Live Callers on The WAN Show

LinusTech

The Call-ins are great but could be better if there were some kind of tutorial and tips so that newbies like myself would know ho to setup coms and mute the stream when going live. asside from that having tech personalities like paul and logan is awesome. may i suggest making a poll on certain live stream guess.

i personally would like to suggest melonie mac on the show,she gives a girl games and tech perspective, im sure slick would like that...btw i dont really agree with doing 2 seperate shows,the WAN show followed by the after party is perfect segments. adding more would make it difficult for most of your viewers to keep track,especially us in south east asia. could i suggest The WAN show do news,and tech personality call-ins and twitter for viewer interactions while live calls for after party..

We can have multiple people call in to talk about the topic at the same time... would that work? (2 or 3 people)

I need more SSDs.

I think razer comms needs something like the skype call test bot, so that people can easily check their mic.

I need more SSDs.

I think razer comms needs something like the skype call test bot, so that people can easily check their mic.

There is. 

Hey guys - just thought i would give my own view on things. The "behind the scenes" if you will

Mic checks need to be done because some people I can not even understand or hear.

The keyboard typing in the background was rough.

People need to mute the stream or don't let them on the show.

People that phone in I assume go on the forums so maybe have the topics in a post before hand so people can look up information before instead of last second.

Have people calling in during the main show only answering the topic and the after party can be people calling in and asking questions.

Mic checks are done on all the callers prior to their entry into the live room. The problems arise as our sound settings aren't the same as Linus' or Slick's, therefore we can't be sure the levels are fine. We are mainly checking to see if their mics are of good enough quality and don't have some annoying buzz or cut out intermittently.

The keyboard typing and static was one of us; however, it was impossible to deduce who it was. This is because the Comms software wasn't showing everyone who had their mic on, to have their mic on. This is to be expected with beta software; however, we ill try to eliminate this come next week - hopefully.

Yeah, it is great to have other people in the industry call in. However, I would say have specific topics to talk about with them, and then have other topics for people to either call in and give their opinion, or just to talk about and let people know. As you said, the Q and A is best left to twitter, and seems to be more of a hassle with the live callers. Opinions are nice, but I think there could be a better way to screen them and get a select few, like when you were asking about 30 vs. 60 fps in the live stream, you got a bunch of callers that were PC gamers when you asked for console guys. Maybe have two or three callers for each topic with varying opinions, so you can get different viewpoints of one topic without having the same response over and over. 

Screening was a pretty big problem the most recent live stream. There were so many people (i estimate in excess of around 500people) in the open room. We would just have to add one person at a time, mic check, and then get them into the waiting room. There wasn't much time to ask them specifically what their point was as this simply would've taken too much time and we would only have 3 or 4 callers the whole live stream, rather than the 8 or 9 we really had.

Having a subject and having people call up about that was much better than getting people to call in with questions so kudos for that move.

I dont watch the stream live so I have never tried to use Razer Comms, but if there was some way to load profiles for the stream and hotkey stuff around... I don't know... anything to streamline it.

Have you had any chats with Razor about how you are using it? Are they able to have it so you can add shortlisted calls to the live stream and then Linus/Slick have the ability to mute/unmute selected callers. That way you wouldn't have to worry about dragging across calls and having that awkward downtime... 

Tech personalities are awesome though! Keep that up.

Mute and unmute select callers doesn't exactly work right now - another beta bug. We do try to queue up people, but as i said before, it is hard to keep up. This is especially difficult if the topic suddenly changes as you have 3 people queued up to answer / make their point on one topic, and then it switches. We basically have to find a new set of callers which obviously takes time.

Get whoever is monitoring the callers to be a bit less lenient on who gets let into the call room. I noticed alot of people on the call in last time were very finicky and mostly just danced around the questions without answering them, or gave very generic, bland answers that really didn't answer much. some even went as far to basically throw the question back at you guys without even thinking about it.

Anyway, I think you guys will get it down pat soon enough :)

As said previously, this would take too long; however, it is something we'll try to do from now on - ask them to give us at least a broad outline of their point and opinions. We did try to get callers who had somewhat of an interesting point of view; however, from over 500 people, it can be hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Maybe have callers queued up BEFORE the stream starts so then we dont have to wait for them to be patched through.

