The Mini-One

monaka25

I have seen IMCustoms's "Project Ultima". It inspired me to do something DIY of my own. So a couple weeks ago.. while it was mining Ziftrcoin(It gets like 1 usd cent worth of ziftrcoin's after a few days of mining..) soda spilt on it. So I guessed it was done for... So like "anyone" would do, I put the power  cord that had a few sticky spots on the end due to the soda, I plugged it into the PSU.. But it made a pop sound.. so I unplugged it before trying to power it on. So I don't know if its fried.. but for the heck of it, I tore it down, got mobo out(I tried taking the cpu out sideways.. and when I loosened the retention arm, it kinda slipped from it.. and I see bent pins.. but its exactly half the socket.. so Idk if its meant to be bent). After I did that, I got the cpu, heatsink, HDD, ect ect. accidentally broke one of the antenna cords to connect to its intel centrino wireless n card. Idk if it is fried.. so I decided after all things considered.. I would try my own project, and I have only built my own pc(worked on some before), you can see the specs in my signature. I'm going to do a small, smallll form factor case. I also smashed into this idea after seeing people liking a different small case, and after I rewatched his Gigabyte Brix I5G760 review  :P. I haven't decided if I will sacrifice a bit of size for support for full size PCI, or just low profile. It will take a SFX form factor PSU, and it will take a mini itx motherboard. The PSU will go on the top, and the case length and width will barly be bigger then the motherboard itself. There is 2 things right now that poses a issue. I don't have a mini itx motherboard and I don't have a SFX form factor PSU. I have made models about 2 weeks ago, I don't think it will be blue, this is just very rough for the basic Idea. It may be dead from detail, but the PSU will be at top, it will square around the mobo, and maybe few other features. Also, it will be a lga 1155 board because that computer I tore down had a pentium g.. I need to look back(Oh wait.. someone changed it to pentium 4 in google docs.. it was some sandy bridge pentium.. I had it in the list of ziftrcoin stats....)It was sandybridge, 2nd gen. So taking the gamble that it will work. Well this is ganna be a kickoff.. except I also don't have a CPU cooler.... oh wait I do :P The stalk one I pulled. :P BTW, THe computer was a dell inspiron 660s. So here is the final specs.

Update  6/23/2015   So the parts have been kind of stabilized a bit. The R5 230 got fried in the time, got lost, didn't work when tested. That 660s that got soda on it? I tested it tonight after months, it actually works. Just that the OS was corrupted bad on the driver(was like that before the incident :P, reinstalling windows anyways). I will use 8gb of ram, 4gb of AMD Entertainment series ram, and 4gb of ram that came with the computer, the AMD ram is currently in my gaming pc, it was pulled from the computer, but now I will put it back in once it comes time. The CPU works, and all the main components, except the antenna.. because I kind of cut one of the cords on accident shortly after the soda incident.. Ok, the 500gb blue works, I will just reinstall windows on it, but if its a storage issue, I will just use a laptop drive(I HAVE ALOT) for it, which would probs end up being a 250gb of 320gb WD Scorpio blue(I have 2x 320gb's from 2 twin laptops, and the 250gb from a different laptop). So that is stabilized. The motherboard form factor is a tiny bit custom, so rather then it being  a complete square, it may be slightly even rectangular, but just a bit. Here is the reason, it is to save money on the motherboard. The motherboard from the PC works too, with the socket, and everything. I will use that, and it has a slot for a wifi card(the type found in laptops, not usb or pci-e). I will just use a antenna from a laptop, and strap it to the case. So Last of all I will just need to figure out the PSU. The psu from the 660s  works, but it is really meant for just the 660s. It has the shortest motherboard power connector ever, most connections aren't long, and the psu is planned to be mount in the top for my plans. I may(if I can afford it, since I need to order something another item too.) get just some psu extensions to save plenty of money. It won't be a small box psu like I wanted, its a rectangular psu. But it will work. The thing that I need to order, besides the extensions, is the cpu cooler for my personal gaming pc. Small story, my HYPER T4 cooler came in, I had to break my cooler off, like a lot had too..(stupid intel cooler) So the T4 wouldn't go on, it is meant too, but it kept on slipping off, others on newegg reported this.. but I didn't think it was too bad, the starts weren't bad. After that, the only cooler I had was from the 660s... It was built mostly for that mobo, and the fan had a weird shape. I had to push the built in long screws barly through the mobo as hard as I could, and put a metal nub on it, that came with the t4... I had a fan that fit the dell cooler, so I put it on, but since it had a weird mount shape, I was only able to screw in 2(the dell cooler had the weird mounting parts, not the fan). I will put that back in the mobo I will be using for the pc, this is when I get a new stock  cooler, or something hardly better, for my gaming pc. :P

Specs:

The Mini-One(case)

8gb of dell memory(4gb Dell stock ddr3 ram) And 4gb of Amd entertainment series 1600mhz ram.)

Second gen pentium.

A mini itx motherboard(Dell Inspiron 660s mobo)

A SFX psu(Dell inspiron 660s psu with extensions.)

A 500gb WD caviar blue.

Win 8.1 64 bit(reinstall, came with win 8 when I got the 660s, and relicensing it should be easy, since its to essentially the same system I'm relicensing it too.

Inspiron 660s default cooler.

Well, this is Ghetto!  :lol:

I will post a very rough picture of the model for the basic idea, and the color most likely won't be blue xD.

post-190343-0-12536000-1429147753_thumb.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

There, I just edited the post, the pic is now there. Those square holes will actually be circle air ventilation holes. It looks like there back panel, but that's just the picture. You see the CPU cooler, ram spots in back.. ect. The PCI slot's will  go on the right of the picture, and the other side will probably be ventilation and that Io without any ports you see. I hope this gets started!

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5

ninja'd

EDIT: I just realized I named the thread "The Mini-Oned"  Its meant to be "The Mini-One" .-. So keep that in mind  :P  xD

You can change the thread title, click edit than click use full editor and you can change your title and add a poll etc.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

You can change the thread title, click edit than click use full editor and you can change your title and add a poll etc.

Ohh.. Thanks. I use full editor, but just for screenshots normally, I never have paid attention to the other settings, Thanks!

SMALL UPDATE!

I got all the wood I will need..well atleast most of it... It is ganna be painted so it looks nice on the outside.

It is possible it could be a long time until I get a motherboard and PSU.   

• 2 months later...

Update  6/23/2015   So the parts have been kind of stabilized a bit. The R5 230 got fried in the time, got lost, didn't work when tested. That 660s that got soda on it? I tested it tonight after months, it actually works. Just that the OS was corrupted bad on the driver(was like that before the incident :P, reinstalling windows anyways). I will use 8gb of ram, 4gb of AMD Entertainment series ram, and 4gb of ram that came with the computer, the AMD ram is currently in my gaming pc, it was pulled from the computer, but now I will put it back in once it comes time. The CPU works, and all the main components, except the antenna.. because I kind of cut one of the cords on accident shortly after the soda incident.. Ok, the 500gb blue works, I will just reinstall windows on it, but if its a storage issue, I will just use a laptop drive(I HAVE ALOT) for it, which would probs end up being a 250gb of 320gb WD Scorpio blue(I have 2x 320gb's from 2 twin laptops, and the 250gb from a different laptop). So that is stabilized. The motherboard form factor is a tiny bit custom, so rather then it being  a complete square, it may be slightly even rectangular, but just a bit. Here is the reason, it is to save money on the motherboard. The motherboard from the PC works too, with the socket, and everything. I will use that, and it has a slot for a wifi card(the type found in laptops, not usb or pci-e). I will just use a antenna from a laptop, and strap it to the case. So Last of all I will just need to figure out the PSU. The psu from the 660s  works, but it is really meant for just the 660s. It has the shortest motherboard power connector ever, most connections aren't long, and the psu is planned to be mount in the top for my plans. I may(if I can afford it, since I need to order something another item too.) get just some psu extensions to save plenty of money. It won't be a small box psu like I wanted, its a rectangular psu. But it will work. The thing that I need to order, besides the extensions, is the cpu cooler for my personal gaming pc. Small story, my HYPER T4 cooler came in, I had to break my cooler off, like a lot had too..(stupid intel cooler) So the T4 wouldn't go on, it is meant too, but it kept on slipping off, others on newegg reported this.. but I didn't think it was too bad, the starts weren't bad. After that, the only cooler I had was from the 660s... It was built mostly for that mobo, and the fan had a weird shape. I had to push the built in long screws barly through the mobo as hard as I could, and put a metal nub on it, that came with the t4... I had a fan that fit the dell cooler, so I put it on, but since it had a weird mount shape, I was only able to screw in 2(the dell cooler had the weird mounting parts, not the fan). I will put that back in the mobo I will be using for the pc, this is when I get a new stock  cooler, or something hardly better, for my gaming pc. :P

Thanks for reading! The cooler on my gaming pc has the old thermal paste and newish thermal paste(combined the 2 due to lack of lint free cloth at the time)(talking about 660s cooler on my gaming pc) actually cools my pc better(with the fan I added) then the old intel stock cooler that came with the i3 in my gaming pc :P. If you have a lot of computers lying around,  you think some are broken, or something bad happens to it and you don't dare to test it.. its worth a try. Worked for me :P