Why did you choose AMD over NVIDIA or Nvidia over AMD?

I really don't know why I chose the 6850 for my first build, I guess it just met my criteria and was cheaper then the nVidia cards in its class. For my 7950, I definitely chose it because of price to performance and partially because it came with free games. If AMD keeps it up with the killer game bundles, they've got themselves a guaranteed customer.

i5 2500k @ 4.5 ghz, 8gb Kingston Hyper X RAM @ 1600 mhz, MSI Twin Frozr HD 7950 1100/1575 (Currently in RMA), 60 GB OCZ SSD, 500 GB Seagate HDD, 250 GB WD HDD (form my old PC), 1 TB WD external HDD, Corsair HX750 PSU, Fractal Design Define R4 windowed, Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus.

Nvidia, simply having Adaptive Vsync is a deal breaker for me atleast.

I got Nvidia because it was on sale and cheaper than the competing and weaker AMD card.

I chose and continue to choose Nvidia for my personal system because of the cuda cores needed for some applications.

For gaming, I go for amd for the better price to performance ratio. 

Looks aren't too important to me--it is an optional thing. I go whichever does what's needed for the lowest price and it's AMD most of the time.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

In the past i have used nvidia cards and they worked great, but now i'm using AMD cards  because it was cheap and was the best performer for the price .I  recently had a HD 6670 ddr5, a low end card but i was very impressed for the performance i get at the time and the low price, now i have hd 7790 wich runs great

CPU : AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2ghz : 2x4gb ddr3 1333mhz : Video card : Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 Dual-X OC : Motherboard : MSI Nf725m-p43 

PSU  : Raidmax RX-735AP : OS : Windows 7 Professional x64 / W8 Pro x64

I choose AMD over Nvidia, just because the first nvidia gpu i ever bought came to be a DOA, since then AMD was best for me for price and ratio as well as performance.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

I chose my current card, AMD 7970, due to the fact I am currently using a AMD based system. My previous card was a 560 Ti. And the card before that was a 4670. I really have no allegiance to either side. When I was picking my new card, I had a 680 and a 7970 both in my newegg cart and sat there looking at both for a good hour before I chose the 7970. In the end it was probably due to the lower price tag and the fact I have an AMD cpu as well That I chose it. 

for some reason i've always had ati/amd (when i had the choice i.e. my laptop has a 640m but because i liked the laptop) but for desktops always ati/amd because it was the best deal (price performance) and i like them, always have but that wouldn't stop me from buying an nvidia if it were a better deal

Like you, OP, my first card was a 6870. I had random driver issues with it the entire year I had it, and I switched, like you, to a 670 last year. I switched to NVIDIA because of the better driver performance, and because at the time, the 670 was even better than the 7970. The Never settle bundle wasn't out, and the price points were pretty close. Now, the AMD prices are better, and I think the ghz versions of the 7000 series cards are faster, but I think I would still go with nvidia, simply because If I'm already paying $400+ for a GPU, I want the absolute best performance I can get in that price range. I plan on getting an 870/880 next year, or MAYBE a 780 this year. 

I originally went with nvidia back when the 8800 gtx was out. Didn't upgrade again until the 400 series was around and I kept with nvidia because all my friends who had AMD were super pissed off because of the driver issues. I've seen friends go through the 4000 series to the 6000 series and always driver issues. As of right now all of them now have nvidia cards. So I kept with nvidia and prolly will forever.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

I chose Nvidia because of the CUDA cores. I do a little bit of video editing with Premiere so having my graphics card do some of the work is very helpful. 

Plus, the MSI 660 Ti is a great card for overclocking while also being very quiet because of the Twin Frozr IV. 

I bought a 7950 because price vbs performance the AMD was cheaper, I'd go for either brand that gives me the best bang for buck.

#!

I've been using Nvidia ever since I started using Linux. AMD had some problems with the drivers and Nvidia did not. Recently Nvidia had some problems but that was with Optimus and that's used more with laptops so it's not an issue.

i7 3770 | Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 | Kingston HyperX Blu 16 GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

Fractal Design Define R4 | Nexus RX-8500 850W | Asus P8Z68-V-PRO/GEN3 | 2 x Asus 24.1" PA248Q

“An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.” – Niels Bohr

For my first ever "gaming grade" gpu (gtx560 non-ti), I went with Nvidia simply because I could understand their naming system better than AMD's (was a massive tech noob at the time, and not much better now). Since then I've just stuck with Nvidia because I'm just the sort of person who once I find a company I like I stick with them and won't change for pretty much anyhting. Having said that, my motherboard only supports Crossfire, and not SLI, so I've been thinking of replacing my 670 with a pair of 7970's, or whatever the high end 9000 series card is when released/when AMD get's their driver issues sorted.

I never had any driver issues with AMD, but my last ATi card was a X1550 lol, when it was still ATi.

I used to do some stuff in 3DS Max with RayFire and Physx with my GTS-250 and that helped a lot in decreasing the time it takes to do a simulation with physx, Now I have a GTX-650, but now it seems that it doesn't work with RayFire lol.

