I upgraded and now I lagg? [SOLVED]

TaiGeXGaming
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Suppose you try disabling all of the C states and Speedstep. Does that make a difference?

Aww man, that's unbelievable. I would've given up by now and RMAed the mobo and CPU. 

The fact that your CPU can reach its normal speed (even not for long) is encouraging though, because it leads me to believe your CPU is fine.

If only you could swap your CPU / Mobo with a mate, then we'd be completely sure.

Has ANYONE talked about a heat issue yet? Have you checked your temps at all? I can't remember if i saw anything about it before.

It sits around 29-33 Degrees Celsius whilst idling.  Roughly 31-35 Degrees Celsius.when I attempt to play games.

Aww man, that's unbelievable. I would've given up by now and RMAed the mobo and CPU. 

The fact that your CPU can reach its normal speed (even not for long) is encouraging though, because it leads me to believe your CPU is fine.

If only you could swap your CPU / Mobo with a mate, then we'd be completely sure.

If it's the mobo, I'd love to know what's ACTUALLY wrong with it.  I don't actually have al ot of time as I have to go to work for a month on this coming Wednesday so I can't just RMA it right now.  I just don't understand what's throttling the CPU :(

Has ANYONE talked about a heat issue yet? Have you checked your temps at all? I can't remember if i saw anything about it before.

Yes this and what are the voltages on your CPU when it first starts and up when it starts throttling? Check using CPU-Z.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

That is no where near enough voltage for the CPU to run correctly. Bump up the voltages!

System Specs:

Wait, what do you mean?  It does that automatically.  It's all on default right now, what should I do?

Sorry my bad, you should go into the BIOS and manually set the voltage in the overclocking part of your BIOS to 1.2V and leave the clock speeds to stock. Then try again. I am confident you'll notice a difference.

System Specs:

Sorry my bad, you should go into the BIOS and manually set the voltage in the overclocking part of your BIOS to 1.2V and leave the clock speeds to stock. Then try again. I am confident you'll notice a difference.

I believe it's set at auto because of C states (I think that's what it's called), so it uses very minimal voltage because Haswell but if you're confident, I'll listen to you.

Before the throttling

tfmxzEK.png

After the throttling

MI73gP7.png

I don't see a problem here. The CPU will throttle itself down to 800mhz automatically when there's no load. This is NORMAL. It's a feature called SpeedStep.

I don't see a problem here. The CPU will throttle itself down to 800mhz automatically when there's no load. This is normal. It's a feature called SpeedStep.

No. It should never be going as low as 800MHz and staying there permanently. Look at the voltages, that isn't normal surely. I am no haswell pro but I know for a fact that the voltage draw is way below normal. 

Okay so 800MHz is "normal" but it staying there isn't.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2323979

and the power draw under load should definitely be higher than 0.128 

System Specs:

Also the voltages will ramp down to almost nothing when there's no load to conserve power, which also keeps the CPU cooler at idle.

This is normal as well for Haswell.

Also the voltages will ramp down to almost nothing when there's no load to conserve power, which also keeps the CPU cooler at idle.

This is normal as well for Haswell.

Check my last post I corrected it.. Still however the power draw should be higher when under load correct? As I am seeing here it is not, it is really rather low and strange in my eyes. I've never quite seen a CPU draw such little power.

System Specs:

How about this, run Cinebench while looking at CPU-Z. Does your speed ramp up at all?

Check my last post I corrected it.. Still however the power draw should be higher when under load correct? As I am seeing here it is not, it is really rather low and strange in my eyes. I've never quite seen a CPU draw such little power.

It all depends, on how much load and how much power the cpu needs to keep a higher frequency for the particular load. The cpu can go full speed on its own with not much voltage < 1 volts. The power management on his Asus board does a good job regulating everything. This is what I like about Haswell and the Z87 boards.

Oh wow, it actually goes up to 3.7Ghz.

Yeah dude, your stuff is working fine :). Voltage should've gone up too right?

It all depends, on how much load and how much power the cpu needs to keep a higher frequency for the particular load. The cpu can go full speed on its own with not much voltage < 1 volts. The power management on his Asus board does a good job regulating everything. This is what I like about Haswell and the Z87 boards.

It's the reason I upgraded to Haswell, too.  It went up to 3.7Ghz and scored 7.15 pts?

EDIT:  It stays around 1.216, because I capped it at a manual of 1.2

Honestly, run the power on Adaptive or Auto. You will benefit more in the long run doing it that way. Running on a static VID won't be as beneficial since you will be generating more heat and wear to the CPU. Here's a couple links you can review to OC/setup your Haswell with your Asus board. You can even just use AI Suite III to OC it for you and works really well. I personally run the 4770K with a Asus Z87-Deluxe motherboard at 4.6ghz.

Honestly, run the power on Adaptive or Auto. You will benefit more in the long run doing it that way. Running on a static VID won't be as beneficial since you will be generating more heat and wear to the CPU. Here's a couple links you can review to OC/setup your Haswell with your Asus board. You can even just use AI Suite III to OC it for you and works really well. I personally run the 4770K with a Asus Z87-Deluxe motherboard at 4.6ghz.

I'm STILL getting 20-40 FPS in League of Legends - CPU-Z literally isn't even changing. It's staying at 800Mhz for some stupid reason!

Suppose you try disabling all of the C states and Speedstep. Does that make a difference?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I dunno what to tell you in regards to LoL since I don't have it in order to check how much CPU it uses to run it. If you're seeing your CPU freq go to max while running the cpu benchmarks I would assume your cpu/motherboard is working fine.

Hmmmm. Alright then. This is an incredibly risky method, but it just might work. A friend of mine had a very similar problem, and we solved it with this method. Go into the BIOS and Press Q exactly 7 times. This will bring up a menu. Scroll all the way down until you get to the M. Switch that to W, for wumbo, and you should be good to go.

In all seriousness, my friend actually had a very similar problem. We tried a lot, but in the end he just RMA'D it. That's all I can recommend. :(

The Arctic Demon:  i7 4770k | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F12s | (2) Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 Crossfire | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Corsair AX 850 | Samsung 840 500 GB | Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White | NZXT Hue 

Peripherals: Logitech G600 gaming mouse | Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire with Cherry MX Green Switches | QNIX QX2710 LED 2560x1440p PLS monitor | Logitech Rumblepad 2

Hmmmm. Alright then. This is an incredibly risky method, but it just might work. A friend of mine had a very similar problem, and we solved it with this method. Go into the BIOS and Press Q exactly 7 times. This will bring up a menu. Scroll all the way down until you get to the M. Switch that to W, for wumbo, and you should be good to go.

In all seriousness, my friend actually had a very similar problem. We tried a lot, but in the end he just RMA'D it. That's all I can recommend. :(

I dunno what to tell you in regards to LoL since I don't have it in order to check how much CPU it uses to run it. If you're seeing your CPU freq go to max while running the cpu benchmarks I would assume your cpu/motherboard is working fine.

DISABLING C STATES AND SPEEDCAP FIXED IT YESSSSS

But won't that use a lot of electricity now?

2 questions, though.

What does Speedcap do? - Does this just cap the speed of my processor?

What are C-States? - are they just low states of power when the system is idling?