Live Callers on The WAN Show

LinusTech

Alright.

We're doing live callers. I've wanted to do it for a while, and at this point we've committed to Razer as a sponsor of The WAN Show that we're going to give it a go for at least a couple months to see if the platform can handle it. It's both a testing ground for Comms as well as a way of promoting a software that both Slick and I like quite a lot.

However, there are ways that we can work on making it more streamlined and tailoring it to what the audience wants to see and hear.

1. I think we can all agree having industry personalities as live callers is bueno right? Guys like Paul from NeweggTV or Logan from Tek Syndicate?

2. Q&A was a bit of a fiasco the first week we did it. We got a lot of very simple questions that were probably more appropriate for a thread here on the forum.

3. Getting opinion from callers was a little bit tough this week because of the long delays to get new callers on the line, and the fact that microphones often weren't balanced with us (very quiet) or other technical issues.

4. ?? - you tell us - ??

I'd like to hear your other options for live interaction. 

Go!

Other than what you mentioned I think you should strictly enforce callers to turn down their stream if they're not using a headset to listen as it was distracting when listening to them speak.  Also ban the scotsman from typing on his mx blues or to get his mic away from it as that was annoying as well.  Each week it gets smoother and better though so I'm sure you'll have everything going smooth soon!

I like the call ins, but think it should be separated out a little. Do your normal show, just you guys and the industry call in, and then at the end (or Ina separate shoe) do the view call ins. Its too hard to try and get peoples reactions real time, this is why radio and TV shows ask their questions at the beginning of the show but save the actual call ins till later. Gives the producers a chance to screen calls for the best answers.

It would be nice if afterparty werent only gaming stream, in afterparty you should relax and troll Slick. :)

And it would be great if there will be caller bliz.

What about instead of random Joes giving feedback on something or asking basic questions about what GPU they should purchase with $XXX we do live interviews? We could possibly pick a few people from the forum or people you know maybe with a poll on here that people could vote on to have said person come onto the stream and talk. Interview them on something like what they run in there personal rig, what kind of games do they play, or what they do for a job. There are a lot more possibilities for a fun and more interactive stream and you'll get a conversation that has a bit of meaning behind it rather than what random person X thinks about topic A. You could even interview the people that are picked for build log of the week!

Stop asking "Can you hear me" god does that get annoying
Stop asking computer upgrade questions go to the forums for those or twitter.

Discussions should be kept shorter so people don't ramble on about it.

Mic checks need to be done because some people I can not even understand or hear.

The keyboard typing in the background was rough.

People need to mute the stream or don't let them on the show.

Having logan or paul would be nice for the show. Maybe josh from fractal or other PR members of tech companies to talk about a product if it it relevant to a topic.

It does still seem a little rough right now but I expect it to get better with time.

People that phone in I assume go on the forums so maybe have the topics in a post before hand so people can look up information before instead of last second.

Have people calling in during the main show only answering the topic and the after party can be people calling in and asking questions.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Yeah, it is great to have other people in the industry call in. However, I would say have specific topics to talk about with them, and then have other topics for people to either call in and give their opinion, or just to talk about and let people know. As you said, the Q and A is best left to twitter, and seems to be more of a hassle with the live callers. Opinions are nice, but I think there could be a better way to screen them and get a select few, like when you were asking about 30 vs. 60 fps in the live stream, you got a bunch of callers that were PC gamers when you asked for console guys. Maybe have two or three callers for each topic with varying opinions, so you can get different viewpoints of one topic without having the same response over and over. 

I think you need something to do while you wait for people to call in about the topic at hand, on radio stations they play music, I think you guys need something similarly mundane to do while you wait.

def , we need you to be able to control live caller levels... we have had too many lousy calls.

I like special guests, but i think discussion with live caller should be done with fair limited numbers.

I feel as if you are rushing them and don't really allow them to contribute much after the initial comment/question. There have been a few times where it sounds like the caller wanted to say something else as you were saying good bye to them. Also as soon as they come in stop asking right away what they want to talk about. Maybe you could get to know them just a bit better instead of their username. Pretty much what I think I am trying to say is try to make it a bit more personal. I feel as if you are handling them as if they where a talking tweet. 

Other then that I really do enjoy them and I think once everything is finalised it will be a great addition the the wan show :)

Having a subject and having people call up about that was much better than getting people to call in with questions so kudos for that move.

I dont watch the stream live so I have never tried to use Razer Comms, but if there was some way to load profiles for the stream and hotkey stuff around... I don't know... anything to streamline it.

Have you had any chats with Razor about how you are using it? Are they able to have it so you can add shortlisted calls to the live stream and then Linus/Slick have the ability to mute/unmute selected callers. That way you wouldn't have to worry about dragging across calls and having that awkward downtime... 

Tech personalities are awesome though! Keep that up.

I was a bit surprised with the changes on the Live stream this week. Is there any other reason why it's called the WAN show now? I really don't mind with the name change but a lot of people of youtube are like freaking out about it (as usual). One little change and everyone loses their mind but yeah I think the live callers was a bit a disappointing (which was expected to honest) from the last show. I think (IMO) you should answer more Twitter Q's than trying to get someone to call the show. I think the callers segment is fit for the after party, where in they can voice out their opinion about the topics during the "WAN SHOW". 

