Is there a noticeable difference between 1440p and 4k in games and video?

Profoundsoup

^^^^

It all depends on the screen size and how far you sit from your monitor.

I do see a small difference in YouTube 1440p vs. 4K (even on a 1080p screen). I guess that is in games too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Depends on the screen size, in phones no. in laptops, probably but nothing really major. Desktops 24-27, you'll notice a difference but the biggest differences are around 32+ inches I would say. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

you mean performance wise or if its noticable to the eye. in both cases id recommend you calculate the pixels by multiplying vertical and horizontal pixel count. from personal experience id say yes you can notice especially on a big screen but its not like 1440p is horrible now alll of a sudden

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Considering most 1440p and 4K monitors are 27"-28"--the difference is huge. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Depends on the screen size, in phones no. in laptops, probably but nothing really major. Desktops 24-27, you'll notice a difference but the biggest differences are around 32+ inches I would say. 

It all depends on the screen size and how far you sit from your monitor.

I do see a small difference in YouTube 1440p vs. 4K (even on a 1080p screen). I guess that is in games too.

So for TV size's (32-60in) yes, but for monitor sizes probably not (23-28in)? 

On a 27" pc monitor, I see a really noticeable difference - But I am pretty close to my monitor. Most people would push the monitor around 10-20cm further back, and if I do that, the difference becomes less noticeable, of course.

If I could, I would trade my 4k TN to a 1440P IPS. If i had to choose between 4K IPS an 1440P IPS I would go 4k, even if the framerates on current single gpu setups aren't that great (maybe except titan x setups...)

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

You'll notice a difference in 23-28in but how much depends on what you're viewing and the screen size of the monitor, probably the distance you're sitting from the monitor too. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Talking about picture quality 

If both monitor are the same size, lets say a 27" 1440p monitor and a 27" 4k monitor, the difference is extremely noticable, the pixel density is like double or triple that of the 1440p monitor

Just the same way 1440p is a massive upgrade to 1080p

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Having used both, there is a difference.. But IMO on 27" and lower it's not worth the trade off yet.. GPU power and content for 4k isn't quite there yet.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Having used both, there is a difference.. But IMO on 27" and lower it's not worth the trade off yet.. GPU power and content for 4k isn't quite there yet.

GPU power is very much here, and it depends on the games one plays. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

GPU power is very much here, and it depends on the games one plays. 

Thats what I mean.. Yes in some games you can play MAX settings at reasonable frames but for far too many you have to drop the settings and whats the point in having lower quality at higher res?

IMO only.. (well maybe not only my opinion) but until most games are playable @4k High - max settings on mid-high GPU's (thinking x60- x80 range cards) than it's not worth it unless you can go down the Titan / SLI 980 route.

For some it's worth it.. IMO it's not quite there yet but I think in the next 2 - 3 years it will be.

Different strokes for different folks and all.

Thats what I mean.. Yes in some games you can play MAX settings at reasonable frames but for far too many you have to drop the settings and whats the point in having lower quality at higher res?

IMO only.. (well maybe not only my opinion) but until most games are playable @4k High - max settings on mid-high GPU's (thinking x60- x80 range cards) than it's not worth it unless you can go down the Titan / SLI 980 route.

For some it's worth it.. IMO it's not quite there yet but I think in the next 2 - 3 years it will be.

That is exactly my experience. I am currently using a 780TI (oc) and it barely handles 4k. You can argue, that a 980 is faster, but not so much, that you can run everything maxed out...

So for now you'll have to spend at least around 1000 Bucks to get enough horsepower to drive 4k with max settings and high framerates. And that is a little outside the budget for most gamers - Even the enthusiastic ones...

But if you want to play some a little older titles and if you are fine with sacrificing a little on the newer ones, yeah, than we have the GPUs for that. I just fired up Deus Ex: HR and it runs perfectly on 4k maxed out :)

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

I can see the pixels on my 24" 1080p panel and I sit a fair bit amount away from it.

I would notice the difference if this was 1440p. 4K not so much

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

it has to do with the size of the screen and how close your sitting

making it more important in a phone than a big tv

here is an article about the subject, it provides a calculator at the bottom where you can calculate wether you can see a difference.

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

so, for gaming strictly( of course for productivity 1440 is superior due to more space)

you will have to sit pretty close to the screen, to notice more a better looking image.

at a normal 24 inch monitor the benefits of 1080 starts being noticeable at 3 feet or closer, while the benefits of 4k is noticeable at 1 feet or close, the calculator doesn't mention 1440 specifcally but we can assume its something like 2 feet probably.

of course with more pixels there will be more space, which leads to potentially superior productivty and maybe a more comfortable experience while gaming.

i have never owned a 1440p screen(except my phone lg g3) but this is what i discovered while ressearching if i should buy a high end 1080 or 1440p monitor for my new build come summer.

you should also take into account that 77% more pixels to render, will require something around 77% more computer power to drive, potentially reducing fps and lifetime of pc before uppgrading.

I agree with this as well. You can see the difference but what is the point at lowering the quality to say, "look at me, I made it to 4K"?

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

BTW, here is a good review of DSR.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews/69208-nvidia-dynamic-super-resolution-dsr-review-crysis-3-5k.html

For me if you have GPU horses to run 4k.. Just go native 4k.. If you don't, stay away for now unless your planning to invest heavily to keep the settings and frames up to something decent. And keep investing as new games release and new GPU's launch.

I agree with this as well. You can see the difference but what is the point at lowering the quality to say, "look at me, I made it to 4K"?

Resolution>graphical settings

Resolution>graphical settings

Really? So having more clarity is worth losing texture quality? Lighting? Shadows? Do understand that a game with max settings will always look better than one at low to medium settings in 4K.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

Really? So having more clarity is worth losing texture quality? Lighting? Shadows? Do understand that a game with max settings will always look better than one at low to medium settings in 4K.

In the context of 1440 and 4K due to the sheer difference in PPI, I would much rather settle for lower settings.