This would be good; however, on our end at least, it's very rushed. I.E we don't know the topics beforehand, therefore, we can't queue anyone up prior to the stream as we don't have the topics to hand. This is just a communication issue between the mod team and Linus & Slick which i'm sure will get ironed out next week.

This would be good; however, on our end at least, it's very rushed. I.E we don't know the topics beforehand, therefore, we can't queue anyone up prior to the stream as we don't have the topics to hand. This is just a communication issue between the mod team and Linus & Slick which i'm sure will get ironed out next week.

Ya, if you could get the stream list you guys could que people up before hand and then its less stressful. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

The keyboard typing and static was one of us; however, it was impossible to deduce who it was. This is because the Comms software wasn't showing everyone who had their mic on, to have their mic on. This is to be expected with beta software; however, we ill try to eliminate this come next week - hopefully.

Static was Whaler even though he wasn't active in the call. The keyboard was the actual caller - there was only Linus, the caller and myself actively in the call and I was on mute and don't have a mech board. 

Giving my complete honest opinion the caller thing is a complete fiasco.

Putting a lot more planning into it would make it better. Windspeed should have his mic balanced to the stream and then a 3rd person/mod should help the callers mic get balanced to Windspeed mic before the call.

Also, anyone with a poor mic should get turned down. Turning the volume down to almost zero every time these callers call in is not ideal.

These people should also list 3-5 things they want to talk about.

Then, they should all be put into a waiting room and picked depending on what they know at a moments notice to join the live stream (even carried on to the next week if you run out of time), as these people will have been screen you should let them talk between each other to get some of the nervousness away, because that's another thing that makes the call-ins really awkward.

This would probably take an hour or two before the stream but I don't see this working any other way. Like a suggestion above said; moderators should be made/assigned for the livestream call-ins specifically.

In fact the only other way I can think of would be to "pre-record" the callers and then air them later. Although this wouldn't really be live.

I think that's the reason why the call with Paul worked so well;

1. He had a good mic.
  2. He knew what he was talking about and it was therefore interesting.

So if all the other callers get set-up like Paul then it would probably work well.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Static was Whaler even though he wasn't active in the call. The keyboard was the actual caller - there was only Linus, the caller and myself actively in the call and I was on mute and don't have a mech board. 

I got blamed for the static :( Atmidetely my mic was quite quiet due to just buying it the day before and figuring out settings with coms.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

Then, they should all be put into a waiting room and picked depending on what they know at a moments notice to join the live stream (even carried on to the next week if you run out of time), as these people will have been screen you should let them talk between each other to get some of the nervousness away, because that's another thing that makes the call-ins really awkward.

This. It was super nerve racking going from watching the stream to talking on it on a seconds notice.

Screening was fairly easy, but I sat in the waiting room for about 30 mins or so.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

You might be interested to know that when I was on the WAN show I couldn't tell when you were talking to Slick because the stream was too delayed for me to see who you were focusing on, so I had to go by voice. I think a few other people might have made the same mistake and unknowingly "butted in" on your conversation with Slick. Just some food for thought.

You might be interested to know that when I was on the WAN show I couldn't tell when you were talking to Slick because the stream was too delayed for me to see who you were focusing on, so I had to go by voice. I think a few other people might have made the same mistake and unknowingly "butted in" on your conversation with Slick. Just some food for thought.

That why you should mute the stream and listen through only comms. That way you don't have the delay and you are talking in real time with Slick and Linus..

That why you should mute the stream and listen through only comms. That way you don't have the delay and you are talking in real time with Slick and Linus..

I was, but I was still watching the stream (not listening) so I could get a better read on who Linus was talking to but it didn't help due to the delay.

Maybe have callers queued up BEFORE the stream starts so then we dont have to wait for them to be patched through.

The "patch through" isn't actually a mod patching you through, it's just the time it takes a caller in the VIP waiting room to be told he can click the VoIP button, including the delay from the live stream.

I think playing multiplayer games with the viewers would be cool :)

Also maybe q&a in after party only, with a cleared by mod question (to filter out all the "what CPU should I buy" questions).

I was a little upset to find out I was the one answering the question after having thought about an appropriate question all week for the show :'( but I was still glad I got to express one of my opinions on the show.

Maybe have the viewer call in topic announced at the end of the live stream so we have all week to prep to base an opinion. I think that would make for more intelligent responses :)

Jolly good show chaps!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

i think the most annoying thing for me in Audio lag

u just keep waiting

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

There should be requrements to the caller to have good mic and the question or the opinion has to be well formulated.

First, tank you for making this topic. I've been thinking best way to give feedback on any live stream. It has been nerverecking sometime when you do something obviously stupid on-air and there's noway to give advise how to reduce it. And then it happens again.

Comms. Is in beta, yes. Therefore it should not be used in this way. I've used Mumble and TS3 for some time now and both are way better than Comms in even basic things. Most annoying issue of all Comms related things is latency. You can see it on-air when Linus finishes his question and it takes several seconds from caller to answer to it. Second problem is quality, but I can't make fair comment about it before I talk with someone who I've talked in Mumble and TS3 before.

Caller&Mod talking. Don't test you mics on Comms. Use external software first and then some other group. We have LTT Forums group just for things like that. If you have loud background noises like mech keyboard, use push-to-talk. I know it's not easy way to talk, but it reduces unneeded noise. It could be also nice if caller could be muted globally so that he/she know their being muted. This is issue with Comms since it isn't server based.

Other things. @LinusTech, mute your mic if you don't want to hear it in your own headphones. You really need producer/director/else to monitor whole show behind cameras. In case of muted mics, wrong scenes etc. there shouldn't be so long time before it's fixed. Please use more lights either for background or foreground. It was bit black+black with same amount of light. This is continuous in unboxings also when there's black object in question.

Idea. Have poll or open topic for each show where users can suggest subjects. It could also be that if user has good topic, they could be featured as caller and have their opinion on-air.

I've also got few ideas on solutions on rapid callings but they are hard to explain when I don't really know your setups.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I thought all the callers where terrible. No one had anything to add and it was really rambley.

Also Paul was awesome on the show and you should defenatly do more. Josh from Fractal would be cool and so would Logan of Wendell from Tek Syndicate.

So talking to the guys, it's kinda annoying to have 1500 people in Comms and Windspeed attempts to screen calls. Instead they should have a discussion thread throughout the week with discussion topics and Windspeed36 or any mod/admin can choose a few people who have good topics and are known for good contributors to the forum rather than risk trolls on the WAN show. Most of us that use Comms regularly can get in and out very easily as we are nearly pros with the program. I think much of us want to hear discussion among the populous but 1500 callers is tough.

So I propose say Windspeed36 creates a weekly thread for us to post our questions or topics. He can choose a few and get us on Comms and talk to us about it. So he knows we have a good discussion topic AND that we know how to use it. And go from there.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

I love the whole idea of letting random people call in and ask their questions, but i think it's being rather poorly executed right now. I think that rather than having people ask short questions with obvious answers (like what graphics card to buy for X amount of money), then booting them out instantly and providing a short answer, you should encourage people to ask longer and more advanced questions and let them discuss your answer with you afterwards. Short questions should be kept to the Twitter Q&A, otherwise what is the point of calling?

Also, peoples' mics should be properly tested before letting them in.

My rig: Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 - Military Green | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.4GHz | Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC | RAM: Corsair 16GB 1600MHz Vengeance | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX | PSU: Corsair AX 750W SSD 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD 2: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB Cooler: Corsair H100 OS: Windows 10 Pro | Fans: Noctua NF-F12 PWM

Peripherals: Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 | Headset: Audio Technica ATH-AD700X | Microphone: Antlion ModMic 4.0 | Mouse mat: Steelseries QcK+ | Monitors: BenQ XL2411T + EIZO Foris FS2331

have a person call in and let them give there opinion and then cut them off,, because those mx blues were really annoying 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |