3 out of 4 PC Gamers own an Nvidia GPU

marvin968

Intel+nVidia for all your shill-ing needs

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Had to bring this up lol.

amd_vs__nvidia_by_spritanium-d3394jt.jpg

That was quite a few years ago, in the days of the GTX 480, code named 'the furnace'.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

the 290x is an inferior product...

...in what way? If you're going to bring up power consumption, that's literally quarters.

At least it doesn't have a vram flaw...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For me this was a decision that was formed due to prior experience.

I have been disappointed by AMD in the past, Nvidia didn't do that yet, also is it my opinion, that Nvidia at this point has the whole power draw to heat output resulting in performance better figured out. 

But hopefully, AMD will come up with awesome products that people will buy to keep the market competitive. 

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

It's pretty disheartening that people don't realize what a crisis the GPU market is facing in a VERY short time.

If R9 3xx series and/or Carrizo don't make big bank, AMD are probably done for good. Someone might buy the remains, but that's no guarantee for the GPU division. The PS4 and Xbone bubbles are long gone and AMD still lost money in that period. And Intel's shitty iGPUs will be enough to prevent anti-trust prosecution against Nvidia.

And then you can all enjoy buying your $900 reference GTX 1150 Ti with 2GB of VRAM in the future.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It's pretty disheartening that people don't realize what a crisis the GPU market is facing in a VERY short time.

If R9 3xx series and/or Carrizo don't make big bank, AMD are probably done for good. Someone might buy the remains, but that's no guarantee for the GPU division. The PS4 and Xbone bubbles are long gone and AMD still lost money in that period. And Intel's shitty iGPUs will be enough to prevent anti-trust prosecution against Nvidia.

And then you can all enjoy buying your $900 reference GTX 1150 Ti with 2GB of VRAM in the future.

Intel could get taken down by an anti trust investigation if AMD went down.

PMSL

Confused. Isn't that showing product sales for quarters?
It's not like the old graphics cards are disappearing. 7970 has been around for ages and is still a perfectly dandy card..

For me this was a decision that was formed due to prior experience.

I have been disappointed by AMD in the past, Nvidia didn't do that yet, also is it my opinion, that Nvidia at this point has the whole power draw to heat output resulting in performance better figured out. 

But hopefully, AMD will come up with awesome products that people will buy to keep the market competitive. 

Yeah Nvidia never disappointed anyone. It's not like they had a noisy GTX 480, a card-frying driver or two, a bad Geforce FX series, or just scammy cards like the Geforce 4 MX.

By the way, the title of this thread is wrong. It's not the percentage of PC gamers who currently own Nvidia cards, just the percentage of cards being sold at the moment. Ownership of Nvidia vs. AMD is closer to a 2:1 ratio (as it has been for a while), though obviously Nvidia's lead is growing.

Yeah Nvidia never disappointed anyone. It's not like they had a noisy GTX 480, a card-frying driver or two, a bad Geforce FX series, or just scammy cards like the Geforce 4 MX.

By the way, the title of this thread is wrong. It's not the percentage of PC gamers who currently own Nvidia cards, just the percentage of cards being sold at the moment. Ownership of Nvidia vs. AMD is closer to a 2:1 ratio (as it has been for a while), though obviously Nvidia's lead is growing.

Example of the bad FX series, my FX 5500. (And AMD's CPU's. :P )

PMSL

No, don't you know? Every single thing nvidia ever does is absolutely amazing and is better than anything AMD ever does in any way. Nvidia is 100% stable with no bugs ever and all AMD drivers are absolute terrible and never work and crossfire is absolutely terrible compared to SLI and nvidia they invent everything and AMD just tries to copy them and does a bad job and AMD cards are loud and hot and nvidia are cool and quiet and *insert other INCREDIBLY stupid things most fanboys say as their reason for buying nvidia* (the ands were intentional)

Anyone who ever either doesn't look at both parties or TRIES to come up with a reason to themselves or to others to not to buy the better product is either a fanboy, or ignorant. The problem with the latter is that nvidia markets WAY more than AMD so that means they get most of the ignorant buyers, which is a HUGE market due to the kinda niche market PC's have.

I just look at reviews of the cards in my price range when it comes to an upgrade and decide from there, checking multiple sites ofc due to the very well known reviewer bias that exists. My current card is an r9 290 Tri-X with my last ones being 770, 6950 2GB (unlocked to 6970, so good), 560Ti(what an amazing card), 5850, 460, 4870.

I REALLY do not understand how some people will intentionally spend their money on an inferior product just because of the label on the box. People are idiots.

3/4 gamers are doing it right, 1/4 gamers live in the Arctic and needed a new space heater.

/s

Is this really surprising? Nvidia has new products and they are marketing them to new shoppers. AMD has dick all, regardless of how much 'better' the old R9 290s are. New product = better for sales. 

By the time the games that people wanted to upgrade for come out (largely GTA and Witcher), people will have either decided to hold off till the next year or they'll go to whatever is new. AMD is deliberately shooting themselves in the foot by not even having a single new product to counter the 9xx cards. 

3/4 gamers are doing it right, 1/4 gamers live in the Arctic and needed a new space heater.

/s

Is this really surprising? Nvidia has new products and they are marketing them to new shoppers. AMD has dick all, regardless of how much 'better' the old R9 290s are. New product = better for sales. 

By the time the games that people wanted to upgrade for come out (largely GTA and Witcher), people will have either decided to hold off till the next year or they'll go to whatever is new. AMD is deliberately shooting themselves in the foot by not even having a single new product to counter the 9xx cards. 

What's up with that anyway? Businesses survive by competing, and AMD hasn't really tried at all in the last 2-3 years.

PMSL

What's up with that anyway? Businesses survive by competing, and AMD hasn't really tried at all in the last 2-3 years.

They need to money to compete, they don't get as many sales, so they don't have as much to spend on RD, so they can't compete as well. 

AMD is in the lovely vortex of doom that most companies don't survive. Why this happened? The day they purchased ATI, sued Intel, and basically got abused for their troubles. Their corporation as a whole has always been on shaky ground with that purchase, then they started selling off GloFlo lessening their ability to compete. 

Its sad, almost. Mismanagement might kill that company entirely. 

They need to money to compete, they don't get as many sales, so they don't have as much to spend on RD, so they can't compete as well. 

AMD is in the lovely vortex of doom that most companies don't survive. Why this happened? The day they purchased ATI, sued Intel, and basically got abused for their troubles. Their corporation as a whole has always been on shaky ground with that purchase, then they started selling off GloFlo lessening their ability to compete. 

Its sad, almost. Mismanagement might kill that company entirely. 

Ati used to be a great company, I honestly don't see AMD's logic behind buying it out as its hard enough to compete with another big company, let alone 2 at the same time.

PMSL

New products, whether they are better or worse, just look better in the eyes of many consumers. AMD needs to release something new and not just rebranded. I hope the 300 series will do it for them or at least give them some sort of edge. It's sad that it is the way it is.

AMD is competing just fine. They've generally been the better buy across the majority of the product lineup for the majority of the last 2-3 years. People just gravitate to Nvidia for a variety of reason, including better marketing and the "new shiny stuff effect" on the 900 series. Plus it may have been a bad move for AMD to release the 290 and 290X reference-only initially, since the cards ended up associated with overheating and throttling due to the terrible stock cooler.

...in what way? If you're going to bring up power consumption, that's literally quarters.

At least it doesn't have a vram flaw...

I dont care about the cost. More power means more heat, more heat means less overclocking. But that's irrelevant, the reason that AMD products are inferior is because AMD cannot make drivers worth a shit. And while the current drivers may be fine, Dating from the time of the ATI Rage 128 to today, I've always had issues with AMD drivers. I mean when you're expected to use a driver removal tool just to install new drivers, there's a fucking problem. I've never used one of those with Nvidia and never had issues. but as soon as you dont with AMD drivers, you start getting issues. Now that's my personal opinion and it's based on my personal experience but there's no reason to buy a product if you cant use it to the fullest.

Can you roll back to and older driver or has this happened with the older drivers as well?

It has since the first driver that supported the card, so no I cant really reroll to an older driver and I shouldnt have to.

AMD is competing just fine. They've generally been the better buy across the majority of the product lineup for the majority of the last 2-3 years. People just gravitate to Nvidia for a variety of reason, including better marketing and the "new shiny stuff effect" on the 900 series. Plus it may have been a bad move for AMD to release the 290 and 290X reference-only initially, since the cards ended up associated with overheating and throttling due to the terrible stock cooler.

Right....they failed with their FX CPU's and haven't released a new GPU to compete with the GTX 900 series. That is not competeing fine by any definition

PMSL

Right....they failed with their FX CPU's and haven't released a new GPU to compete with the GTX 900 series. That is not competeing fine by any definition

The R9 290X has equivalent performance to the similarly priced GTX 970, the R9 290 has superior performance per dollar to any card in the 900 series. So in that way they are absolutely competing just fine. They're definitely vastly more competitive than in the CPU market.

The R9 290X has equivalent performance to the similarly priced GTX 970, the R9 290 has superior performance per dollar to any card in the 900 series. So in that way they are absolutely competing just fine. They're definitely vastly more competitive than in the CPU market.

The R9 290X was released to compete with the Titan, not with the GTX 900 series. If they were being competitive they'd have released a direct counter to the GTX 960, 970 and 980.

PMSL

I don't understand why this thread is still open and active. This isn't even relevant to anything.

I don't understand why this thread is still open and active. This isn't even relevant to anything.

Bursting people's bubbles.

PMSL

The R9 290X was released to compete with the Titan, not with the GTX 900 series. If they were being competitive they'd have released a direct counter to the GTX 960, 970 and 980.

You don't always have to release a new product to be competitive. At least when it comes to how good the product is; marketshare can still dwindle even when the product is more than fine, because ignorant people buy only the newest hotness.

You don't always have to release a new product to be competitive. At least when it comes to how good the product is; marketshare can still dwindle even when the product is more than fine, because ignorant people buy only the newest hotness.

Those 'ignorant' people buy what is best while fitting within their budget.

PMSL