I need some guidance on OCing my GTX 770

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

Download Unigine Valley and Unigine Heaven (it is free).

In MSI Afterburner set your Power Target to max then increase your GPU Core clock in 15MHz increments and everytime you do that let run the Unigine Benchmark. If your screen turns black and reset back that means your OC is unstable and you have to take away few MHz from your core clock.

Same apply for if you see some artifacts in those benchmarks.. that means your OC is unstable.

First OC your Core as much as possible using this method. Once you know where is your max overclock you can do the same with VRAM (memory). You can bumb up memory 50MHz at the time to be safe. Then again back to benchmarks.

No need to touch voltage.

(Always run benchmarks on highest settings!).

Hello again, good servants of Linus

I am once again in need of your assistance. My current build is as follows:

MSI Gaming GTX 770

AMD FX-8350 (Hyper 212 Evo)

Kingston Beast 1600mhz 8gb

Great airflow :D

Although the machine is plenty powerful (or atleast it should be >:L) I'm kinda getting sub-60fps preformance in some games like War Thunder, Planetside 2, and a few others even when I lower the settings so I'd now like to finaly make the most of my GPU and try overclocking.

Thing is...

I have next to zero knowledge on how to overclock. I use MSI Afterburner to set my fan curve and monitor how my card is doing from time to time but I don't know how to balance core voltge/core freq/memory freq stuff at all.

So thats the situation folks. You can suggest your solutions if I got something wrong, as I am always open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

A fellow member of the masterace

Send help

Max Power Target, bump the core up in steps of 13mhz each and stress test with valley or heaven after each increase till you get a driver crash then do the same with the memory. I wouldn't touch the core voltage cause it probably won't be to much of a core clock increase.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Download Unigine Valley and Unigine Heaven (it is free).

In MSI Afterburner set your Power Target to max then increase your GPU Core clock in 15MHz increments and everytime you do that let run the Unigine Benchmark. If your screen turns black and reset back that means your OC is unstable and you have to take away few MHz from your core clock.

Same apply for if you see some artifacts in those benchmarks.. that means your OC is unstable.

First OC your Core as much as possible using this method. Once you know where is your max overclock you can do the same with VRAM (memory). You can bumb up memory 50MHz at the time to be safe. Then again back to benchmarks.

No need to touch voltage.

(Always run benchmarks on highest settings!).

Thank you very much!

For the honour of the coming worldwide communistic family, I shall get to it as soon as I can.

Thank you again though :D

Send help

Thank you very much!

For the honour of the coming worldwide communistic family, I shall get to it as soon as I can.

Thank you again though :D

Good luck :) !

Hopefully your chip can OC better than mine.. I cant even touch memory if I dont want to get crashes :(

Max Power Target, bump the core up in steps of 13mhz each and stress test with valley or heaven after each increase till you get a driver crash then do the same with the memory. I wouldn't touch the core voltage cause it probably won't be to much of a core clock increase.

I'm using MSI Afterburner as well, but it shows power limit, is it the same as power target?

Core i5 4440  16GB DDR3 HyperX  Sapphire Nitro+ RX480  Asrock Z87M Pro 4  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Blue 1TB x 2  FSP Hydro G+ 650W Samsung CF24G70 Logitech G610 G502

Quick tip: By increasing 15Mhz from stock and doing benchmarks over and over again is very time consuming. Go to the GPU OC database, see what speeds other people are getting, lower the results by 50% or 30% (anything) and start from there. Save yourself some time mate

Core i5 4440  16GB DDR3 HyperX  Sapphire Nitro+ RX480  Asrock Z87M Pro 4  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Blue 1TB x 2  FSP Hydro G+ 650W Samsung CF24G70 Logitech G610 G502