hard drive no idea whats happening to my c drive.

my pc's C drive is acting crazy its total capasity is 109 gb. but i have used only 29 gb including windows. i can see that its 29 gb when i highlight all the folders and click properties. (as in the first picture below). but if i go out of my c drive to my computer ad see properties of the c drive its shows that  84.1 gb is used.(in the second picture) and its slowing down performance specially gaming vise i cant even play a game it slows down and when i play metro i can see artifacts all over the place. i have had this problem for about 3 months now but when i format the drive and reinstall windows its gone but after using it about a month its filling up again and i cleared cache and tempory files too. no matter how many times i format it getting filled even if i don't install anything in it. anyone know what to do?

post-162738-0-51251000-1429468145.png

post-162738-0-74499500-1429468153_thumb.

spacesniffer one

post-162738-0-79552000-1429469145_thumb.

EDIT: Elapo told me how to get rid of it. here 

Elapo, on 22 Apr 2015 - 6:55 PM, said:

aha, restore points are using 50% of your C drive.

either type "vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=XGB" (Fill in the X, I recommend 5% of the drive's size), or go to start => Right click computer => Properties => System protection (on the left) => Protection settings Tab select your drive and click configure.

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-much-disk-space-does-system-restore-require)

You should get a slider that does the same as the CMD command. This does delete the existing restore points though.

now its free.

post-162738-0-56486800-1429763497.png

my pc's C drive is acting crazy its total capasity is 109 gb. but i have used only 29 gb including windows. i can see that its 29 gb when i highlight all the folders and click properties. (as in the first picture below). but if i go out of my c drive to my computer ad see properties of the c drive its shows that  84.1 gb is used.(in the second picture) and its slowing down performance specially gaming vise i cant even play a game it slows down and when i play metro i can see artifacts all over the place. i have had this problem for about 3 months now but when i format the drive and reinstall windows its gone but after using it about a month its filling up again and i cleared cache and tempory files too. no matter how many times i format it getting filled even if i don't install anything in it. anyone know what to do?

attachicon.gif1.PNG

attachicon.gif2.PNG

Make sure your recycling bins empty :)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Use the program called "spacesniffer" to see where the space is going :).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Use the program called "spacesniffer" to see where the space is going :).

ok ill try that.

Try disabling hibernate in console. That uses a lot of space without you knowing.

the local disk properties is the correct one...the other doesn't show hidden files and stuff like that

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

the local disk properties is the correct one...the other doesn't show hidden files and stuff like that

but spacesniffer says 43gb

Try disabling hibernate in console. That uses a lot of space without you knowing.

i dot know how to do that.

do you have more then 1 user on the comoptuer?

do you have more then 1 user on the comoptuer?

nope only i use it. so only 1 profile. the problem is even if i format my c drive its gonna get filled up after 2 weeks don't know whats filling it up.

looks like your program data isn't included in the estimate seen in first pic. Go through your programs in uninstall and count up how much space there using stuff like adobe uses tonnes of space.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

nope only i use it. so only 1 profile. the problem is even if i format my c drive its gonna get filled up after 2 weeks don't know whats filling it up.

you basically just need a bigger hdd...they are only like 55$ for a 1tb

looks like your program data isn't included in the estimate seen in first pic. Go through your programs in uninstall and count up how much space there using stuff like adobe uses tonnes of space.

its around 13 gb everything exept windows. the problem i get is no mattert how many times i format my pc my c drive always fills up even when i kept it without installing nothing but the drivers it showed only 10 gb once i had to format it then it was workin fine. two weeks after (now) its full again adn i didnt install anything exept windows files and drivers in it. once i fisnihs installin all those its about 25 gb. but after a week i can see that its gone to 40 without installing nothing on that.

windows updates maybe

do you have an updated windows disc?

I try to keep mine updated to within about 2-3 months..so I don't get very many windows updates...clogging up the system

It's temp and your pagefile. Move your pagefile to your other drive and keep watch on the temp files. Turn off indexing as well. You're running an ssd and indexing is more of a hassle than a help.

For those browsing the threads, this is the main reason that 120gb ssd's and smaller are not recommended. A 240 - 256gb ssd seems to be the sweet spot. These files don't keep growing but added all together they get too close to the capacity of the smaller ssd's and cause distress. You need to keep on the ball to make sure things don't get too out of hand.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

windows updates maybe

do you have an updated windows disc?

i guessing its not windows updates because i keep windows updates turned off. because i have limited bandwith.

It's temp and your pagefile. Move your pagefile to your other drive and keep watch on the temp files. Turn off indexing as well. You're running an ssd and indexing is more of a hassle than a help.

For those browsing the threads, this is the main reason that 120gb ssd's and smaller are not recommended. A 240 - 256gb ssd seems to be the sweet spot. These files don't keep growing but added all together they get too close to the capacity of the smaller ssd's and cause distress. You need to keep on the ball to make sure things don't get too out of hand.

im on a hhd not a ssd. i removeed hiberta files and pagefiles and temp. and i got 32 gb free space then i defragged the drive using defraggler then after the its completed defrag it shows 28 gb free space. does defragging remove free space?

im on a hhd not a ssd. i removeed hiberta files and pagefiles and temp. and i got 32 gb free space then i defragged the drive using defraggler then after the its completed defrag it shows 28 gb free space. does defragging remove free space?

That's a weird size hdd. Also very old. You will have to watch it. One thing to keep an eye on is undated apps that change parameters to C: as a default. I had a movie db app that changed how it applied the thumbnails and I suddenly was filling up my C drive from one version to another. Had to get a quick change on that!

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

That's a weird size hdd. Also very old. You will have to watch it. One thing to keep an eye on is undated apps that change parameters to C: as a default. I had a movie db app that changed how it applied the thumbnails and I suddenly was filling up my C drive from one version to another. Had to get a quick change on that!

im giving up on this hdd and getting  new one. yes its really old its a sata 2 one. can you say witch to buy is 8mb frame buffer enough ?

im giving up on this hdd and getting new one. yes its really old its a sata 2 one. can you say witch to buy is 8mb frame buffer enough ?

Just pick a 1tb WD blue for 50$ and you should be fine.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Just pick a 1tb WD blue for 50$ and you should be fine.

the wd blue 1 tb is 75$ in my country. i coud get something from hitachi aroud 50$ is the wd blue worth the extra 25 $?

If you have the budget you're a prime candidate for an ssd. It will speed up your machine tremendously even on SATA II. I would recommend a <240gb but even a 120gb will be a huge improvement. If you can't stretch that far the Hitachi is fine. A lot of people believe that they are superior to WD or Seagate.

If you have the budget you're a prime candidate for an ssd. It will speed up your machine tremendously even on SATA II. I would recommend a <240gb but even a 120gb will be a huge improvement. If you can't stretch that far the Hitachi is fine. A lot of people believe that they are superior to WD or Seagate.

i think im gonna go with the hitachi then because im on a butget and not gonna use this pc for more than 3 months. PS my mbo supports sata 3 its the current hdd that dosent support it.