Audi Has Made Diesel From Water And Carbon Dioxide

givingtnt

Full post here : http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/audi-make-diesel-water-and-carbon-dioxide

AudiFuel_web_1024.jpg?itok=FgPu5BKj

This week, German car manufacturer Audi has declared that they have been able to create an "e-diesel," or diesel containing ethanol, by using renewable energy to produce a liquid fuel from nothing more than water and carbon dioxide. After a commissioning phase of just four months, the plant in Dresden operated by clean tech company Sunfire has managed to produce its first batch of what they’re calling “blue crude.” The product liquid is composed of long-chain hydrocarbon compounds, similar to fossil fuels, but free from sulfur and aromatics and therefore burns soot-free.

its an amazing advancement. just imagine. if they could pull off a fuel that can be put in your car in a closed loop ! unlimited fuel ! 
the only need is external power to do the chemical bonds and breakdowns of the water and carbon dioxide. its really cool tech tho .

them diesel Volkswagen golf owners , I hate you   :)
does that mean we can buy a eco friendly car that will be running on diesel ? would that be an equivalent to something like a tesla model S at some point ? 

it sure would be cool. but still have the cost of mechanics. compared to an electrical car...

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Of if it was this simple, oil companies simply won't let this happen. Very cool nonetheless.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

saw this on Facebook...

I said only the Germans could make this happen haha

lol I saw it earlier today while at school. couldn't bring it over to ltt xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Of if it was this simple, oil companies simply won't let this happen. Very cool nonetheless.

its not in greedy america though xD

I said only the Germans could make this happen haha

Well, we have to, since nobody cares about diesel in the US.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I wonder how much energy is needed, as it would take away the point if it was a lot.

It's cute that you think only 'murrica is greedy.

Anything that can pull extra CO2 out of the atmosphere is welcome. But eventually, we do need to start reducing, not just stop adding some.

Yeah that kind of shit happens EVERYWHERE. Not just the USA. Stop with the stereotypes.

People have forgotten that capitalism doesnt just mean greed. It means a free and fair economy. The government protecting certain corporations, is what has destroyed things.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I beg to differ. Here in America, it's all about the diesel 4x4 truck.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I beg to differ. Here in America, it's all about the diesel 4x4 truck.

The market share is farely small though. In Europe, basically 50% of the cars are diesel

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

its an amazing advancement. just imagine. if they could pull off a fuel that can be put in your car in a closed loop ! unlimited fuel ! 

the only need is external power to do the chemical bonds and breakdowns of the water and carbon dioxide. its really cool tech tho .

Yeah you can't do that.. Doesn't work.

The market share is farely small though. In Europe, basically 50% of the cars are diesel

But that's because it's more than just diesel trucks. Diesel cars in America aren't as common.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So... how much energy does it take to make diesel this way? I'm pretty certain that CO2 and water don't spontaneously become diesel.

just thinking this. Normally takes a shit ton of time a pressure to make oil. There are also several types of oil. I didn't read the article yet though.

large pickups, commercial trucks, trains, boats. The US probably uses more diesel than Europe. 

Due to the fact that diesel and jet fuel are sometimes interchangeable, i could see this modified for aircraft use.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

It takes a lot more energy to create the diesel than you get from using it, but this is a great way to make diesel when you have no other way to make diesel.

It takes a lot more energy to create the diesel than you get from using it, but this is a great way to make diesel when you have no other way to make diesel.

Its a start though. From here they can refine the process to make it more efficient and produce on a larger scale will bring cost down also.

Blarg

I wouldn't be surprised if it took 100 gallons of regular diesel fuel to "refine" 1 gallon of e-diesel. Still interesting.

Yeah that kind of shit happens EVERYWHERE. Not just the USA. Stop with the stereotypes.

People have forgotten that capitalism doesnt just mean greed. It means a free and fair economy. The government protecting certain corporations, is what has destroyed things.

Capitalism is great at monopolising economic rent and only so so at innovation. Finding applications for existing technology is all well and good but actual cutting edge research is overwhelmingly not done by corporation. There is no foreseeable economic return in most research; for example it took decades for Einstein's work on relativity to find an application in GPS.

Governments lay the essential groundwork for economic growth; a few examples are building infrastructure, educating the next generation of workers, creating a legal system enforcement of contracts and protection of property, providing public goods that the market will undersupply and healthcare so becoming sick or getting injured doesn't leave you destitute.

I don't know how to feel about this ... Is the Diesel less potent that real Diesel though ? If Carbon emission is lesser than Real Diesel then that would be a WIN-WIN ( Except we would have to use water ... )

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

So... how much energy does it take to make diesel this way? I'm pretty certain that CO2 and water don't spontaneously become diesel.

CO2 + H2O <=> H2CO3 ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ...