The LTT Build-Off Thread! (No Building Required)

Sweet! I wish we could get more people to vote haha! But i'll take it anyway <3 

That's one of the problems I keep running into--everyone wants to participate, but then they don't vote. I guess it's a good problem to have, though :)

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

That's one of the problems I keep running into--everyone wants to participate, but then they don't vote. I guess it's a good problem to have, though :)

Maybe talk with the mods and post a "Vote! LTT Build off week x: topic"

And place the voting there? So nobody there will post builds anymore, since it's time to vote now, aswell as able to discus a little with all the builds that are put together? Just an idea.  

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Maybe talk with the mods and post a "Vote! LTT Build off week x: topic"

And place the voting there? So nobody there will post builds anymore, since it's time to vote now, aswell as able to discus a little with all the builds that are put together? Just an idea.  

Do you mean make a dedicated thread for voting? It's not a bad idea, but it is one more thing for people to look through (contest in one thread, rules in another, and voting in a third).

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Do you mean make a dedicated thread for voting? It's not a bad idea, but it is one more thing for people to look through (contest in one thread, rules in another, and voting in a third).

Yes I do understand, but well - I don't know how else we get people to vote? I would not mind to do that, since I always go to the pinned thread with the rules and look for the week there, despite the fact you post it in a dedicated thread (obviously) so. for me, it will be just 2 things to look for, meh actually. thinking off it, the voting will most likely, will drop down quite abit, since I doubt people will post to much in there, mehhh. 

Im sorry, just trying to help, but no idea what to do. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Yes I do understand, but well - I don't know how else we get people to vote? I would not mind to do that, since I always go to the pinned thread with the rules and look for the week there, despite the fact you post it in a dedicated thread (obviously) so. for me, it will be just 2 things to look for, meh actually. thinking off it, the voting will most likely, will drop down quite abit, since I doubt people will post to much in there, mehhh. 

Im sorry, just trying to help, but no idea what to do. 

Don't be sorry, I appreciate the input and attempt to help. I think you've discovered how tricky coming up with solutions can be for this ;)

As a person who barely ever votes in the contest I might have some insight for you. The majority of people who visit the thread are there to participate in the competition. They don't vote because if they vote for someone else then they have a lower chance of winning themselves.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

As a person who barely ever votes in the contest I might have some insight for you. The majority of people who visit the thread are there to participate in the competition. They don't vote because if they vote for someone else then they have a lower chance of winning themselves.

While this is indeed true, check Asus + Corsair one, I voted in there aswell! Maybe this is the idea then, if you want to participate, you have to vote for your build to count? 

While this is indeed true, check Asus + Corsair one, I voted in there aswell! Maybe this is the idea then, if you want to participate, you have to vote for your build to count? 

That just makes it more complicated than it needs to be. Someone could get 10 more votes than everyone else, but then not win because they didn't vote themselves.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

That just makes it more complicated than it needs to be. Someone could get 10 more votes than everyone else, but then not win because they didn't vote themselves.

There are a couple problems. First of all, it can be hard for many people to decide which is the best of 7-10 builds. They might narrow it down to three and then give up. Secondly, Most of the people  who follow these threads participate, and understandably don't want to sabotage their own chance of winning. 

I'm thinking of splitting the voting into groups or heats:

This should make it easier to decide on a winner in a small group, and then each winner progresses. Pros: This counteracts the first problem listed above. It also lets participants vote in heats they are not competing in. Cons: There will be multiple rounds of voting, which would make things more complicated. Also, I would need to extend the contests (maybe once every two weeks) to give time for voting. 

Unless there is strong support I probably won't do this, as it means a lot more "maintenance" for me.

Thoughts?

There are a couple problems. First of all, it can be hard for many people to decide which is the best of 7-10 builds. They might narrow it down to three and then give up. Secondly, Most of the people  who follow these threads participate, and understandably don't want to sabotage their own chance of winning. 

I'm thinking of splitting the voting into groups or heats:

This should make it easier to decide on a winner in a small group, and then each winner progresses. Pros: This counteracts the first problem listed above. It also lets participants vote in heats they are not competing in. Cons: There will be multiple rounds of voting, which would make things more complicated. Also, I would need to extend the contests (maybe once every two weeks) to give time for voting. 

Unless there is strong support I probably won't do this, as it means a lot more "maintenance" for me.

Thoughts?

We could aswell get a sticky everytime the contest is on, because I noticed that people vote while the topic is on the 1st page, maybe second, but after 2 days it falls into oblivion and nobody notices it.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

We could aswell get a sticky everytime the contest is on, because I noticed that people vote while the topic is on the 1st page, maybe second, but after 2 days it falls into oblivion and nobody notices it.

@Windspeed36 Would something like that be feasible?

@Windspeed36 Would something like that be feasible?

Not really, it'll take other users to keep it on the front page. 

What if I allowed multiple-choice for the voting? I'd rather have someone vote for three people than not vote at all. Thoughts?

Voting is now up! We only have three entries this week, so get your votes in:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60397-build-off-week-12-dedicated-game-server-host/

@CoolBeans is the winner of Week 13! Congrats to him!

The next contest can be found here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64653-build-off-week-14-all-in-one-box/

I want to thank everyone who participated (including those who voted and commented) in last week's contest. It was by far the most exciting one so far, with over 60 votes cast. Even Linus got in on the fun :)

To many more build-offs!

I really like this post !! :)

I'm glad :)

Smallest form factor gaming rig under $1200 so on a mini itx?

By gaming I mean BF4/Crsys 3 gaming, not stupid angry birds "gaming" lol.

Emphasis on gaming, no Photoshop or anything else.

I'd love to see what build wins xD.

Smallest form factor gaming rig under $1200 so on a mini itx?

By gaming I mean BF4/Crysis 3 gaming, not stupid angry birds "gaming" lol.

Emphasis on gaming, no Photoshop or anything else.

I'd love to see what build wins xD.

I already did an SFF rig for $1,250. It isn't dedicated for gaming, but it's pretty close.

How about $1,400 with peripherals (no monitor)?