[Review] Fiio E10

Gorgatron

Decided to pick up a FiiO E10 with this deal going on: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/24282-audio-deal-of-the-day/page-2#entry506035

that price is so tempting.

part of me wants to buy one just for travel use(or to send to linus), but I already have a iBasso D4

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

that price is so tempting.

part of me wants to buy one just for travel use(or to send to linus), but I already have a iBasso D4

Guess I'll put my money where my mouth is and grab one too.

It'll give my O2 a rest.  It's getting pretty scratched up after a year of plane rides...

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

E10 is abt 80USD here and U7 abt 115USD

Unless you specifically want that Mic jack next to the audio jack or the virtual surround effects, I'd save your money and get the E10

E10 is abt 80USD here and U7 abt 115USD

Have you considered anything from Creative,  they tend to get overlooked these days but still produce some good gear, and sometimes cheaper than Asus.

I don't know about pricing where you are:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-HD.aspx

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I've got a question, How does the E10 compare to a Xonar DGX or a Soundcard of the same price point? Honestly, I'm not sure what to get. I'm really into my FPS games and when I get my build (hopefully I get to order my parts in a week or so) I want to get the benefits of positional audio and all that jazz.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Well, the E10 is pretty cheap at the moment. I think the cheaper option is the Xonar U3 and you see what that got you. :P

I'm going to be building a new computer with an Asus Maximus VI gene board in 2 weeks so I might just bear with my onboard until I get that computer. Is the E10 a significant improvement over the maximus gene onboard that it's worth the $60 it costs?

I'm going to be building a new computer with an Asus Maximus VI gene board in 2 weeks so I might just bear with my onboard until I get that computer. Is the E10 a significant improvement over the maximus gene onboard that it's worth the $60 it costs?

The E10 will only be a significant improvement if your on-board has interference (static, crackles and or hiss) or if the on-board has a low impedance output which can cause damping issues when driving low impedance headphones.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

a low impedance output

>high output impedance

but, yeah, your onboard is probably fine unless you have higher impedance headphones in most cases.  The FiiO E10 is really good for those of us who have to deal with laptops and such.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I've got a question, How does the E10 compare to a Xonar DGX or a Soundcard of the same price point? Honestly, I'm not sure what to get. I'm really into my FPS games and when I get my build (hopefully I get to order my parts in a week or so) I want to get the benefits of positional audio and all that jazz.

Personally, I don't think sound cards can really justify their cost any more. Much like the recent videos by TTL and Linus regarding overclocking on low end vs high end boards, there isn't a big difference between on board and sound cards other than feature sets. If you don't like the "positional audio" that Razer Surround provides, then I doubt you'll like the other variations provided on sound cards.

Pretty much what Mr. Moose said. What I believe to be a typo has been corrected and underlined:

The E10 will only be a significant improvement if your on-board has interference (static, crackles and or hiss) or if the on-board has a high impedance output which can cause damping issues when driving low impedance headphones.

Other benefits of an E10 would be it's ability to be used with other computers (you could easily take it with you for a laptop), analog volume control (some people just don't like digital), and no drivers (because soundcard drivers usually suck).

Personally, I don't think sound cards can really justify their cost any more. Much like the recent videos by TTL and Linus regarding overclocking on low end vs high end boards, there isn't a big difference between on board and sound cards other than feature sets. If you don't like the "positional audio" that Razer Surround provides, then I doubt you'll like the other variations provided on sound cards.

I guess it's the E10 then. Thanks for the help :)

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Have you considered anything from Creative, they tend to get overlooked these days but still produce some good gear, and sometimes cheaper than Asus.

I don't know about pricing where you are:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-HD.aspx

I secretly want the ZXR..but it's arnd 200usd here

>high output impedance

but, yeah, your onboard is probably fine unless you have higher impedance headphones in most cases.  The FiiO E10 is really good for those of us who have to deal with laptops and such.

Yes, sorry my bad.

Pretty much what Mr. Moose said. What I believe to be a typo has been corrected and underlined:

Cheers for picking that up, not so much a typo but a neuronal logic inversion.  :blink:

Decided to pick up a FiiO E10 with this deal going on: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/24282-audio-deal-of-the-day/page-2#entry506035

[spoiler Unboxing Images]

Nice Packaging

IMAG0161.jpg

No USB cable included, but I guess everyone's got a box of various cables lying around.

IMAG0164.jpg

I've heard many people say it's smaller than they expected, but you don't really understand that until you hold it in your hand...

IMAG0166.jpg

Have u tried the Fiio E07K?

Negative, but I'd assume it sounds the same to humans.

As it does to some other animal? :P

Hey I see this thread is still going.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

What do you mean, sir?  :rolleyes:

That either people are reading this decent review or still discussing about this fabulous product that Fiio totally isn't paying me to endorse THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

How does the bass boost on the E10 perform?  The E17's bass adjustment spills over into the mids (wonder if a firmware change can fix it)

I guess that depends on where you draw the line between bass and mids, and I don't have any fancy measuring gear.

How does the bass boost on the E10 perform?  The E17's bass adjustment spills over into the mids (wonder if a firmware change can fix it)

This usually depends on your headphones of choice. The Bass boost on the Fiio E10 is +3dB if I'm not mistaken.

I guess that depends on where you draw the line between bass and mids, and I don't have any fancy measuring gear.

I see what you mean.  I guess if I had to quantify it, I would like it only to boost under 70Hz only, but the E17 seem also boost up the 150Hz range making it feel more "closed".  Though it still does a better job then the software equalizers.

I'm judging it using the equalizer in foobar2000. 

I think I ended up answering my own question.   :P   The E10's bass boost should sound like the e17... but e11 has a tighter curve as I expect a "bass boost" to be.. too bad it's not a DAC.

Didn't realize they had frequency response charts for it.   Between the +5 and +7.5 is where I keep it, and the E10's curve is pretty much the same (did a photoshop overlay).  But check out the E11's curve below it.

E17 freq. response:

20121204093844.jpg

E17 vd E10 (red)

post-7162-0-65221900-1377445466.png

E11 freq. response:

20121207120631.jpg

This usually depends on your headphones of choice. The Bass boost on the Fiio E10 is +3dB if I'm not mistaken.

So far going between my M50 and HD650 (warm), they are both equally noticeable.  The HD650 being already warm... starts to sound muddy.  

from http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000028262517&MenuID=105026003

looks like 4dB boost range.

20121210095609.jpg

My Rigs (past and present)

Those graphs turn me on....