Someone Please Kickstart This!

orangecat

I am tired of consoles dragging PC's down. Console gamers need a PC that works like a console but with some serious horsepower and a architecture that game developers are familiar with. Right now Playstation 4 and Xbox One are X86 based. But the hardware is so much slower than what even a mid range PC can deliver. i am almost certain my GTX 460 is more powerful then a next-gen console and yet they can't put one inside a console. My idea was to have a PC about the size of a console with basically what would be a Core i5 and a GTX 700 series with tons of ram. This PC would not be upgradable just like a console and would have a removable HDD like both the Playstation and Xbox. This would give gamers the experience of PC gaming with the simplicity of console gaming because they would not need to worry about the hardware plus it would run a custom OS. So in short this PC would act like a console but be ten times as powerful for the same price. I know it seems unreasonable to have such a product but if this actually took off i'm sure a ton of people would switch over and it would become the number one platform for gamers. Games would be developed for PC's and they would run on the same exact hardware as a high end Pc would giving developers the ability to ramp up the graphics in full HD not sub 720P like 90% of console games. This idea would need a ton of work to be market ready but its mostly just an idea or just someone make an OS that is simple like a console but has the ability to use either a controller or a mouse and keyboard.

In a sense I think Consoles benefit PC gamers in a hardware perspective a lot.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Mini-ITX, add a 360 controller, enjoy.

(Btw, that mostly what your idea is, beside the custom OS)

Bit you have to build that i want a custom solution that is secure like a console no developer is going to buy into this idea if the games can be cracked or the os can be hacked.

Care to say why?

Technology moves very fast, I think consoles slow it down in a hardware perspective. There is a reason your 460 can play games at 1080p and get pretty decent FPS.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I think this could be done with passive cooling (maybe just one or two fans) and a modified Windows 8. If we could disable the desktop app in Windows 8 and only allow certain apps to show up on metro, that would be awesome! It would be 100x faster than a console while still having the pea-brained simplicity of a console (of course Windows 8's Metro layout with square tiles can be figured out quite quickly.)

Also it's super easy to create a custom driver for the Xbox 360 controller that could be adapted for right stick controls scrolling and the left click controls mouse. Right trigger is right click and left is left click. 

I might actually work on this lol

I think this could be done with passive cooling (maybe just one or two fans) and a modified Windows 8. If we could disable the desktop app in Windows 8 and only allow certain apps to show up on metro, that would be awesome! It would be 100x faster than a console while still having the pea-brained simplicity of a console (of course Windows 8's Metro layout with square tiles can be figured out quite quickly.)

Also it's super easy to create a custom driver for the Xbox 360 controller that could be adapted for right stick controls scrolling and the left click controls mouse. Right trigger is right click and left is left click. 

I might actually work on this lol

I was thinking a custom linux os with x-box controls built into an micro atx case then marketed as a high end gaming pc/console

I think you would see a 5800k and a amd 7XXX card probably a 7850.....add a toned down mobo that is made specifically for this enviroment....

a10-5800k - $90

250gb 7200rpm generic drive - $50

custom mobo a company would have made by a motherboard manufacturer just for this machine - $60

8gb 1600mhz ram - $50

amd 7850 - $100

case - $30

totaling up to be - $380 these prices are what i think mass ordering would be able to bring fdown per item.....ordering 10000 gpus for $120 is cheaper than ordering 2 sets of 5000 at $150....the pc above would only be marginally more powerful than next gen. nothing astonishing(If someone could think of a better build for the same price then please do.....im actually really tired as ive been awake for the past 24 hours....)

So you see the thing is making a games console is most likely harder than it seems....you want to make something that is "cheap" but can also play all the games. Consoles work because of the optimised games.....they are made to run on a single set of pre-selected hardware.this means they can focus on optimsing the code for this hardware. The only way you will ever see this happening on hardware you wnat is if someone rich decided "Hey i can make money from this" or someone stakes their life saving into this project....you cant just jump on kickstarter and be all like, "i have a idea.....send me money so i can make my idea into stuff". The actual console/pc os is what you would need to focus on aswell. It needs to minimal and have a small footprint but be apealing...

Ultimately.....if you wnat something that is much more powerful than a console then the thing to do is build a pc...a good one that costs somewhere in the region of  $800, that should get you what you want.

-ANubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Bit you have to build that i want a custom solution that is secure like a console no developer is going to buy into this idea if the games can be cracked or the os can be hacked.

Consoles are not in one bit "secure" =)) Console gamers can actually take it apart with some ease. Most are just too scared to touch anything cause they don't really know anything about it. Ever heard of water cooled Xbox 360's? :)

Aside from the enthusiast PC community I don't see people opening up their desktops for the sole reason that they don't wanna touch stuff they don't understand. :)

Also Consoles also have a butt- ton of exploits just as Jailbreaking and J-tagging. Everything is hackable. 

You can build a small form factor PC which can run games pretty decently that normal people wont open no problem. It's just that devs opt for consoles cause it caters to the general people rather the niche that is PC gaming, The hardware of current gen consoles is cheaper and about 2 or 3 gens outdated, and most off all consoles has the least number of pirated copies.

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

-ANubikai

i3 - 2100 $70

ECS 1155 Mobo $40

HIS 7750 $90

Case+PSU $40

HDD 500GB $50

8gb ram $37

Linux Ubuntu Installed by default (free) with Windows 8 option (add $90)

Total cost $330 + $90

i3 - 2100 $70

ECS 1155 Mobo $40

HIS 7750 $90

Case+PSU $40

HDD 500GB $50

4gb ram $37

Linux Ubuntu Installed by default (free) with Windows 8 option (add $90)

Total cost $330 + $90

4gb of ram? also your not understanding the point. The os needs to be much more than linux slapped onto the hardware. It has to be coded to compliment the hardware, have a great GUI, small footprint...etc...also 7750 is barely capable of 720p gaming and medium if your lucky(i had one)....sorry to say but next gen consoles are more powerful than your suggested post. Its not easy making a build with only $400 budget that would be able to play 1080p smooth with a decent level of quality. I also forgot to account for the console controller system....transmitter/reciever....price of manufacturing...it'll just keep adding. Microsoft and Playstation can do this if they really wanted to but why should they when their next gen consoles seem like they would easily handle 1080p gaming at high graphics settings. It'll just reduce their profit margin or increase the ocnsole price.

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

I see. But I could produce one for $299

The Steam Box

(for lack of a better name)

Purpose:

To offer a cheaper alternative to next-gen consoles, while still having the ability to upgrade and perform modifications. This unofficial “Steam Box” would be a base model or backbone for upgrades later in the future, with support for beefier hardware. The box would come preinstalled with Ubuntu Linux + Steam. It is designed to run only the games that are available to be played on Linux through Steam. It would also be perfect for streaming movies from services like Netflix, as well as using it for other day to day computing tasks. Base price is $299 USD.

Specs:

Intel G540 CPU @ 2.5GHz (Dual Core)

FoxxCon H61S 1155 Motherboard

4GB of DDR3 1333MHz System Memory

EVGA GeForce GT630 (2GB)

WD 500GB HDD

P4 Chassis with 250w PSU

Software:

Ubuntu Linux

Steam

Firefox

Upgrade Options:

7850 (Add $100)

i3-2120 (Add $70)

Windows 8 (Add $90)

8GB RAM (Add $30)

SSD (Add $60)

Still not coming close to next gen even with upgrades. i3 2120 most likely isnt as powerful as the console cpus....especially when i say one word...optimisation...games will gradually start using the availabe cores offering better performance.....im guessing for the next 4-6 years they will be at 4 core optimisation.....the 7850 may be better than next gen gpus but only by a small amount and adding that makes it become $399.....thats ps4 teritory.....ps4 has 8gb ram already...looks great...established platform...garunteed great os.....established community...blah blah blah......then when you add 8gb to even start to edge nearer to next gen you into xbox one teritory....the xbox comes with kinect(something id oubt most people use) but still it offers gestures, motion detection, video chatting, all that good stuff......theres no point entering the console market for the big titles, playstation and microsoft have it locked down.....why do you think these mini android console gaming thingies have come out over the past few months.....

-Anubikai

Still not coming close to next gen even with upgrades. i3 2120 most likely isnt as powerful as the console cpus....especially when i say one word...optimisation...games will gradually start using the availabe cores offering better performance.....im guessing for the next 4-6 years they will be at 4 core optimisation.....the 7850 may be better than next gen gpus but only by a small amount and adding that makes it become $399.....thats ps4 teritory.....ps4 has 8gb ram already...looks great...established platform...garunteed great os.....established community...blah blah blah......then when you add 8gb to even start to edge nearer to next gen you into xbox one teritory....the xbox comes with kinect(something id oubt most people use) but still it offers gestures, motion detection, video chatting, all that good stuff......theres no point entering the console market for the big titles, playstation and microsoft have it locked down.....why do you think these mini android console gaming thingies have come out over the past few months.....

-Anubikai

One word: STEAM

GG Microsoft/Sony

One word: STEAM

GG Microsoft/Sony

STeam is awesome, its great but the reason for the first post is to make a console that was substantially more powerful than next gen consoles. You could make something easily thats way more powerful but you would also end up spending way more money. If your saying you want a company to make what is now seen as a low powered computer with parts accessable to everyone and run a OS that anyone can download....why would anyone buy that pc/console. Wouldnt it be cheaper for user to just buy the parts themselves rather than fro a company pre-built and spend 30-40min joining everything together, that is the point of a console. A cheap enjoyable easy means of gaing with the masses or yourself. The company would also add atleast $100 to each console price for labour costs, profit, postage around the world...you could use that $100 to get a better gpu and intern you get a better gaming experience........also linux also doesnt take years to install so that isnt a problem aswell. Im sorry bro.....its not gonna happen.....just wait for the next generation of consoles to come out....maybe by then they may have something equivalent to a 7970 or gtx 680 in them....maybe =) oh also your missing the point of consoles being able to have low power hardware but still play the games properly....i dont know how many times i need to say this but you cant just slap on linux and expect silky smooth gaming experience from your suggested steambox thing even with the upgrades.....one word....OPTIMISATION......a well coded variant of linux could work but this will also bump up the price of the console...paying developers to update the os and keep it bug free.......im done with this btw....if you reply saying steam or it'll be fine then im not posting in this thread anymore. Cya

-Anubikai