How many "K"s is enough for Displays?

Go to solution Solved by skywake,

Because we also have resolutions like 1920×1200.

I don't understand your point. I'm saying that the idea of naming resolutions based on the vertical or horizontal number doesn't really tell you much. For 1920x1200 wouldn't 2.3MP be more descriptive? It'd tell you more about what it is in relation to "2.1MP" (aka 1080p) than calling it "1200p" or "2K" would.

To be more pedantic:

1080p -> 2.1MP

1920x1200 -> 2.3MP

Ultrawide 1080p -> 2.8MP

1440p -> 3.7MP

Ultrawide 1440p -> 5MP

4K -> 8MP

Doesn't that make more sense? We already use megapixels to describe camera resolution, why didn't we use it to describe screen resolution? It would have made a lot more sense. People would have immediately understood what these higher resolutions meant.

You're right it's not bad, it's absolute garbage. Being able to see pixel effects/pixelation and some people call that HD is just horrible.

Pixelation has nothing to do with the resolution of the screen....  You can have a 4K monitor at 100 inches and you will have pixels the size of your fists (just an example).  Pixel pitch is what you want improved, not resolution.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Link works fine, kid.

You obviously didn't click it. 

If your parents are buying you this display get 1080. its not shit, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. If you think it is, you need to consider other factors. get something with a high contrast ratio and decent brightness and you will be happy. I have 3 of these this displays and it looks fantastic. Take your 4k fanboy 12 y/o self to the store with your own cash and get a good 1080 monitor 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZMLIWW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1V18HHZNNS1D2&coliid=I2QJL5IAURHQ1S&psc=1

Wow dude 130 on a monitor, sorry i'm not that broke 

What size of monitor? Viewing distance?

5-22 : 1080p is fine.

23 - 27 : 1080p is fine, but pushing it.

27 - 35 : 1440p is fine, 2k is doable, but definitely luxury.

Edit: 2k? no, I'm just stupid. Let's go with 4k.

I'm with this. Kind of. I have 3 24" 1080p monitors and HAD a 24" 4K which looked AMAZING, the most beautiful monitor I've ever seen. Too bad the SLI 970 didn't have enough vram to power a 4K monitor and 3 other 1080p or I would have kept it. Also the max resolution for the 970 isn't large enough for what I had so that might also be the problem :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Higher the resolution is the bigger the screen they make the lower the DPI is :(

I wish we had at least half the DPI the freaking mobile devices do !

1080p at 24" is just stupid 90+ DPI. Ridiculous. Imagine if it was 200...

As someone said, if u call 1080p "Shit" then u have high standards and should get 4K screen.

4K it is then

Because we also have resolutions like 1920×1200.

I don't understand your point. I'm saying that the idea of naming resolutions based on the vertical or horizontal number doesn't really tell you much. For 1920x1200 wouldn't 2.3MP be more descriptive? It'd tell you more about what it is in relation to "2.1MP" (aka 1080p) than calling it "1200p" or "2K" would.

To be more pedantic:

1080p -> 2.1MP

1920x1200 -> 2.3MP

Ultrawide 1080p -> 2.8MP

1440p -> 3.7MP

Ultrawide 1440p -> 5MP

4K -> 8MP

Doesn't that make more sense? We already use megapixels to describe camera resolution, why didn't we use it to describe screen resolution? It would have made a lot more sense. People would have immediately understood what these higher resolutions meant.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing