Static still exists :(

Octavialicious

You could try ferrite beads and RFI filter. Both worked wonder for me.

Usually the front ones are the ones at fault due to poor or incorrect case grounding.

It could also just have been those ports at the back.  It wouldn't bee the first time I have seen inexplicable issues with one usb port but not the one beside it.

Then check the audio sources in the sound control panel to see if any programs or anything are causing it, otherwise it could just be a crappy integrated audio card letting there be interference causing the static.

Could be radiation interference from power cables, otherwise the only other possibility is that it is coming in over the Modi's usb connection.

Does moving your Schiit around affect the amount of static?

I officially give up. I routed my cable so well to the point where no other cables are near it, and I still get static. I tried the front port, the back port, the other back ports... and nothing. So tired of this stupid static, spend so much on stupid headphones and I can't even listen to it without it being distorted

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I officially give up. I routed my cable so well to the point where no other cables are near it, and I still get static. I tried the front port, the back port, the other back ports... and nothing. So tired of this stupid static, spend so much on stupid headphones and I can't even listen to it without it being distorted

What kind of static is it? Could you try making a recording of it?

What kind of static is it? Could you try making a recording of it?

I'll try, but it's hard to hear

basically it sounds like the sound is stuttering, and it kinda sounds like the sound headphones make when you first plug them into a jack

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I'll try, but it's hard to hear

basically it sounds like the sound is stuttering, and it kinda sounds like the sound headphones make when you first plug them into a jack

I would assume that to be a problem with how the digital audio is processed through the computer. Stuttering indicates there's gaps in the normally continuous stream of audio data. Might want to run through the typical software troubleshooting steps (virus scan, software updates, change media players etc). 

I would assume that to be a problem with how the digital audio is processed through the computer. Stuttering indicates there's gaps in the normally continuous stream of audio data. Might want to run through the typical software troubleshooting steps (virus scan, software updates, change media players etc). 

Do you think reinstalling windows could fix it? Not the most enjoyable thing ever, but if it has a chance of fixing it I'll do it in an instant

Do you think reinstalling windows could fix it? Not the most enjoyable thing ever, but if it has a chance of fixing it I'll do it in an instant

try on another computer first and see if it makes any difference

try on another computer first and see if it makes any difference

tried it on my phone and laptop, no static

tried it on my phone and laptop, no static

I think he meant with the Schiit, obviously your headphones are not the culprit.

I think he meant with the Schiit, obviously your headphones are not the culprit.

ah, but anyways I tried that yesterday and still static :/

ah, but anyways I tried that yesterday and still static :/

You tried your Schiit stack on another computer?

You tried your Schiit stack on another computer?

ye, my samsung laptop

ye, my samsung laptop

So maybe the issue is with the stack, then, time to contact Schiit for support/RMA?

ye, my samsung laptop

If there was static when you tried it on your laptop then its the stack, not your pc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So maybe the issue is with the stack, then, time to contact Schiit for support/RMA?

If there was static when you tried it on your laptop then its the stack, not your pc.

stupid me, I'm really tired

I meant to say there was no static

also, I notice restarting my pc fixes the static, but it can come back later on (talking about my desktop)

also, I notice restarting my pc fixes the static, but it can come back later on (talking about my desktop)

@[member=Oktyabr] had a problem like that, I don't know that he ever managed to figure a cause; it just went away on it's own if I remember right.

It could be any one a hundred things then,  I'd start by checking all the USB devices, try and borrow someone elses DAC to test.  If you get static with those two then it is either corrupted drivers, a dodgy mobo or dodgy PSU/earth.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@[member=Oktyabr] had a problem like that, I don't know that he ever managed to figure a cause; it just went away on it's own if I remember right.

It has been here for almost two months :(

It could be any one a hundred things then,  I'd start by checking all the USB devices, try and borrow someone elses DAC to test.  If you get static with those two then it is either corrupted drivers, a dodgy mobo or dodgy PSU/earth.

I've tried another dac and reinstalling drivers many times

do you think installing windows again might fix it?

I've tried another dac and reinstalling drivers many times

do you think installing windows again might fix it?

So the other dac worked fine or had static too.

If you have already checked the usb drivers you have and searched for rare conflicts (sometimes with specific motherboards sata drivers can interfere with USB operation), then you have nothing to lose from a windows install.  I know it;s a long shot but before you re install windows maybe if you can borrow a PSU try swapping that out first (just basic elimination before the task of re install).

