BSOD Posting Instructions - Please Read!

ionbasa

If my desktop just crashed all of a sudden whilst playing game. And unable to boot up even with USB bootable windows, how should I generate the dump of BSOD informations? :/ 

23 hours ago, WeeHong said:

If my desktop just crashed all of a sudden whilst playing game. And unable to boot up even with USB bootable windows, how should I generate the dump of BSOD informations? :/ 

You may have bigger issues than looking at the dump files. If your PC can't boot there's a hardware error going on. FIrst read through the suggestions here:

At the very least you need to boot off a USB flash drive or plug the hdd in another computer to recover the files. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

• 1 year later...

hello i want to make a BSOD report but my crash dump files can't be archived winrar shows an access denied dialogue when trying to compress them.

• 1 month later...

How large is the Sysnative tool app?

What if my PC does not have enough space?

What if the BSOD is a driver problem?

Will Sysnatve tell me that?

Won’t visit often..

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, MrFixitBlankFace said:

How large is the Sysnative tool app?

166.46 KB according to Sysnative.

What if my PC does not have enough space? 

That is probably causing your BSODs. /s All joking aside, if you are seriously out of space, then that is outside the scope of this thread... Upgrade to a bigger storage device (HDD/SSD) or remove unneeded files with the built in Disk Cleanup Utility.

If this question has another implied meaning that you do not want to use the Sysnative app due to concerns, then you can follow method B in my OP which outlines manually copying the dump files by yourself without the use of the app.

What if the BSOD is a driver problem?

That is actually expected, most BSODs are caused by 3rd party drivers (not developed my Microsoft) ie: AMD, Intel, Qualcomm, Relatek, Nvidia, etc.

Will Sysnatve tell me that?

The app will not tell you whats causing the BSOD. It collects the DUMP file created during a BSOD plus additional system info related to the BSOD and packages it into a .zip You then upload the zip file in your own forum post here, or elsewhere, and someone who knows how to use the Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows (WinDbg) will load the DUMP file and look data as to pipoint the reason why the BSOD occurred. WinDbg is specialized software that can interpret the information collected during a BSOD.

If you are curious as to see what someone like myself would see when we look at these files and spinets of data from the Kernel, drivers, memory, etc, it would like like this:

18697d1431201493-windbg-basics-debugging

18697d1431201493-windbg-basics-debugging

Images taken from TenForums because I cant locate my post detailing how to use WinDBG here on LTT.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have an Alienware x51 r2 (2013) and I had a looooooot of bsod so I just opened disconnected everything and reconnected it again and it works better than when I bought it without downloaded anything.

• 5 months later...

help witSysnativeFileCollectionApp.ziph BSOD

desktop

Win 10 64 bit

this is a new build with windows 10

downloaded from MS website

system hardware is 6 months old

OS installed 6 months ago, no I haven't reinstalled the OS

intel I9 9900K

Geforce RTX 2080 OC 

MSI MPG Z390 Gamming pro Carbon AC

Thermaltake toughpower PF1ARGB 850W

system manufacturer me

Desktop

(report Files) HTML.zip

• 3 months later...

I get error "File not found or no read permission" when I try to past the dump files into the zip folder

6 minutes ago, Gamingodcat said:

I get error "File not found or no read permission" when I try to past the dump files into the zip folder

figured out a way around it

• 4 months later...

oops! posted on wrong section

Edited by mtvkriar91
Wrong section

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have almost never faced BSODs before, but with my new computer I am having these issues almost every 10-15 minutes. I have also tried re-installing windows and windows reset without success. Should I start a thread to get help or something else ? I can attach photos I clicked but my resource monitor is not working.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2015 at 2:57 AM, ionbasa said:

Forum Specific Instructions for Posting BSODs:

If you are encountering BSODs and are asking for help in the troubleshooting sub forum here in LTT, there are some things we need you to do to help us help you!
First, we need the dump files produced by Windows at the time of the blue screen. The dump files contain information about what possibly caused the BSOD and also contains debugging information.

To obtain these file(s) follow either Method below:

Method A

Reveal hidden contents

DISCLAIMER

Reveal hidden contents

The following "tool" (Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App) is not my own, nor does it have any association with LTT or the LTT STAFF.

Method A has been adapted by myself (@ionbasa) from the Sysnative forum thread here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/68-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html 

The Sysnative tool is working property of Sysnative and its authors

If you have any objections to using the aforementioned app, there are instructions below on how to alternatively grab the needed files manually.

1. Download the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App here: http://www.sysnative.com/apps/SysnativeBSODCollectionApp.exe
  2. Run the app - Double-click on the downloaded application file. Give the application ample time to collect the necessary files and system information, this may take up to 10-15 minutes, please be patient! Here is a screenshot showing the utility in action:rUBtSUp.png
  3. Once the tool finishes, bring up an elevated administrative CMD prompt:

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select "Run as Administrator"
    Windows 10, 8.1, & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)"

4. Run the following command:

perfmon /report

5. This should bring up the Resource and Performance Monitor, as follows: TSR5fVO.png
  6. Once PERFMON has finished collecting data for 60 seconds, save the output by selecting: File | Save As | Save as: (Report Files) HTML
  7. Zip up the PERFMON output; create a new thread HERE.

NOTE: Unfortunately, the forum currently forbids that .zip files be uploaded to your post. Therefore an alternate method has to be used to share your two zip files. You will have to use an online file service such as: Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. to share your two zip files. In your post, include a link to the two zip files.

NOTE: The app auto-zips the SysnativeFileCollectionApp output folder. It is located in your Documents folder. Windows Explorer should open and highlight the zipped folder.
Please do not modify the output files!

INFO:The Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App does not get installed (it is a stand-alone EXE) nor does it make any changes to the registry. It only creates the SysnativeFileCollectionApp output folder + a zipped version - both located in Documents folder. You can delete them at any time, but we suggest that you wait until our work together is completed before doing so.

Method B

Reveal hidden contents

This Method involves manually copying the dump files.

1. Start by opening Explorer
  2. In the address bar at the top, enter the following folder structure: "%SystemRoot%\Minidump\"  (Without quote marks).
    You should see one or more dump files. If there are none, or the folder cannot be found, then a dump file was not created when Windows blue screened.
  3. Select all the dump files and copy them.
  4. Create a new zip folder on the Desktop and paste the dump files in the zipped folder.
    NOTE: You cannot move the files nor can you use the context menu to "send to zip' or 'send to desktop'! The files have to be manually copied over.
  5. Next, bring up an elevated administrative CMD prompt: 

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select "Run as Administrator" 
    Windows 10, 8.1, & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)"

6. Run the following command: 

perfmon /report

7. This should bring up the Resource and Performance Monitor, as follows: TSR5fVO.png 

8. Once PERFMON has finished collecting data for 60 seconds, save the output by selecting: File | Save As | Save as: (Report Files) HTML

9. Zip up the PERFMON output; create a new thread HERE.

NOTE: Unfortunately, the forum currently forbids that .zip files be uploaded to your post. Therefore an alternate method has to be used to share your two zip files. You will have to use an online file service such as: Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. to share your two zip files. In your post, include a link to the two zip files.

Please also include the following information:

• OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system?
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)?
  • Age of system (hardware)
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?
  • CPU model
  • Video Card model
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this)
  • System Manufacturer
  • Exact model number (if OEM or laptop)
  • Laptop or Desktop?

Windows 10?

Oh wait, this was before Windows 10.

And anyone know what the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE stop code means?
I solved it with a reinstall of the OS, but is there anything that I can do to avoid that?

elephants

• 4 months later...

What do if PerfMon hangs on the 60 second scan and doesn't finish?

On 4/25/2015 at 12:57 AM, ionbasa said:

Once PERFMON has finished collecting data for 60 seconds

My PC is stuck on "Collecting data for 60 seconds. Ran cmd with admin privileges  

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, what exactly qualify as a BSOD? Does it in this context also includes sudden shutdown without any actual blue/black screen thing appearing?

• 3 months later...
  • OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? 10
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system? no
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)? I built the computer then installed it
  • Age of system (hardware) - 8 months 
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? yes
  • CPU model - 5900x
  • Video Card model - 1070
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) - x570 tomahawk
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this) corsair 750g
  • System Manufacturer - AMD
  • Exact model number (if OEM or laptop) SKIP
  • Laptop or Desktop? Desktop (GAMING PC)

• 4 months later...

1- Check all the power cables to the hardware AND ALL hardware connection's. (lose cables)

Check the GPU, is it well mounted on your mobo?

if all connections are Ok then Goto next:

2 --- Reset BIOS to DEFAULT mode.

Power Off and remove all Ram modules except 1 of course.

Leave only 1 ram module on your mobo.

Boot windows in SAFE MODE.

Set the power plan to balanced.

Check in DEVICE MANAGER if there is any exclamation.

If so...right click---uninstall device---install the latest drivers----reboot.

(be sure you installed the right drivers for your hardware).

If nothing helps... it's a hardware problem.

Good luck 🤞 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 12:27 PM, Danny Donkey said:

Hey, what exactly qualify as a BSOD? Does it in this context also includes sudden shutdown without any actual blue/black screen thing appearing?

A BSOD is a kernel panic. Essentially, it's when the underlaying hardware suffers a physical computational error and the math doesn't add up as expected, so the OS pukes and crashes.

In Windows at least, you will see a minidump logged for each BSOD event. That's assuming the storage subsystem isn't the root cause as it would also prevent the ability to record the minidump file however.

Power related issues that cause the hardware to turn off without any prior computational fault does not constitute a kernel panic (BSOD) related event.

• 1 year later...

image.png.933cdd657210b89561b43a004a7e937c.png
has been sitting like this for 10 minutes on 3 separate tries

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to get these dumps from a PC that won't boot properly? Got a BSOD and it hasn't been operational since. Can only get as far as the troubleshooting option. I get past the bios screen but then Windows seems to have a registry issue and I'm not sure where to go from there.

*Edit*

Managed to install Ubuntu but can't find the dump files from there.

Edited by AirFromMyLung
Updating ongoing problem