New invention expands Wi-Fi bandwidth tenfold

ahhming

n3.jpg

Researchers at Oregon State University claim to have invented a new system that incorporates infrared LEDs to boost the available Wi-Fi bandwidth by as much as ten times.

Dubbed "WiFO" (as a hybrid of Wi-Fi and Free-space Optic), the prototype system takes advantage of improvements in LED technology to allow for high-frequency modulation of infrared light in wireless transmission as part of an optical Gigabit wireless LAN.

Experts say that recent advances in LED technology have made it possible to modulate the LED light more rapidly, opening the possibility of using light for wireless transmission in a “free space” optical communication system.

The prototype, uses LEDs that are beyond the visual spectrum for humans and creates an invisible cone of light about one meter square in which the data can be received. To address the issue of a small area of usability, the researchers created a hybrid system that can switch between several LED transmitters installed on a ceiling, and the existing WiFi system.

“In addition to improving the experience for users, the two big advantages of this system are that it uses inexpensive components, and it integrates with existing WiFi systems,” said Thinh Nguyen, an OSU associate professor of electrical and computer engineering. Nguyen worked with Alan Wang, an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering, to build the first prototype.

“I believe the WiFO system could be easily transformed into a marketable product, and we are currently looking for a company that is interested in further developing and licensing the technology,” Nguyen said.

Using low-cost, off-the-shelf components, the prototype Oregon State device is able to transmit data at around 100 Megabits per second (Mbps), although some current WiFi systems have similar bandwidth, it has to be divided by the number of devices, so each user might be receiving just 5 to 10 megabits per second, whereas the hybrid system could deliver 50-100 megabits to each user. The LED component is only able to transmit into reception areas around a meter in diameter. To overcome this limitation, the system switches automatically between a number of LED transmitters (designed to be attached to a ceiling or other high point), and the existing Wi-Fi RF, to provide seamless overall coverage of a particular area.

Source:

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2015/apr/osu-innovation-boosts-wi-fi-bandwidth-tenfold

Huh, that's pretty neat. No more shitty airport wifi? (please?)

Huh, that's pretty neat. No more shitty airport wifi? (please?)

No the airport probably still won't buy all the bandwidth that they need from the isp.  :(

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

No the airport probably still won't buy all the bandwidth that they need from the isp.  :(

its even worse when they charge for it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Wouldn't line of sight be an issue then? If you're blocking the diode, then how in the hell would you get wireless to your device?

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Wouldn't line of sight be an issue then? If you're blocking the diode, then how in the hell would you get wireless to your device?

it uses a hybrid system that can switch between several LED transmitters installed on a ceiling.

it uses a hybrid system that can switch between several LED transmitters installed on a ceiling.

Yes, I get that. But nobody would really be able to take advantage of the additional bandwidth until a system that doesn't rely on line of sight were to be implemented. Not saying this isn't a fantastic idea, because it is. But there seems to be key features the need working out here. I'd rather not point my phone/laptop/tablet at the diode just to get a few more megabits.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Yes, I get that. But nobody would really be able to take advantage of the additional bandwidth until a system that doesn't rely on line of sight were to be implemented. Not saying this isn't a fantastic idea, because it is. But there seems to be key features working here. I'd rather not point my phone/laptop/tablet at the diode just to get a few more megabits.

I wish light could reflect.. -__-

I wish light could reflect.. -__-

Yes, light does indeed reflect (thanks for being cocky about it). It also refracts. Just like wireless. So there would need to be a software filter enabled on every compatible device, just like there is for wireless. That way the device knows what is tangible data, and not just noise or duplicate information.

While this is all cool in all, my question is that picture showing wireless connection on the surgery room bed.

So now it is a thing of surfing the web while you are operated on? Is it too boring/mainstream for some people this potentially life threaten operation on you, that you need to check your e-mail, surf 9gag, youtube, and LTT?

While this is all cool in all, my question is that picture showing wireless connection on the surgery room bed.

So now it is a thing of surfing the web while you are operated on? Is it too boring/mainstream for some people this potentially life threaten operation on you, that you need to check your e-mail, surf 9gag, youtube, and LTT?

I dont know. if you drop your phone in a patient and want to read the messages you received through the person skin...

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Me. Can kinda see see being used in like airports, but it would be annoying as Hell at home to install it. Just regular WiFi is fine, and only one of those examples held any ground, with an HDTV you'd already need ether net to the Los, why not just run it straight to the TV?

- snip-

Cool, I go to OSU. This is great.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky