Is it safe to clean my phone screen with 99% isopropyl alcohol?

Go to solution Solved by DevilishBooster,

OH MY GOD!!! NO! DON'T DO IT, YOU'LL MELT THE SCREEN!!!!

Lol, jk, jk. Yeah, you should be totally fine.

And DO NOT use just plain ol' water. If you use a cloth that is too damp and some of it runs into seams and gets in the phone, it could possible fry components. A lint free cloth or some soft paper towels and 99% isopropyl alcohol is all you need. 

Was wondering if cleaning my phone screen with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth will damage the screen in any way i'm assuming it wont but doesn't hurt to check.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

-Mark Twain

what wrong with water?

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Was wondering if cleaning my phone screen with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth will damage the screen in any way i'm assuming it wont but doesn't hurt to check.

That's not a problem, I personally dilute it to 50/50 since most plastic and materials I clean are more sensitive to 100% alcohol.

And DO NOT use just plain ol' water. If you use a cloth that is too damp and some of it runs into seams and gets in the phone, it could possible fry components. A lint free cloth or some soft paper towels and 99% isopropyl alcohol is all you need. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

And DO NOT use just plain ol' water. If you use a cloth that is too damp and some of it runs into seems and gets in the phone, it could possible fry components. A lint free cloth or some soft paper towels and 99% isopropyl alcohol is all you need. 

If your phone has big enough gaps to let water run in you have bigger issues then a dirty screen. and im not telling him to use a bucket but a rung out cloth wont do anything if the phone has any measure of quality, hell I use mind out in the rain on a reg basis..while I do while I still can based on how well the touch screen is still picking up touch input.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

If your phone has big enough gaps to let water run in you have bigger issues then a dirty screen. and im not telling him to use a bucket but a rung out cloth wont do anything if the phone has any measure of quality, hell I use mind out in the rain on a reg basis..while I do while I still can based on how well the touch screen is still picking up touch input.

There's this fun little guy I know called "Capillary Action". He's a jerk and really good friends with Sgt Murphy....

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

There's this fun little guy I know called "Capillary Action". He's a jerk and really good friends with Sgt Murphy....

Sry to bother but I forgot to mention this in the post. Would you happen to know if the isopropyl alcohol would damage the oleophobic coating on the screen?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

-Mark Twain

eh whatever if you wanna be paranoid enough to waste time with a cleaning ritual for your phone be my guest. 

System Specs

Sry to bother but I forgot to mention this in the post. Would you happen to know if the isopropyl alcohol would damage the oleophobic coating on the screen?

I'm not a materials engineer, but I doubt it. I've used iso for cleaning before applying screen protectors loads of times.

I have never heard of it damaging any special coatings, but you could Google it quick if you want to check. The US Cellular store that my family has been going to for over 10 years cleans all the phones with alcohol before applying screen protectors, so they must not be worried about it. 

END OF LINE

Not really unless you use something like really strong like turpentine to clean the phone then it may take off that coating, the most common problem is when people try to polish out a scratch they wear off the oleophobic coating only in that spot causing a spot to attract more dirt/oil.

eh whatever if you wanna be paranoid enough to waste time with a cleaning ritual for your phone be my guest. 

It's not really a waste of time for me because I can grab the bottle of alcohol and some lint free cotton wipes in the same amount of time or less that it takes me to get a washcloth, get it wet, and wring it out.

But, to each their own....

END OF LINE

Ty to all for your time and assistance ^_^ have a nice day ladies and gentlemen

-Mark Twain

Something to remember, is that many tablets and phones have a oleophobic coating applied to them to make them easier to clean and slide you finger easily. Using any cleaning product will remove that coating.

They are products to replace the oleophobic coating, but they are hard to find. No idea how good they are. I just a microfiber cloth to keep the coating mine.