Skyrim paid mods are gone

Lightning

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3434it/paid_mods_in_the_steam_workshop/

It's a win, but the battle isn't over it.

We now know that they may have to power to potentially DRM mods. We will also never know when this will come back. The damage is done.

I wonder what would happen if they monetize gta v mods.

I feel like Gaben did this on purpose, put them up with the intention of removing them a week later to help his reputation

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

They can't monetize GTA V mods, the game isn't only available through Steam, but also Social Club.

As for the issue at hand, good, but they can still do it again.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I feel like Gaben did this on purpose, put them up with the intention of removing them a week later to help his reputation

or clean up other people's stupid ideas.

Your opinion is a possibility but it also sounds pretty far fetched.

And a waste of his time really.

This is gabeN afterall we are talking about I'm pretty sure he got better things to do then waste time on boosting his rep.

Nah, in don't buy it. It would be naive to think that the people can stand up and persevere against Valve and Bethesda.

Donation button at least xD?

This would make more sense, especially if Valve and Bethesda don't get their (I must use this word) fucking hands in it. Maybe like a direct PayPal donate button, since PayPal takes a small cut to cover their costs instead of taking it just for profit.

The end user wants to donate to the creator of the mod, not give the creator of the game even more money than they already did while giving Valve money it doesn't necessarily deserve.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Woo! Progress!!!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wow, that was a rather pleasant surprise.

Well that was quicker than I thought.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

i can't accept a world that they thought this would be a received by the community in a good way, if ain't broke dont fix it is not the solution i know but if you want to improve things , add goddamn support to M4A in the music player, fix the browse music button in overlay, moreover fix your Support.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Genuine WTF moment here, didn't thought they would at all. In fact I went to the workshop myself just to confirm it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It was a pipe dream.

I mean the intent of supporting modders was a great idea .

That idea in a vacuum sounds appealing , but a pay wall is not the right way.

It is the same thing as Total Biscuit suddenly asking for 30 cents per video from his audience.

The execution was terrible but their intentions were good if you ask me.

There are better ways to go about this , a pay wall is not the right way for mods.
This little experiment failed , I mean put ads on the workshop mod page , make a donate button , give prizes to the better mods BUT DON'T USE A PAY WALL AGAIN.

If you want large expansion or total conversion mods to be viable for modders to make a fulltime job out of it, it can't be anything like that system. A system like that just doesn't work very well for it. I couldn't shake the feeling of it turning out anything different than the itunes app store or google play where you have so much stuff not even remotely worth money exponentially outnumbering the good content and burying it.

What we got is actually quite far from what they were imagining, considering some of those mods quoted are pretty much entirely separate games built off of whichever base game, unlike 99% of mods for skyrim. A single weapon retexture, or new weapon, is not worth money. A mod like falskaar is something considerable of purchase.

Genuine WTF moment here, didn't thought they would at all. In fact I went to the workshop myself just to confirm it.

Same.  First thought was that accounts where hacked.  Still think it is more likely.

or clean up other people's stupid ideas.

Your opinion is a possibility but it also sounds pretty far fetched.

And a waste of his time really.

This is gabeN afterall we are talking about I'm pretty sure he got better things to do then waste time on boosting his rep.

How is improving the reputation of a man who's in charge of a multi-billion dollar software distribution platform a waste of time?

Do you recall how the CEO of Mozilla 'resigned' because of his horrible reputation which was caused in no small part by his stance on gay rights.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

With Beths permission my ass. Valve needs to stop spinning this shit as if they were innocent in this. They willingly agreed to this and even had Gabe do PR spinning nonsense on Reddit to get people to get over it. 

You don't walk away from this shit Valve. Its a mark on your company. People won't forget. Then again, the fanboys might just start swallowing whatever future bullshit you say, such is the fickle nature of the internet. 

Valve will try this again. Don't think they won't. They'll come back and spin this shit another way to try and sucker all the "hail GabeN" types out there. 

This is the shit that happens when you don't question corporation decisions. Making their games F2P. Taking away the ability to have personal skins in CS and replacing them with briefcases of shitty DLC. Taking fan mods, making them into juggernaut games, and then doing nothing. Encouraging broken Greenlight and Early Access systems. 

This path has been a long time coming. Reap what you sow. Stop thinking companies are your friends. Stop thinking that a billionaire CEO gives a shit about YOU. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

With Beths permission my ass. Valve needs to stop spinning this shit as if they were innocent in this. 

They willingly agreed to this and even had Gabe do PR spinning nonsense on Reddit to get people to get over it. 

You don't walk away from this shit Valve. Its a mark on your company. People won't forget. Then again, the fanboys might just start swallowing whatever future bullshit you say, such is the fickle nature of the internet. 

Boy you really don't know when to quit don't you. What exactly can be done to gain the benefit of the doubt with you? A personal apologize and a blow job from Gaben himself?

-------

Current Rig

-------

How is improving the reputation of the man who is the figurehead of a multi-billion dollar software distribution platform a waste of time?

what's the point crowning a king that's already crowned?

(....ok mhm that weird logic)

Gabe already have a big rep Right? how would beefing that up make any different? This is not a RPG exactly :P

post-159973-0-87797600-1430180122_thumb.

Thank you Gabe you are forever dear in my heart

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Boy you really don't know when to quit don't you. What exactly can be done to gain the benefit of the doubt with you? A personal apologize and a blow job from Gaben himself?

If Valve improved their customer service to "better than Comcast" levels then that'd earn some brownie points with me.

I mean at least you can get a response from Comcast customer service within the month, even if the response is a f**k y*u

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Quit what? Not accepting that Valve is some fucking saint and a friend to gamers? I'm not the one who takes it up the ass from Valve and follows their decisions blindly, maybe you are? 

benefit of the doubt? Valve has consistently had the worst customer service of any company in recent history. They turned their games into F2P clusterfucks just to make more money off skins. They encourage broken Greenlight and Early Access for their own profit without having QA to ensure that games don't actually suck. Every move they've made in the past few years has been to line their pockets and not give a shit about their consumers. 

Do me a favour, get your head out of Valves ass and realize they've been on the slope of shitty decisions for years. Stop defending them.