I would like to have the industry personalities as live callers would be a great thing to have during the general discussion once in awhile. You and slick could be doing regular topics, and have for example, Logan from Tek syndicate in the Comms room with you, and he would be able to get in on the discussion topics as well and give his ideas and thoughts. It would help to add a bit more of a changing dynamic to the show each week, and you don't necessarily have to do that all the time. Just you And slick talking about the topics is fine too.

Get whoever is monitoring the callers to be a bit less lenient on who gets let into the call room. I noticed alot of people on the call in last time were very finicky and mostly just danced around the questions without answering them, or gave very generic, bland answers that really didn't answer much. some even went as far to basically throw the question back at you guys without even thinking about it.

Anyway, I think you guys will get it down pat soon enough :)

Suggested "Industry personalities":

JJ from Asus
Paul from Newegg TV
Logan from Teksyndicate
Wendell from tek syndicate (Really cool to have him talk during the discussion topics, he's a very well thought out intellectual type of guy)
Austin from Duncan33303
Elric from TechOfTomorrow
Lou (Lew?) from UnboxTherapy
TheCrazyRussian or NCIX Esther
Ryan from pcper
TimmyTechTV
Someone from Hardware Canucks

I was actually a live caller in the first WAN Show. I chatted about Consoles with you and Slick.

One thing I figured was that it was super nerveracking trying to sound intelligent while 4,000 plus Techheads we're listening! No idea how you and Slick do it.

1. Having Guests in the tech/youtube community = 100% winning.

2. Yes Q&A should be Twitter based.

3. My bad! I had a new microphone and was trying to figure out the settings with Razer Comms.

4. It was handled really well by the modteam, they were very professional at handling it. It was cool being a VIP in the WAN Waiting room! Also maybe turn down the Blue Yeti mic juuuust a smidge, as it was quite loud, especially when you get really enthused ;D

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

I would like to have the industry personalities as live callers would be a great thing to have during the general discussion once in awhile. You and slick could be doing regular topics, and have for example, Logan from Tek syndicate in the Comms room with you, and he would be able to get in on the discussion topics as well and give his ideas and thoughts. It would help to add a bit more of a changing dynamic to the show each week, and you don't necessarily have to do that all the time. Just you And slick talking about the topics is fine too.

Get whoever is monitoring the callers to be a bit less lenient on who gets let into the call room. I noticed alot of people on the call in last time were very finicky and mostly just danced around the questions without answering them, or gave very generic, bland answers that really didn't answer much. some even went as far to basically throw the question back at you guys without even thinking about it.

Anyway, I think you guys will get it down pat soon enough :)

Suggested "Industry personalities":

JJ from Asus

Paul from Newegg TV

Logan from Teksyndicate

Wendell from tek syndicate (Really cool to have him talk during the discussion topics, he's a very well thought out intellectual type of guy)

Austin from Duncan33303

Elric from TechOfTomorrow

Lou (Lew?) from UnboxTherapy

TheCrazyRussian or NCIX Esther

Ryan from pcper

TimmyTechTV

Someone from Hardware Canucks

Speaking of people, see if you can get TJ Harlow! lol

Also, can we get Tiny Tom Logan from Overclock3D on? Time zones might be tough but he's the only reviewer I watch as much as you guys and that would be awesome.

Maybe have callers queued up BEFORE the stream starts so then we dont have to wait for them to be patched through.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

In all honesty, I'd prefer it if you kept the calls to just a few during the live stream.  Ideally somewhat pre-planned.  1) Online-personality and/or expert  2) a couple normal forum members where they are ready to go before the call begins, not just in terms of prepped in the comms queue but also ready to talk about the topic at hand.

Twitter is better for Q&A (albeit not ideal), I see no point in someone calling in to ask a question.  The calls should be purely for discussion.

What I would personally love to see is having the Q&A posed on the forum and the community can like/recommend the questions that they would like to see answered on the live stream.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Can you and Slick add more buid logs of the week?

I love that part of the stream so much that i usually skip to build logs of the week and after that i go to beginnig and watch hole stream.

(5-builds would be nice)

I really like the call-ins just think it should be separated from the news and twitter Q&A. Like you were mentioning about having 2 separate live streams focusing on different things. I would really enjoy that and I also think it would make it alot easier as well as giving you more time to talk about the news.

Also it would help if the callers weren't asking simple questions that could be easily answered on the forum and to make sure that their mics are working good.

Having Paul as the guest was really awesome can't wait for Logan next live stream. Also having Kyle and maybe even JJ or Josh would be great too.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I'd love to see TTL on... I love his in-depth reviews, although most of it is over some mundane detail.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

1 - This was quite awesome, maybe have a few topics to talk about with more time set aside?

2 - Stick to twitter Q&A please!!!

3 - This was also kindof a cluster fuck. More about this in 4.

4 - Maybe set aside 30 minutes before/after WAN (I love the name also) or on another day with a set topic, which is posted on forums ahead of time. Also a screening process needs to be set up for mic quality and such.

I like the idea but the placement (chronologic) is kind of wrong imo.

It would be better to do the show as normal, and during the afterparty you should accept callers that can add something or with who you can discuss :-)

Proud to be from Belgium.