Steam now allows game developers to ban users from their games

zappian

If you ever put a foot in the online gaming community since Ultima Online, you’ll know that cheating is a thing and it’s a huge problem. Many games implement their own system to face the problem. Valve, for example, has VAC. When someone is caught cheating, usually the way to go is a ban. Not all the developers, especially the small ones, have the means to implement or buy an anti cheating system or to enforce a ban. Valve wants to try to offer a solution for the latter problem giving all the developers the option to have Steam prevent misbehaving users to launch their game.

Game developers that find disruptive players in their games, can now inform Valve about said players. Valve then proceeds to issue a game ban on the culript account. To be noticed that a game account ban only prevents the player to launch the game he was supposedly found cheating on, so the Steam account itself will remain functional.

This feature is a great advantage for small developers of multiplayer games. Enforce a ban is not always easy. If the game doesn’t force you to create an account to play multiplayer, it can be particularly tricky. We all know how much we love creating an account for every single game we play. Delegate the ban enforcing to Steam is an easy and quick way to make sure to revoke access to your game to cheaters.

So now Steam wants to give a option for small devs to regulate their user base.

Misbehaving users will be banned , misbehaving can be cheating , or just disagreeing with the developer.

I have no idea how valve will implement this  , and this is easily exploitable.

Dont agree with a game developer ? Think their game is bad? You may get banned from using the game .

Also if a game has SP and MP components you may be locked out of the SP part if you cheat on a MP game.

I hope valve is sensible in how they implement this.

According to valve the developer chooses why to ban a person , valve only enforces the ban.

This will be exploitable , i guarantee you.

The game developer is solely responsible for the decision to apply a game ban. Valve only enforces the game ban as instructed by the game developer.

CLARIFICATION:

This is completely separated of valves anti cheating system :

Cheaters, or those who engage in “disruptive” behavior, on Valve’s Steam service will need to be very wary from now on, as the firm is now enabling game developers to permanently ban players from their games, a Steam support page revealed.

It’s important to note that this is completely separate from Valve’s own measures against cheating, namely its Valve Anti-Cheat system (VAC). Here, the company is simply allowing developers to ban players from their games, not banning them on its own.

Original article : https://techraptor.net/content/steam-now-allows-game-developers-to-ban-users-from-their-games 

Yay for slightly more control over cheating!

Don't forget to Like the things you like!

Think their game is bad? You may get banned from using the game .

Well that's just like saying "you hate broccoli and now you're not allowed to eat them"

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Gotta be more careful.... Damn steam....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I hate cheaters so much.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

We need this in world of tanks, hell we do.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Lets hope game devs don't go over zealous in their BAN hammering.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

I dont feel like completely banning them from the game entirely is right. What if there's singleplayer or coop? Your SOL then.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So Steam is going from bad to worse and now devs can take shit further if their stitched together unity asset based games get called out for being what they are. Well that's just fucked.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Now if only they could make DayZ playable, by getting rid of 99% of the assholes that immediately shoot everyone they see, without warning, for no reason other than to troll.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Lets hope game devs don't go over zealous in their BAN hammering.

We already know a few that would do so on the spot at the slightest hint of dissenting opinions

Now if only they could make DayZ playable, by getting rid of 99% of the assholes that immediately shoot everyone they see, without warning, for no reason other than to troll.

its funny :3

though I generally play nice

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Maybe this will be implemented in CS:GO to directly OW ban cheaters

I like your sense of humor. CS will never be cheat-free. 

Computer Specs: CPU: i7 3770k, GPU: EVGA GTX 770, PSU: Corsair HX 850W, Case: Fractal Design R4, Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 240 Pin DDR3, Corsair H100i Liquid CPU CoolerKingston HyperX 240GB SSD (OS), WD 1TB HDD Black Edition

This is probably a good thing a lot of small time devs have problems with hackers and cheaters

as long as they dont abuse the system, I dont see an issue

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This is probably a good thing a lot of small time devs have problems with hackers and cheaters

as long as they dont abuse the system, I dont see an issue

They will abuse the system .

Its naive to think otherwise.

Valve itself banned people from the dicussion board for shitting on paid mods.

This will be abused , thats the problem.

This is a perfect tool for early access scam artists like the air control developer.

They will abuse the system .

Its naive to think otherwise.

Valve itself banned people from the dicussion board for shitting on paid mods.

This will be abused , thats the problem.

This is a perfect tool for early access scam artists like the air control developer.

Banning people from the discussion boards is a little different to whole games

I see it being an issue with some of the less trust-able devs - people say their game is shit so they just blanket ban all their players etc - i think 95% of devs would not be an issue though

This will be abused, but hopefully when it is--an uproar can be had in relation to it.  I think this is overall a very good thing as many, many.. many.. good lord many alpha games as of late go from, "Wow this is really nice!"  to "Well.. if I wanted this many people flying around and playing speaker-killing sounds, I may as well go on a public GMOD server."

CS GO has a anti cheating system.

This is meant for smaller devs that dont have such system.

CS GO has VAC and OW.

From what I know OW currently is used to filter cheaters and then a valve admin has to hand out a VAC ban after reviewing footage themselves.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log