Andre's Cube PC Build

andrevautour

thanks guys

i think there was a little too much thermal paste on there the first time. when i added the 92mm fan i cleaned the cpu and the base of the cooler then reapplied a smaller drop of paste.  not sure what makes the most difference the new paste or the 92mm but the 92mm does blow directly onto the CPU base area so it makes sense that it helps.  it's not too loud, either. if you leave the fans on PWM they are practically silent most of the time. the curve for speeding them up as the temps go up is pretty mild. even with both fans at 100% its not bad.

what kind of a case are you using for the new build? the be quiet looks nice. reminds of of a mix of the C12 and C14. cryorig looks good too. and you can't really go wrong with noctua. 

Yup.Too much paste can make for higher temps for sure...and that will also explain high temps even on stock clock idle.

As for my build Fractal Design has kindly offered to sponsor a windowed Define R5. Im hooking up an EVGA Z97 FTW motherboard that I was fortunate to win to an Intel 4790K, 16 gigs of Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz CL10 ram, cooler alternatives as mentioned and Ill most likely invest in a GTX970 expecting prices to come even further down with the release of the Ti. For storage 256 gigs worth of Samsung 850 EVO is ready for the OS and a 4TB HGST UltraStar for mass storage yet to buy. Should make for a pretty capable system  :)

Fractal Design Define R5 White/Window / Intel 4790K / EVGA Z97 FTW / EVGA G2 750W / Sapphire R9 390 Nitro  / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Corsair Force Series GT 240GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB - HGST Ultrastar  4TB / 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2600Mhz DDR3 / Cryorig H7 Lumi Edt. /

Yup.Too much paste can make for higher temps for sure...and that will also explain high temps even on stock clock idle.

As for my build Fractal Design has kindly offered to sponsor a windowed Define R5. Im hooking up an EVGA Z97 FTW motherboard that I was fortunate to win to an Intel 4790K, 16 gigs of Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz CL10 ram, cooler alternatives as mentioned and Ill most likely invest in a GTX970 expecting prices to come even further down with the release of the Ti. For storage 256 gigs worth of Samsung 850 EVO is ready for the OS and a 4TB HGST UltraStar for mass storage yet to buy. Should make for a pretty capable system  :)

Sounds really good! hopefully we will see a thread about this soon! 

I'm planning on posting some benchmark screenshots from this build soon. I have also been doing some folding with this system for the Linus folding team.  And I'm sure I will do a video on the case and the system soon as well. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! here is a video update. I'm shopping for a monitor and also a keyboard. I am most likely going to pick up a Filco Majestouch 2 Stealth.

Nice work Andre. I know what a sod these cases are to build into with any sort of tidyness so good job.

Maybe it's time to buy some braiding tools and get started? it would look really nice braided :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Nice work Andre. I know what a sod these cases are to build into with any sort of tidyness so good job.

Maybe it's time to buy some braiding tools and get started? it would look really nice braided :)

thanks!  i am really happy with how the small case worked out.    this is pretty much a setup and forget thing for my - i only pay games a little bit and i just want something that will be ready to use whenever i feel like playing.  i really like braided cables too but i am definitely not doing it myself.