(Another) GTA 5 Performance option

blu4

Hey,

Yes, I know. Another GTA 5 post but it's not about bugs and issues. Does anyone know what tanks the performance significantly? As an example, in Dying Light is was the distance slider that was affecting the performance. I have the game running at average 50 FPS on high/very high but I want to turn some options down to get a locked 60 FPS all the time. I have AA off because I'm on a 4K monitor.

Edit:

TB just released a video explaining the performance.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

biggest hit is texture details. I difference between medium high and extra is about 1gb per step.

also population variety is a massive resource hog, so I'd recommend leaving that or turning it down if you have.

shadows also hammer things. there's a video online somewhere showing comparisons of shadow fineness vs performance. basically even on the lower setting they still look fantastic

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Ultra grass kills your fps. Leave it on very high or high. Also the advanced graphics settings tank your fps, while offering little in return

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

can you lower your resolution to 1080p maybe?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

You're funny. I like you.

instead you should turn all your settings up higher, but get two 980s in SLI. then join the club!

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

You're funny. I like you.

I lol'd. I'm actually playing it at 1440p instead of 4k.

whike my 770 gives me playable frame rates and good ones at that at medium I still think visually high/extra 1440p tips 4k medium.

have you noticed how bad some of the textures are though in 4k? imported characters from the console versions look terrible at times. like people tattoos, its like the original render was at like 480p and then upscale to 1080p so at 4k it's just a black smudge.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I lol'd. I'm actually playing it at 1440p instead of 4k.

whike my 770 gives me playable frame rates and good ones at that at medium I still think visually high/extra 1440p tips 4k medium.

have you noticed how bad some of the textures are though in 4k? imported characters from the console versions look terrible at times. like people tattoos, its like the original render was at like 480p and then upscale to 1080p so at 4k it's just a black smudge.

I haven't tried that yet- some things in 4K look fantastic but others not so much. The clothing is noticeable- I'll try to play around with settings. I will also have a look at the tattoos to confirm :D

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/