GTX980s - (Realistically) Will the release of the 300 series and 980Ti/Metal lower the cost?

xeromynd

Having just been gifted a copy of GTAV and some other AAA titles, because birthday, the itch I've been having to upgrade my 760 to a 980 is now huge.

But I'd like to get a decent price on it. For the past few months, I've been telling myself "wait for the AMD 300 series to come out, then maybe NVIDIA will price their cards a bit more competitively." Recent news of the 300 series supposedly not being as 'budget-friendly' as some had hoped, combined with the limited quantity upon release, has led me to believe that NVIDIA prices aren't going to change whatsoever.

Am I daft in assuming they will?

-Also, side note, any deals on the EVGA GTX 980 SC you know of? Would be greatly appreciated. Even saving $5 is worth it, never hurts to save $$$. That card is the only one that interests me at the moment. Others, (imo) are ugly except for the HOF 980, which is overpriced.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Hard to tell wait a month because when the 980 came out a month after 780tis became cheap

Well in technology you can always be waiting for something new. Sometimes you just have to jump in and make the purchase.

I think a slight price reduction will occur during AMD's launch of the 3xx series. I've been waiting to upgrade my GPU for the same reason. I mean, it is right around the corner, waiting is the smart choice.

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P CPU: AMD FX 8350 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8gb (2x4gb@1600Mhz) GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x (factory oc) PSU: Thermaltake SmartSE 730w Case: Corsair 200R

Blog thingy <----

You know the GPUs will get cheaper every month but every month will bring you closer to a new launch of GPUs so waiting isn't the solution because NVIDIA is releasing quite a lot of cards recently

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Well in technology you can always be waiting for something new. Sometimes you just have to jump in and make the purchase.

This is true, but I'm not looking forward at the 'better technology" as a possible purchase. I'm gung-ho for a 980, not Pascal stuff or anything beyond. I know it will last quite a while. I do want to upgrade within the next few months though, while finances allow it

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

The only way i'd see them actually lowering prices would be if it was around the same $500 price of the 980 with noticeably better performance. If so then maybe, but otherwise no. Typically that's how they do things. Usually a set price for each tier until they release their own next gen cards. I would still say wait and see though. I'd be pissed if i bought a card that dropped $100 or something like a month later.

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/