NH-D14 Passive?

thekanabolt

Hey guys, I was just wandering if a NH-D14 will run passive in a Fractal Design Define R4 with the 2 front fans set to intake and the rear fan set to exhaust. They are all noctua NF-P14's and the system is a Phenom ii x4 965be and gtx 660ti.

It will run yeah, but you will need a keep an eye on the CPU temps.

Personally I would run at least one fan though, as the incidental airflow from your case fans won't push air through the cooler. One decent quality static pressure fan in the middle position would work much better than no fans. Throw on a low noise adapter or just run it at low speeds and it'll be pretty much silent anyway.

Hmm tough one considering the X4 965BE has a pretty high TDP, you would just have to experiment with it to see how the temps are.

Yes, it would be ok, but as Tim said you should probably put at least one fan on your NH-D14 and undervolt the fan (hopefully Noctua) at 7V or 5V.

I don't know how safe this is but you could start some temp monitor, unplug the fans from the cooler with the system on and start prime 95 watching the temps until they stop rising

I highly agree with Tim. You could use the 140 that comes with the Noctua and undervolt it with the low noise adapter and you wouldn't even hear the thing.

It will work as long as you ghave cool n quiet enabled and do no overclocking or what so ever.

the temperatures will be fine with the airflow that you have.

I know that everyone recommends a fans, but it isn't needed to make your pc work as long as your airflow isn't restricted.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

Its a crazy idea!!! As long as you run them at pretty average load...but sensibly this is crazy since you already have 2 fans use the given fans and install it. Thats the best way cause

Having a lot of fans doesn't affect noise .

If you are having 10 X 25dbi fans then you will hear 25dbi thats same as one 25 dbi fan....

They already come with nf p12's with ultra low noise adapters i suppose

install it with those great fans , thats the way to go.... do it

That's a monster of a challenge. To be honest I believe it would work, but I would recommend some good airflow in a chassis. You have good cooling, so you should get a decent amount of air flowing through the heatsink. It probably would work now that I think about it. Phenom x4 does not put out too much heat.

Another idea, as stated by The Game, I would recommend is just running p12s with the ultra low noise adapters. You will not hear it at all.

Use low noise adapter.. the only thing you'll hear is you 660ti / intake fans

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Its a crazy idea!!! As long as you run them at pretty average load...but sensibly this is crazy since you already have 2 fans use the given fans and install it. Thats the best way cause

If you are having 10 X 25dbi fans then you will hear 25dbi thats same as one 25 dbi fan....

No. the more fans you have, the more they amplify the sound they make. It's like being in a room, if one person is talking, it isn't loud. if 200 people talk, it will be loud. I had 8 the same fans in a case, and it wasn't that really loud (140mm fans, 1000rpm). i switched to watercooling and removed 6 fans, and now i can call it quiet. how can it be? :)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

I highly agree with Tim. You could use the 140 that comes with the Noctua and undervolt it with the low noise adapter and you wouldn't even hear the thing.

Best solution in my opinion. I can't hear a thing coming from that undervolted 140mm fan.

I can explain ...

thats due to noise getting absorbed by substances, People talking is different though they talk at different frequencies every time for every word.

Its due to constructive interference between the waves,they dont build up over and over on top of the existing loudness.

having less fans seem to produce low sound....thats due to the produced sound being absorbed by the surroundings of the case rather than it reaching you.

If you have so quiet fans such as the noctua nf p12 then absorption is not a big problem buy some cheapo 2 dollar noise absorbent material and stick it on the case.

According to your statements if you have 8 20 dbi fans then will you make 160 dbi of noise which is insane.....

The more same speed running fans u have which are of same rpm from the same manufacturer then you have more chances for constructive interference between the waves as there is for destructive interference which is great.....

also high rpm means high frequency sound which is not good....low frequency gets absorbed high frequency doesnt..

simple explanation is your dual band router which is 5 ghz which means more speed more range (beware its also a wave )

No offence intended, I am not the best in sound physics but i think i prove my point.....

If it is indeed wrong then please explain it with some proof :) lol....

from what I know of my 955BE (same damn chip just clocked a little less at stock) they can get damn hot, (well, mine OC'd to 4ghz) I'd say even a D14 would have trouble passively cooling that thing, if you REALLY want passive, http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/products/CR-100A.php but I don't know if it's AM3 compatible...

2600K 4.6ghz, Maximus IV extreme-z, 16gb 1600, GTX 780, SB X-Fi Titanium HD, CM silent pro m 850, corsair 800D

nofan stuff is overrated in my opinion. A cpu air cooler with enough space between the fins is passivly good to use.

If you guys dont get my point check linus stating the same.... in this video at 1:30

I think it will work. I ran Battlefield 3 for 3 games on my i7 2700K with a CM Hyper 212 heatsink without the fan connected(oops) and it got to ~80C.

The Noctua heatsink is tons better than the Hyper 212 so I think it will be fine with just the cooling from the case fans.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I dont recommend you to do passive NH-D14, i tried with a 955BE, it wasnt really nice, the temp were above 50°C in BIOS, so dont try, i even have nice airflow in my case, and still it was catastrophic..i could destroy my old 955 just with booting windows..

There is allways a differ in any electronic devise. So all of the fans wont spin exactly at 1000 rpm so no resonation will be created.

There is no argument in the fact that you will add a new source of noise that will also create noise and will mutliply the sound. There is no debate in that. The less sound sources, the less sound. Period.

Linus' wife's rig has a passive CPU heatsink with intakes on the top and back of the case. So it is do-able if you plan properly.

CPU: 3570K Clocked at 4.5 Ghz | MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro | GPU: GTX 780 SLI | RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600 16Gb | CASE: NZXT Switch 810 | PSU: Silverstone ST75F-P 750w | DISPLAY : Asus PB278Q & Dell U2412M | SSD : Samsung 840 240GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM | MOUSE : Logitech G700s | MOUSEPAD : Steelseries QCK+ | KEYBOARD : WASD V1 Semi-Custom Cherry MX Blue | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z623 | HEADPHONES : Beyerdynamic Custome One Pro w/ mic. Attachment

I believe Linus' wife's rig is running something like a huge Phanteks heatsink in passive, or maybe it was the silver arrow....I can't remember.