• 2 weeks later...

So the other dac worked fine or had static too.

If you have already checked the usb drivers you have and searched for rare conflicts (sometimes with specific motherboards sata drivers can interfere with USB operation), then you have nothing to lose from a windows install.  I know it;s a long shot but before you re install windows maybe if you can borrow a PSU try swapping that out first (just basic elimination before the task of re install).

It's back, but I might actually be getting a new psu soon for a completely unrelated reason so hopefully that helps :) if not I guess I'll try the windows reinstall

It's back, but I might actually be getting a new psu soon for a completely unrelated reason so hopefully that helps :) if not I guess I'll try the windows reinstall

Ok, first, are you sure the PC is properly grounded, and the motherboard's installment doesn't leak electricity to the casing? My PC wasn't properly grounded, and I just found out after 2-3 years of using. Touched the casing with a testpen, and it lit up. Did a power recabling, and now it's properly grounded.

Next, I bought and installed an RFI filter (choke) to the external dac's power cable, mainly out of curiosity, but turned out to be a very good thing. It really helps a lot. All this time I thought the amp part of my dac is just not very good, low SNR. Turned out after installing RFI filter, the noise floor got suppressed by quite a lot, making it more 'silent' when the volume is cranked up with nothing playing. 

The RFI filter was $2-3 for a 6 amp rating, and I'd gladly choose to try it first, instead of all the hassle of reinstalling windows.

Ok, first, are you sure the PC is properly grounded, and the motherboard's installment doesn't leak electricity to the casing? My PC wasn't properly grounded, and I just found out after 2-3 years of using. Touched the casing with a testpen, and it lit up. Did a power recabling, and now it's properly grounded.

Next, I bought and installed an RFI filter (choke) to the external dac's power cable, mainly out of curiosity, but turned out to be a very good thing. It really helps a lot. All this time I thought the amp part of my dac is just not very good, low SNR. Turned out after installing RFI filter, the noise floor got suppressed by quite a lot, making it more 'silent' when the volume is cranked up with nothing playing.

The RFI filter was $2-3 for a 6 amp rating, and I'd gladly choose to try it first, instead of all the hassle of reinstalling windows.

I'll look around in my case tomorrow, and can you send me the link to a good rfi filter?

By the way, not quite sure how to properly ground my PC. I know how to ground myself before building, but that is it. Can you explain please? :P

I'll look around in my case tomorrow, and can you send me the link to a good rfi filter?

By the way, not quite sure how to properly ground my PC. I know how to ground myself before building, but that is it. Can you explain please? :P

In my case, the power cable going in the PSU is the schuko typed male plug, usually found in Europe, or so I read. 

This is the male plug I have on the power cable:

electricity-tiles-type-F-200-px.jpg

While the UPS female I'm plugging it into is the 3 pronged type, like this: 

electricity-tiles-type-G-200-px.jpg

With a little variant on the bottom 2 prong holes that enables it to be plugged with round prongs.

So all this time, the ground prong wasn't used at all. A testpen would lit when I touched it to the back casing. Recabled it so the ground prong of the UPS is used (gotta be VERY careful not to mistake the polarities), and the testpen stopped lighting after that.

As for the RFI filter: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/331579-diy-noise-filter-mod/

In my case, the power cable going in the PSU is the schuko typed male plug, usually found in Europe, or so I read. 

This is the male plug I have on the power cable:

electricity-tiles-type-F-200-px.jpg

While the UPS female I'm plugging it into is the 3 pronged type, like this: 

electricity-tiles-type-G-200-px.jpg

With a little variant on the bottom 2 prong holes that enables it to be plugged with round prongs.

So all this time, the ground prong wasn't used at all. A testpen would lit when I touched it to the back casing. Recabled it so the ground prong of the UPS is used (gotta be VERY careful not to mistake the polarities), and the testpen stopped lighting after that.

As for the RFI filter: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/331579-diy-noise-filter-mod/

? I'm confused. Is my PSU power cable bad or something?

? I'm confused. Is my PSU power cable bad or something?

That was what happened to me, missing ground polarity connection from the PSU to the UPS. So that's one possibility. Another one is if the mobo was installed in the casing incorrectly, making it leak electricity to the casing. Another one is just a bad mobo, specifically bad noise isolation on the audio section.