GTA V - very low fps outside of city on Gtx 980.

sew999

Hello.Hi. I have a question about GTA V performance. I am using all maxed details, even on advanced options high resolution shadows on , and all sliders maxed. And Msaa 2x, Txaa ON, 1920x1080, Nvidia Soft Shadows, Grass Ultra.

In city are ok, sometimes 49 to 70 fps+ up.

But when i am driving in roads outside city i have drops to 30-35 fps. Which options are too demanding for Gtx 980 then ?
I am using 350.12 WHQL and cpu 4790k.

Hello.Hi. I have a question about GTA V performance. I am using all maxed details, even on advanced options high resolution shadows on , and all sliders maxed. And Msaa 2x, Txaa ON, 1920x1080, Nvidia Soft Shadows, Grass Ultra.

But when i am driving in roads outside city i have drops to 30-35 fps. Which options are too demanding for Gtx 980 then ?

Turn off the shadow stuff, and anything in advanced options, 

more info here

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

MSAA is really demanding in FPS even if someone turns it upto 2x it decreases FPS by atleast 10, as well as Grass set it to very high that should make a difference. In advanced put the shadow slider to about half-way as that takes quite some VRAM which means you'll have more headroom for more basic settings or just leave it as it doesn't make too much of a visual difference. 

If there are any issues, which there shouldn't be just turn down the grass. That always helps.

But even with Grass V.HIGH and sliders on advanced options ( to medium size ) i have dipst to 45 sometimes outside side. I have advanced shadows on . Turn it off too?

But even with Grass V.HIGH and sliders on advanced options ( to medium size ) i have dipst to 45 sometimes outside side. I have advanced shadows on . Turn it off too?

Try turning that off yes and decrease the shadow quality in Graphics to High and then put the other setting to "Soft" so it'll look just as good but with higher FPS>

res is 1920 x 1080, even without any AA ( grass V.HIGH ) i have dips to 43 fps outside city with enabled high res shadows. Is this options cause huge fps drops?

Turn grass down to high. I had to do the same on my 980

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Turn grass down to high. I had to do the same on my 980

OP said he already did this.

OP said he already did this.

Sorry, I just seen His original post that says the grass is on "ultra"

@sew999 do you have any of the advanced graphics settings turned on? If so turn them off.

Edit..And may I correct you by saying the OP has said he turned grass down to "Very high" and not high...which is what i said he should turn it down to.

@sew999 I see you have high res shadows on..turn them off.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I have a 980 and have the same problem as you, MSAA is the culprit in my opinions, that wrecks my fps.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I have a 980 and have the same problem as you, MSAA is the culprit in my opinions, that wrecks my fps.

I have limited the game to 60 fps on my system which is a 980 and 4690k.

I maintain a solid 60 fps with all settings on very high apart from grass which is set to high.

I have no advanced graphics settings on as the performance hit is not worth the slight increase in visual fidelity.

Msaa set to 2x with txaa enabled.

These settings give me the best experience and after messing about with them all for a good few hours, it seems to be the best way to play it.

I was hitting 70+ and then it would drop to 60 which would make it look slightly ugly when it dropped hence i limited it to 60 and now it's just great.

Edit I used rivatuner to limit the game and not vsync, vsync is set to off.

I have limited the game to 60 fps on my system which is a 980 and 4690k.

I maintain a solid 60 fps with all settings on very high apart from grass which is set to high.

I have no advanced graphics settings on as the performance hit is not worth the slight increase in visual fidelity.

Msaa set to 2x with txaa enabled.

These settings give me the best experience and after messing about with them all for a good few hours, it seems to be the best way to play it.

I was hitting 70+ and then it would drop to 60 which would make it look slightly ugly when it dropped hence i limited it to 60 and now it's just great.

Edit I used rivatuner to limit the game and not vsync, vsync is set to off.

Got a 144hz monitor, so nope, and I can get a solid 60-70 fps in cities but as the OP states when going out of city and driving around quickly it eats up some frames.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Got a 144hz monitor, so nope, and I can get a solid 60-70 fps in cities but as the OP states when going out of city and driving around quickly it eats up some frames.

As you can see in my sig I also have a 144hz monitor.

And i to get the same frame rate as you in cities.

But when i go higher settings than what i have listed then the fps drops outside the city.

There isn't much of a difference when dropping the settings to what  i have listed.. But if you can live with the frame drops then that's fine.

My point about limiting to 60 without using vsync is it's better to maintain a solid 60fps rather than dropping form 70 to 60 and then back again.

turn of all the advanced graphics details, its an epic killer. so is anything more than 2x AA

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Everybody keeps saying turn things down. This is a problem with the game. It think its annoying. I have 980's in SLI. Most of the time, im getting 80-90 fps maxed out with msaa at 4x and shadows as well. When I get it grassy areas outside of the city, the fps cuts in half. That is the games fault. Even if you lower your settings, youre going to get really high fps in city and still deal with huge drops outside of the city which just shouldn't happen.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

My fps really go down if i am outside city , only in forest ( or just near tress ) .I am getting there 43-46 fps. I even change GRASS from ULTRA to V.HIGH , I disabled Advanced resolution shadows, and sliders are in medium on advanced options. Other options are maxed , MSAA 2x, TXAA. Is this normal? Why vegetation is really demanding even without GRASS maxed out and disabled advanced resolution shadows.

Now GTA PC working i just noticed my i7 3930k was 80% when i play and GTX 970 100% 

So i think GTA use CPU for physik 

Turn Grass to High, SSAO off, MSAA x2, turn of TXAA 9it's crap and decreases performance), view distance in advanced options off.  Shadows is another PC killer.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

My 970 runs 60+ frames inside the city and outside the city. I've never had it go below 60 during gameplay. Even out in the forest blowing up cars with my buddy I got it to drop to 62fps I think.

I'm running 1080 with 2x msaa (and txaa) with everything on very high. All of my aa options are at 2x (water and such). All advanced options off. There really isn't a noticeable difference inside and outside the city for me.

My 970 runs 60+ frames inside the city and outside the city. I've never had it go below 60 during gameplay. Even out in the forest blowing up cars with my buddy I got it to drop to 62fps I think.

I'm running 1080 with 2x msaa (and txaa) with everything on very high. All of my aa options are at 2x (water and such). All advanced options off. There really isn't a noticeable difference inside and outside the city for me.

Try to max out all settings (Grass Ultra, Nvidia PCSS, Hi-res Shadows, all advanced options) , and run benchmark - on Vinewood scene you will get 25 fps:)

Try to max out all settings (Grass Ultra, Nvidia PCSS, Hi-res Shadows, all advanced options) , and run benchmark - on Vinewood scene you will get 25 fps:)

I have all that on except the advanced graphics stuff. It TANKS my FPS. No point. With everything on very high and the AA all set to 2x it cant go below 60. 

It probably the combination of post processing at very high/ultra with in game dof and soft shadows.