having 2 monitors and only one for gaming

Uberskills

I'm going to get a benq xl2420t for my new build and i all ready have a monitor can i have both of them on but only use one for when i'm playing games. also while i'm playing a game on the older monitor can i have skype or something else open?

Yeah it's easy. Dont use eyefinity. Just set it up in windows (right click - screen resolution).

Yes you can, As you can see with the image I have provided you can also rotate your screen too. I have number 3 screen as my main number 2 as my movie screen and 1 as my skype/email/teamspeak all on that screen.

Once you have the screens connect you can fallow this set of instructions and your golden.

Also make sure you have a dual link DVI-D for your Benq XL2420T and connect it to the dual link DVI-D to right port on the GPU

1. Plug screens in
  2. Right click on desktop
  3. Click on screen resolutions
  4. Click on or select Benq XL2420T from Display drop down
  5. Set Resolution to recommended settings
  6. Click on Multiple Displays and select Extend desktop to this display (Then make sure you make the Benq XL2420T the main display)

You can also drag the displays in that window to the side you want the 2nd display on the left or right side!

Also as you have a 120hz screen you might want to Enable that by clicking on the Advance Setting tab you can see on the picture and go to Monitor and you will see the drop down menu change that to 120hz if you do not see it you might need to let us know what gpu you are using!

Thanks

post-772-13667861493764_thumb.jpg

post-772-13667861493764_thumb.jpg

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

I do have pretty much this setup. a xl2420t and a rl2450ht. Playing on the xl at 120hz and have the other one at desktop checking skype, fps temps or watching a movie or w/e i need at the moment in 60hz mode. Just remember that will have to alt+tab and you can't just drag the mouse over in most games. Also some games are not too happy with having one idle display. Crysis 2 doesn't like the 2nd monitor at all and puts it black, while most games do not care and run smoothly. You will have a very very slight fps drop though cause the GPUs are doing one more thing. [Check benchmarks with 2nd monitor on / off]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I do have pretty much this setup. a xl2420t and a rl2450ht. Playing on the xl at 120hz and have the other one at desktop checking skype, fps temps or watching a movie or w/e i need at the moment in 60hz mode. Just remember that will have to alt+tab and you can't just drag the mouse over in most games. Also some games are not too happy with having one idle display. Crysis 2 doesn't like the 2nd monitor at all and puts it black, while most games do not care and run smoothly. You will have a very very slight fps drop though cause the GPUs are doing one more thing. [Check benchmarks with 2nd monitor on / off]

Would running crysis 2 in windowed mode on the first monnitor solve the black screen issue?

if you hit the windows button and then go back to the game sometimes that makes it have the window working instead of black

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

thanks everyone for the help much appreciated, and thanks gecko for pointing out that i need a dual link dvi cable have to go shopping for one later.