Scrapyard Wars Single Player

So after watching scrapyard wars and seeing what could be done on a small budget I decided to try it myself and create my first PC build. I have made some modifications to the rules, such as I have unlimited time to find parts and my budget is no more than 1000$ canadian I will try to stick around 800$, I am also allowed to sell parts that I have bought to increase my budget, and buy parts new if they are uneasy to obtain. This is my first ever PC build and I am in desperate need of a new computer that has some kick to it (my current PC's gaming potential is my younger brother playing Minecraft on everything turned down and off and getting 25 fps).

I started a week ago and this is my progress.

Motherboard:

M5a99x evo 60$ Kijiji

GPU:

Gigabyte R9 290X windforce 1.04 Ghz 250$ Kijiji

This isn't scrapyard...........scrapyard is more like 300-400 dollar budget MAX. Mostly used parts, except mostly the PSU.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

still, not much money

I'd bed to differ. $1000 is more than enough to make an extremely capable rig. Plus if you're buying second hand that's another plus on the cost side of things.

Scrapyard is really more like sub 500 dollar rigs.

Why are you guys talking about what budget scrapyard is? Scrapyard can be any budget as long as he is basically building a computer from used parts.

Anyways @Sam Z Man what games are you planning on playing? Any other things like video rendering, audio production etc. or is it just gaming and basic office stuff. Do you have any preferences for brands? Size of computer?

EDIT: do you own the parts you listed or are they parts you found?

EDIT 2: do you need things like the OS, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and audio?

Why are you guys talking about what budget scrapyard is? Scrapyard can be any budget as long as he is basically building a computer from used parts.

Anyways @Sam Z Man what games are you planning on playing? Any other things like video rendering, audio production etc. or is it just gaming and basic office stuff. Do you have any preferences for brands? Size of computer?

EDIT: do you own the parts you listed or are they parts you found?

EDIT 2: do you need things like the OS, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and audio?

Thanks for clarifing what my veiw of a scrapyard build is, this is my opinion of the idea.

Scrapyard build: building with mostly used parts to increase the performance you get for your dollar.

I used to game a ton on my dads pc when I was younger but that was 2 years ago and it wasnt that great it was a 3 year old workstation runing windows xp 32 bit that he had built new for 700$ but I it was set up as a workstation pc not a gaming pc and when she got 6 years old I was getting tired of 20fps so i quit gaming for about a year and a half, and used a 350$ dell office workstation pc for web surfing and school.

I would probally play with my buddies who are all on console so things like GTA 5 and the call of duty series, and letting my little brother get a taste of what its like to play minecraft on a actuall gaming pc. I also want to be able to run 3D printing and CNC software and video editing and be abble to do good multi tasking. So I need something that can be good at everything. My brand loyalty is too anyone who makes a good product for a price I can get a good deal on.

The parts listed were for things I bought since I started this project 3 days ago (all prices I list are in canadian dollars so the R9 290X really cost me 200$ US)

I need an OS but I have perifials there not the greatest but that upgrade will have to wait for another day.

Check my sig OP.

Get on my scrapyard level, gumtree/craigslist is your friend

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Check my sig OP.

Great build for what you paid. But yes classified ad websites are gteat I am useing Kijiji and checking the listings 5-10 times a day witch really helps in snagging the great deals like how I managed to get a R9 290x that was used for only 6 months for half price.

I agree that "scrapyard" can be any budget as long as you're buying used parts. The whole point is to get better performance than spending the same amount of money on new parts.

And nice deal on that 290X. I'd be hesitant on buying used power supplies and hard drives though.

yeah you do need to be a little wary about buying 2nd hand. I recently bought a couple of 7950's and an rm1000 from ebay. The psu and one gpu were fine but the other gpu died within a couple of hours of getting it. (could have been my fault though) 

If anyone wants to help complete my HD7950 crossfire then you are welcome to send me your unused 7950. I would be very appreciative. :)

Oh and another mainboard with better than 4x for the 2nd slot would be nice.

Great build for what you paid. But yes classified ad websites are gteat I am useing Kijiji and checking the listings 5-10 times a day witch really helps in snagging the great deals like how I managed to get a R9 290x that was used for only 6 months for half price.

ive paid so far aorund 500$ USD and i got a somewhat capable rig. (keep in mind i baught ddr3 memory before i found the deal on my CPU and motherbaord xD so subtract 100$ xD

7870 ghz edition for 99 dollars is a steal. (ebay said new form the official retailer but i can confirm it was either dropped in manufaturing or is refurbished, as part of the PCB is split. (its on a place where theres nothing inside tho. tested works great. xD just a tiny little 'scuff' ) )

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I dunno "scrapyard" to me has connotations of getting an absolute bargain basement rig, be scrounging and scavenging for parts

The idea is to spend as little to no money as possible to create something capable

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Check my sig OP.

Get on my scrapyard level. I've sold a HDD, 4GB of DDR2 ram and earned $50Aud on a GPU moving from a 660ti to a 280x so my total is down to $235Aud for the rig in my sig with a 280x instead of the 660ti.

This is not a scrapyard case.

Your budget is too high and even flexible for me to agree with you.

I could justify this being a scrapyard if your final rig was worth very close to triple its price as new.

But that's just me. Opinion is an opinion, we all have different ones :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Get on my scrapyard level. I've sold a HDD, 4GB of DDR2 ram and earned $50Aud on a GPU moving from a 660ti to a 280x so my total is down to $235Aud for the rig in my sig with a 280x instead of the 660ti.

So you sold already existing parts? hardly a proper scrapyard...

And according yo your sig you spent a bit more :lol:

I'd be curious to see how our rigs benchmark compared to eachother and check price:performance

Although with that being said, i'm still looking at getting some cheap DDR2 and some spray paint becuase i'm modding my case as well.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

I'd be curious to see how our rigs benchmark compared to eachother and check price:performance

Although with that being said, i'm still looking at getting some cheap DDR2 and some spray paint becuase i'm modding my case as well.

I sold parts that came in bundles with parts that I've used for the rig. So all of the sold parts still fall in the budget I set aside for the rig.

I've been a bit slack with updating my Sig and the build log. But factoring in the profit from the parts I recently sold it takes the cost a fair amount lower from what's in the sig :)

And yeah, I'm planning on doing some benchmarks after each upgrade from on. I'm pretty heavily held back by that CPU though :)

I sold parts that came in bundles with parts that I've used for the rig. So all of the sold parts still fall in the budget I set aside for the rig.

I've been a bit slack with updating my Sig and the build log. But factoring in the profit from the parts I recently sold it takes the cost a fair amount lower from what's in the sig :)

And yeah, I'm planning on doing some benchmarks after each upgrade from on. I'm pretty heavily held back by that CPU though :)

still, not much money

you can get a pretty decent gaming rig for 1k. I'm not going to check current prices but from the top of my head

I think 1200$ is the magical number for a gaming rig that has it all. (except watercooling)