I guess my next card will be an AMD one.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I've gone through nearly every graphics card on the market for the past 6-ish years due to being a hobbyist custom PC builder. I've always benchmarked each system and new version of drivers to find out how they compare first-hand and which drivers are optimal at the time, keeping contact information of my client in case new drivers come out that are actual improvements. You still likely don't care about that or my results so I'll detail my personal experience instead:
My first pick was nVidia, the BigFoot GeForce 7600. When I realized my retail PC came with the dieing AGP x8 slot standard, I had to instead get an AMD Diamond X1300 Pro. I knew the GeForce was the better card, so I kept it and eventually tested it in my first custom build. Now I had upgraded to an AMD HIS HD2600 Pro before my first personal custom build, but let's keep the comparison between the X1300 and 7600. It was indeed better, but there was something amiss I couldn't put my finger on when I switched out to the ASUS HD 4850 Matrix card I got for that dedicated personal build. The HD4850 was far and wide better than the 7600 let alone the rest, so I wound up using them all in custom builds for family and friends. From there, the fan on my HD4850 died one week after the one year warranty expired, so I got a side-grade; the XFX HD5770. Now this card lasted me a very long time until I updated my CPU/MB and it became incompatible with the ~3GB of shared VRAM on the MB. There was a noticeable performance hit, so I spent hours, days, and weeks searching for my latest upgrade. Suddenly, with the HD7000 and GTX600 series going at it, my primary retailer had the EVGA GTX580 Ultra Classified on supersale for $250. I couldn't pass this up and bought it immediately. To my surprize, it was scoring better than existing GTX680 scores, especially in games. So I investigated this. I found out that inspite of having far more CUDA cores, the GTX600 series crippled their performance significantly. There's also fewer double-precision CUDA cores on the GTX600 series tiers contrast to their GTX500 counterparts. Now, inspite of all this impressive performance, I came across that same feeling of something amiss. Considering I had been gaming on the same monitor - ASUS 26" 1920x1200 - since I first built this PC, I was settled into how the image on the screen should look. So this feeling of something amiss was easier to identify. I quickly realized that no matter what I did to adjust the visual and color options of the nVidia, I couldn't get the same color depth, accuracy, and sharpness I was used to with the AMD. It was subtle, and thus I dismissed it as irrelevant. I settled on the notion that once AMD had a far superior offering to this GTX580, I'ld upgrade. Provided there isn't a better bang-for-the-buck alternative.

TL;DR

I first got AMD due to better performance for the price, and the fact they were pushing the newest tech first at the time. Switched to nVidia due to an impressive sale. Discovered there was a certain sharpness to my image quality lost by switching. Resolved my next upgrade will once again be AMD.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.

I didn't chose either on my first rig. I didn't know anything, so a friend of mine suggested all my parts and he suggested a 7970.

For my new build I chose Nvidia over AMD simply because at the moment they have the more powerful card out. Which is all that matters to me.

Processors aside, In my area, i find that Amd cards are cheaper and it depends i guess, i personaly prefer amd when im using single gpu for my htpc/gaming and want better multi monitor support..but if i want a monster rig,in the past,i went for dual nvidia cards but they were very pricey...i dont edit videos so cuda cores dont really matter to me and i dont play with physicx anyways..i guess it depends on your needs..for a single gpu solution and multi monitor support,i suggest AMD...if video editing and dual gpu is your setup,then nvidia is the way to go..

By the time i thought i had "enough" money for a GPU, i started to look for some GPUs that were in my price range, i found the GTX 560 and the 560Ti (which was a lot more expensive, consider i live in Argentina - 1USD=10 pesos), knowing these two had a great bang for the buck i was aiming at either one of them (and if i could get enough, the Ti model).

I was still building my computer, and had a cheap-o PSU (never doing that again), so i was a bit afraid that the 560 and the Ti wouldn't have enough juice to run properly and safely. That's when, by looking at other alternatives, i found the AMD 6870 which was just my price range. After looking into it some more, i found a lot of users in forums comparing it to the 7850, the brand new series, at nearly the same price. After looking at some benchmarks on the GPU, and finding it was outperforming in a few benchmarks to the 560Ti, i didn't even think about it. It was cheaper, ran cooler and consumed less. (and btw, i was lucky enough to win a Corsair AX760 a few months later, so no damage at all!)

Right now i'm still using that 7850 (Sapphire 7850 OC Edition 2GB), and in all honesty, i cannot complain, it still handles every game i throw at it. Now i'm looking at the possibility to either switch to a 7970 in a future, and later on get myself a cheap 9800GT or another NVIDIA to have as a Physx unit, and have the best of both worlds.

my 1st buy was gtx 550ti cause i didnt know much about computer hardware back then and just pick the nvidia one that i could i afford. but my current is hd7870 because it was the best performing card that i could get on my budget (though i kinda wish i whipped out another 100 for the 7950, seeing how quite a fed review sites have shown a great performance to price ratio on the 7950)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

AMD. Bang for your buck.

3700X, GTX1060, 64GB HyperX 3000, B450 DS3H, 500GB SN750, TT Core G3, PreSonus Audiobox USB96

I chose my AMD 7870 mainly because of the better price to performance ratio and the Never Settle Bundle (Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite 2, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon).

I choose nVidia and pay more for the most part because they are good QUALITY and better performance if you are willing to pay for it. Also they have so many good things going for them and ease of use when it comes to staying current with drivers, optimized with GeForce Experience and the nVidia shield, and GPU Boost 2.0

Updating AMD drivers is so stupid compared to the beautiful way nVidia does it. Plus I have a 7970 (won it for free from Firewall, the newly open beta) and I am not a fan at all of the drivers and gaming quality. Can't wait to buy like a 780 or a Titan or something.

I would rather buy a great product (nVidia) than a lower quality knockoff (AMD).

Disappointed both the xBox One and the PS4 are using AMD products :-[

I went with Nvidia because whilst my first card was a 3dfx voodoo 3500.  When they went under the next best thing at the time was the GeForce 2 mx400. A cheap card but still good.  From there it seems every time I went to upgrade NVidia would have a slightly better performing card for a slightly better price.  At one time I had a friend who bought an ATI card and he had major trouble with drivers and so switched back to Nvidia. since then Nvidia has been like the default card.  I wish I had more experience with AMD but when I spend $300-$400 on a card I don't want to have trouble or regret taking a chance and I tend to stick with what I know.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.