund when banned?  Go hit your face with a brick .

why? :D Because you are cheating , so you want a refund when banned? Go hit your face with a brick .

That's uncessarly rude. No, if I get banned with no explanation from a game, I want my money back. Otherwise I could troll people and report them cheating so they lose 60$. Be a good way to get back at the enemy team.

CS GO has a anti cheating system.

This is meant for smaller devs that dont have such system.

I suspect it will also see some use by the big devs - to ban people who display a habit of skirting the boundaries of cheating without actually setting off any anti-cheats.

As it is right now there is a lot of incentive to find any possible exploit, then use it as much as possible until "the law" catches up with you.  This ability will tend to disincentivise that tactic. 

im fine with it...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Thats what I am afraid will happen , people will be scared to even speak out agaist a dev.

You are afraid you will get banned from playing a game you didn't like?

I suppose it is a possible outcome, but I kind of doubt it will be a significant problem - mainly because it would be the best possible way for a new dev to reduce the number of customers interested in their next game.  

So not exactly a winning long term business strategy.

Nothing, because this is perfectly fine. 

Perfectly fine? Really?

So you're saying their idea to add paid mods, which don't even give much of the profit to the person who MADE the mod was a perfectly fine idea?

And that letting developers just go around banning people from their games all willy nilly if they want to is perfectly fine too?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Someone rant in Gabe's face steam is diggin really really hard i mean it.

Its goona go down really badly if they pulls a few more stunts like these... pfft.

Perfectly fine? Really?

So you're saying their idea to add paid mods, which don't even give much of the profit to the person who MADE the mod was a perfectly fine idea?

And that letting developers just go around banning people from their games all willy nilly if they want to is perfectly fine too?

I support paid mods as long as its optional, and the mod makers/people who host the website get the vast majority, if not 100%. 

for this, My concern is devs banning people who give negative reviews. or a auto ban system, and people report others willy nilly to get them out of the game. 

I support paid mods as long as its optional, and the mod makers/people who host the website get the vast majority, if not 100%. 

for this, My concern is devs banning people who give negative reviews. or a auto ban system, and people report others willy nilly to get them out of the game. 

Yeah . We just have to wait and see how it plays out.

I have my doubts about this .

I know you guys complain about the nanny state a lot, but In Australia the Ombudsman and FCCC would have a field day with valve for making a paid game unplayable (almost on any level).  Consumer rights FTW.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I know you guys complain about the nanny state a lot, but In Australia the Ombudsman and FCCC would have a field day with valve for making a paid game unplayable (almost on any level).  Consumer rights FTW.

I wonder how far their reach extends on the internet.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What the fuck has steam been smoking recently?

idk but gimme some pls

I wonder how far their reach extends on the internet.....

Only to the border.  It gets complicated after that because we have an FTA with the US and the ACCC have sued valve before.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well that's just like saying "you hate broccoli and now you're not allowed to eat them"

Is VAC limited to the specific game you were banned from? I was under the impression it had broader consequences.

Is VAC limited to the specific game you were banned from? I was under the impression it had broader consequences.

If you are VAC banned you are vac banned in all games that support VAC.

Theres a list of them on wikipedia .

So it's not "if you don't like broccoli, then you're banned from broccoli", it's "if you say you don't like broccoli you could be banned from food." Which is quite different.

Only to the border.  It gets complicated after that because we have an FTA with the US and the ACCC have sued valve before.

Bugger.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So it's not "if you don't like broccoli, then you're banned from broccoli", it's "if you say you don't like broccoli you could be banned from food." Which is quite different.

True but this isnt VAC.

This is an alternative to VAC for small indie devs , according to what valve said to ban "misbehaving " users.

Now that wording is very loose but what they mean is cheaters.

This only applies to the said game where a person cheated for example preventing them to launch the game according to what has been said.

True but this isnt VAC.

This is an alternative to VAC for small indie devs , according to what valve said to ban "misbehaving " users.

This only applies to the said game where a person cheated for example preventing them to launch the game according to what has been said.

Fair enough.

True but this isnt VAC.

Hmmmm, thinking about it some people have been flagged falsely for cheating and for some reason this implementaion reminds me of an ol' quote from ol' Gaben.

73dd29716f8e9d83758c6b49da1c5ed1.png

I think this may. I should stop typing as im probably going to say something stupid. Hmm *flies away*

Steve

i dont like this with steams already piss poor customer support i guarantee that it end badly for the consumer that is

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

8bbc9f74e3449cccf032a408068d8543.png

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869

You should have added some clarification for the 'If you are VAC banned you are vac banned in all games that support VAC' As that isn't completely true.

But on the actual topic I do think this implementation is a good idea. Yes, there will be developers who will exploit it and I'm sure Valve will deal with them quickly and swiftly if things begin to get out of hand. Games like Payday 2 are riddled with cheaters and up to now there hasn't been much in the way of counteracting those cheaters, they have implemented some cheater detection but only properly works when you're the host. I don't quite understand all the hate that has been brought up for this as I only see this as a good thing, yes there will be a few bad eggs, but I highly doubt they would stay in position especially for the fact of how publicized developer shenanigans gets. Additionally I'm under the assumption that the policy for lifting the bans will be much more lenient, let's say a user is able to provide proof that they were falsely banned I'm sure Valve would lift the ban as it is a completely different situation than the VAC Banning.  And if from that proof it showed that the developer was doing some fishy stuff in terms of banning, I'm also sure that they would get banning rights revoked.

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

8bbc9f74e3449cccf032a408068d8543.png

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-Radz-6869

You should have added some clarification for the 'If you are VAC banned you are vac banned in all games that support VAC' As that isn't completely true.

Indeed , I admit I confused that a bit.

If you cheat on ANY gold source game you are vac banned in every one of them.