AMD FX 6 month conclusion

I only have an 8350 and my VRMs were cooking at 80C at 4.6ghz, imagine a 9590 on the board.... And i have a Sabertooth 990fx 2.0. 

Hes in denial (Yeah ik coming from me but i learned didnt I?) 

Check the power usage in HW monitor, so far I've found it to be actually quite accurate on my i5 4440, Xeon X5450, QX 6850 and both E6500K's. (Highest power consumption in wattage that I recorded was 111.3W with the Xeon at 4GHz, the i5 4440 uses only 33W and outperforms the Xeon by a fairly large margin (the Xeon can get within spitting distance however when benchmarking).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Check the power usage in HW monitor, so far I've found it to be actually quite accurate on my i5 4440, Xeon X5450, QX 6850 and both E6500K's. (Highest power consumption in wattage that I recorded was 111.3W with the Xeon at 4GHz, the i5 4440 uses only 33W and outperforms the Xeon by a fairly large margin (the Xeon can get within spitting distance however when benchmarking).

I will sometime (machine off now) but the lights dimmed in the room when i turn it on so that says alot.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I will sometime (machine off now) but the lights dimmed in the room when i turn it on so that says alot.

Pmsl, if people say they aren't concerned about power consumption with their FX 8***/9*** CPU's, I just need to quote you :P .

PMSL

Pmsl, if people say they aren't concerned about power consumption with their FX 8***/9*** CPU's, I just need to quote you :P .

lmao ikr, but then again i was at 1.5V (my rm850 was sweating)

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

lmao ikr, but then again i was at 1.5V (my rm850 was sweating)

That's about the voltage on FX 9590's, so it still applies. (The stock voltages vary greatly since they are factory overclocked CPU).

PMSL

My machine does that as well like there's a power surge firing up the arch reactor. Although it's not the power draw I think it's the PSU filling up its capacitors or something else as I don't run anything power hungry in my machine except the GPU (which also could be the culprit as it runs at 100% until the windows driver loads).

My machine does that as well like there's a power surge firing up the arch reactor. Although it's not the power draw I think it's the PSU filling up its capacitors or something else as I don't run anything power hungry in my machine except the GPU (which also could be the culprit as it runs at 100% until the windows driver loads).

That's only a 650W PSU, even with my 970 and 650ti in the same rig maxing out my vs650, I don't have the lights dimming.

PMSL

That's only a 650W PSU, even with my 970 and 650ti in the same rig maxing out my vs650, I don't have the lights dimming.

It still causes the lights to flicker really quick you just have to be staring blank at something as you turn the machine on to notice it. It could be a problem with a pole fuse or the main feed into the house. Most suggest the flickering is due to arcing which could be a serious problem (burn your house down).

Folks that compare temparatures with AMD and Intel;

For the last f*** time, they are not comparable. AMD has different sensors, so they tend to show much lower temparatures.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Folks that compare temparatures with AMD and Intel;

For the last f*** time, they are not comparable. AMD has different sensors, so they tend to show much lower temparatures.

AMD uses only one sensor on their chips as the package temperature unlike Intel that uses a sensor for each core. There's a lot of factors in play when comparing the two as Intel no longer solders the IHS to the die because of how fragile the die is now. You'll get superior thermal transfer from solder than thermal compound. Which is why a lot of people delid their Intel chips and replace the crappy compound with something better and see ~10C temperature improvements.

the 9590 is fine

says a 9590 owner

so i think it was worth upgrading from fx 6300 stock to i5 4440 ?

That's a tough call. You'd have to decide if the improvement you'll get will be worth the price of the chip and a new motherboard. You will see some improvements, sure. But also, the i5 4440 is the entry level i5 chip. Is the difference gonna rock your world? Probably not. I think you'd get more for your upgrade dollars saving up for an i5 4690/4690k. 

Also, before it is suggested (if it hasn't been already) I wouldn't waste anymore money on AM3+. An 8350 will show you practically no benefit in just about any gaming workload you'll throw at it over a 6300. The IPC clock for clock is identical and you can match the 8350 with a clock bump.

lol the bottleneck in your build is real

With the 9590, you can just smell AMD's desperation. 

Or maybe that's the faint smell of burning electronics. 

Think about it, it was over $900 at launch and then rapidly dropped in price. Its nothing but a cash grab.

PMSL

Everytime I see a 9590 owner I die a little inside.

Everytime I see a 9590 owner defend the 9590 I die a lot inside.

Everytime I see a 9590 owner I die a little inside.

Everytime I see a 9590 owner defend the 9590 I die a lot inside.

I have a friend who had a motherboard catch on fire from that chip. He took it back to Microcenter and the guy there didn't even seem surprised. 

He still defends it. smfh

I have a friend who had a motherboard catch on fire from that chip. He took it back to Microcenter and the guy there didn't even seem surprised. 

He still defends it. smfh

*sigh* with a Xeon X5450 running on a 3+1 phase motherboard with 1.45V being pumped through the CPU (451MHz FSB) I didn't set the motherboard on fire. Its still electrically sound after being under such a heavy load, but I killed its CPU socket when I dropped the thermal paste covered Xeon into the socket. I think the fact that so many AM3+ boards are actually able to catch fire speaks volumes about their quality, and my P5K -VM wasn't exactly high end when new (no VRM heatsinks, mATX).

PMSL

*sigh* with a Xeon X5450 running on a 3+1 phase motherboard with 1.45V being pumped through the CPU (451MHz FSB) I didn't set the motherboard on fire. Its still electrically sound after being under such a heavy load, but I killed its CPU socket when I dropped the thermal paste covered Xeon into the socket. I think the fact that so many AM3+ boards are actually able to catch fire speaks volumes about their quality, and my P5K -VM wasn't exactly high end when new (no VRM heatsinks, mATX).

Well, they have a 220watt TDP (typical of tdp ratings, what they actually use is much higher). To be fair, a lot of it is caused by people trying to use them with just any old socket AM3+. The 9590 has special requirements. However, in my friend's case, he was using a 9590 ready sabertoooth board that still had a bit of a smoking habit. lol 

Well, they have a 220watt TDP (typical of tdp ratings, what they actually use is much higher). To be fair, a lot of it is caused by people trying to use them with just any old socket AM3+. The 9590 has special requirements. However, in my friend's case, he was using a 9590 ready sabertoooth board that still had a bit of a smoking habit. lol 

Another fried motherboard says ASUS went dirt cheap with the VRM.

PMSL

Oh, the memories......

z_inwin_h600.jpg

That might be a Inwin Case. My very first build, P3 had a Inwin case. Always wanted one of them AT cases that had the Turbo button with the LCD display. Press the Turbo and the MHz goes from 166MHz to 266MHz, even if it doesn't do anything. lol

IBM did it back then with their desktop, It had a turbo knob (looks like the one on a Corsair 600T) and it actually works. Turn it all the way up and the machine runs a lot faster.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So you bought AMD just so you could have fun overclocking?  That is your reason?  Because even a heavily overclocked FX8 doesn't beat a locked i5.  Flawed rationale.

Not really. I bought a G3258 to have fun overclocking knowing full well that putting the money I spent on a cooler would yield better performance if it went on an i3 instead. Sometimes the performance isn't the point.

Not really. I bought a G3258 to have fun overclocking knowing full well that putting the money I spent on a cooler would yield better performance if it went on an i3 instead. Sometimes the performance isn't the point.

Which is why I bought a Xeon X5450, 2xE6500K, 1xQX6850, Pentium 4 631, Core 2 Duo E8500. Only 1 of those CPU are relistically faster than an FX CPU in games, but they are mainly about overclocking for fun now, so I got by with them. (1 weeks full use per CPU at maximum stable OC while opperating under 750C-the Pentium's suck compared to Core 2's with thier lower cache).

PMSL

I dont understand. Dont those cpus/motherdoards have somekind of protection in place (ie, a 4 phase mobo wont take 220W monster) ?

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian