Worldwide PC sales in huge slump

grayperview

PC sales are now in the longest slump in history, with the emergence of the Tablet i am not really surprised.

Why should we be concerned? If there is less money to be made of the larger companies, they may consider leaving the PC market.

I have been thinking it for years that there will come a stage where people no longer want a big box and screen for their computing needs, it seems that may be coming around sooner than i thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23251285

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I kinda knew this was gonna happen, i think it's because of Windows 8 but that's just me.

I can't stand Windows 8 and i think it's a OS for a tablet and not a desktop PC, i love my Windows 7 and if they won't make a new OS for desktop usage i will probably never buy a Microsoft product again..

I've tested Windows 8 on tablets and it's perfect but for desktops it feels so wrong.

Thanks for the news anyways ;)

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I don't understand the hate towards windows 8. With a small 5mb download it becomes windows 7 with more... it seems it's more people either being lazy and being too proud than actually having valid points.

There will continue to be a market for towers for a long time.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

In my opinion windows 8 is not to blame. The fact that tablet sales have grown hugely is part of it, and the other part is the fact that over the past few generations of cpu's we have not seen massive performance boosts really. 

Not everyone needs a desktop computer which is probably why more people are buying tablets. Either that or people are just buying into the hype of mobile devices which will probably die out in the enxt 5 years. After that people will probably start buying PC's again. If anyone says the desktop PC is dying out they are just stupid, PC's do everything that any other device does but much much better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

From what I remember, this has been going on for years. There's always a "slump".

Let me give you a more broader overview. How many computers does a household have? One, maybe two? A laptop probably.

Right when tablets and smartphones started to release, how many were in a household? Possibly the same number of people in said household. Parents will buy themselves and their children smartphones and that could be 5 brand new contracts. But what about their home computer? Does it work the way they need it? Does it surf Facebook and need more RAM for Microsoft Office? No? Then there's no reason to upgrade it. One computer could equal 5+ people in one household. A smartphone or tablet could be potentially mean that everyone in the household has one.

Computers are staying current for way to long, but who's fault is that really? It's certainly not Windows 8, it might have some influence for a purchase, but I bet most people can figure out, "hey, I don't like this Windows 8 stuff, let's see if I can get Best Buy to switch it to Windows 7 for a nominal fee or for free, otherwise I'll just return it and buy a used computer with Windows 7". Now, the primary cause of this is, a computer from 5-7 years ago can still do Microsoft Office just as well as my 2500k, it can still watch YouTube, it can still browse Facebook. There is no need to buy a new computer if your old one works fine.

Now you could say that your old flip phone works fine, you don't need a smartphone. Well in this day and age, people rely on fashion and want to be in the "scene", so kids have their parents buy them stuff, they don't care about that loud Dell XPS you remember getting when you're 7 years old that has always been slow.

There will be a market for tower computers for a long time to come. Like others are saying, it's not Windows 8's fault. Desktops stay current much longer than tablets, smartphones and laptops. They are also subject to less physical use than mobile, so they have longer upgrade cycles.

We are seeing a similar thing with the latest generation of smart phones (s4, htc one etc.) where there really isn't a NEED to upgrade from the previous generation because it doesn't bring much more, especially when compared to the jump from s to s2 and s2 to s3, for example.

TL;DR: You can't keep releasing products every 8 months and expect people to purchase them.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I would like to see a better breakdown so we can see what PC types specifically aren't selling well. I could see a situation where laptop sales are tanking in favor of tablets, but PC sales are steady, etc... but I can't say for certain without better figures. Also, I wonder what PCs are included there. Do they count everything, or just pre-built units from big companies like HP and Dell.

I would like to see a better breakdown so we can see what PC types specifically aren't selling well. I could see a situation where laptop sales are tanking in favor of tablets, but PC sales are steady, etc... but I can't say for certain without better figures. Also, I wonder what PCs are included there. Do they count everything, or just pre-built units from big companies like HP and Dell.

This is what I have always wanted to know, does it include any stats for buying parts?  Apart from the NCIX pre-built systems, I have not heard of anyone (buisnesses aside) that has bought a pre-built desktop in years.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Until ultrabook convertible tablets match the power of a custom gaming system, desktop systems will still exist. Prebuilt ones might get phased out in favour of ultrabooks though, if they're just as powerful and have the portability. Custom-built gaming systems will always exist if they're ahead in terms of performance.

Touch interfaces maturing further will result in far fewer desktop systems. Workstations would be the exception.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Custom built gaming rigs will only continue to exists as long as the manufacturers are making money. The downward trend is something to to be worried about...It will impact us if these companies no longer see the PC as no longer a financially viable platform........

We are a long way from that, but what we could see is further price increases of high end gear, and slower upgrade cycles as companies like Intel / Nvidia may not throw as much finance behind developing new products for the PC platform. 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

u used to need a new pc every year back then

Horrible OS

horrible slow hardware

since 2007 (core2duo era)

u dont really need a new pc for average work

+ i blame win8 xD

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Does anyone else ever worry that we don't count in this? I mean, there's never any mention of the "enthusaist" market, the self builders and families with someone who can build for them.

Yes, the market for pre-built "desktop" PCs is dead, but laptops won't ever be properly replaced by tablets, and people will always be building their own rigs, so we're a long way from the "death of the PC"...

Does anyone else ever worry that we don't count in this? I mean, there's never any mention of the "enthusaist" market, the self builders and families with someone who can build for them.

Yes, the market for pre-built "desktop" PCs is dead, but laptops won't ever be properly replaced by tablets, and people will always be building their own rigs, so we're a long way from the "death of the PC"...

Yeah this is how i see it. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Custom built gaming rigs will only continue to exists as long as the manufacturers are making money. The downward trend is something to to be worried about...It will impact us if these companies no longer see the PC as no longer a financially viable platform........

We are a long way from that, but what we could see is further price increases of high end gear, and slower upgrade cycles as companies like Intel / Nvidia may not throw as much finance behind developing new products for the PC platform. 

The thing is the mainstream market could completely abandon the desktop and they would still make the parts, since how many people in the professional level will do touch typing on a phone or tablet? Nor do the phones, tablets or even the most screaming high end laptops have the grunt to do what a low budget desktop can.  3D modeling on a laptop is always downright bad, same with any real work that do sent involve just spreadsheets. With that said business will continue to support the desktop as they last far longer, if you bought the most high end laptop out there ($1200+), it could be bested by a $500-$700 dollar desktop with ease.

I don't understand the hate towards windows 8. With a small 5mb download it becomes windows 7 with more... it seems it's more people either being lazy and being too proud than actually having valid points.

You mean i can pay $100 to upgrade to windows 8 from WIN7 and then download something to make it windows 7? :lol:

And you wonder why Windows 8 is a failure..

As mentioned purpose built PC's will NEVER be replaced by tablets, they simply will NEVER have the amount of power and versatility then the desktop computer. 

It is as simple as that.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

You mean i can pay $100 to upgrade to windows 8 from WIN7 and then download something to make it windows 7? :lol:

And you wonder why Windows 8 is a failure..

Ok first of all not all people own windows 7 and second there are other advantages of windows 8 over windows 7

As long as the companies can make money by selling tablets instead we should not worry too much. The average person might not buy as many cheap PCs or cheap laptops but gamers and high-end users will still buy real PCs. What we'll probably see are less cheap PC models to choose from, manufacturers might streamline their inventory more.

Also don't forget the enterprise and server business, tablets won't be replacing those.

And for the general mass market Windows 8 is not to blame for anything.

PC sales will pick up in a few years when everybody's Athlons and Core2Duos die.

Most people only replace a computer when it dies.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This doesn't really bother me because at the end of the day they're all computers, in 10-15 years when all the kids have space age computers built into their arms or something nobody is going to give a crap about ye olde desktop PCs.

The point I'm trying to make is, as soon as desktops become completely obsolete, then it's not going to matter because we're going to have something better.

Until then I'm sticking with something I have control over.  :P

I think the biggest problem with windows 8 was all the dodgy second rate superficial reviews it got by not so in touch tech wannabes like pcworld, zdnet, (insert any other mass market publication here) the real professionals who review properly did not make a comment until they had it installed, used for a while and did some proper testing (thinking people like Linus and Logan here) I know Logon bagged it but it was for very specific reasons and it most mostly tongue in cheek.

Why are pc sales are dropping? just wait another year, there will be a major change when Microsoft officially stop support for XP and all the business that have had no need to upgrade will suddenly have one.  Then we will see a change and it will probably be to windows 8.1.  Although some will go toward apple it will be minor due to cost.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As long as the companies can make money by selling tablets instead we should not worry too much. The average person might not buy as many cheap PCs or cheap laptops but gamers and high-end users will still buy real PCs. What we'll probably see are less cheap PC models to choose from, manufacturers might streamline their inventory more.

Also don't forget the enterprise and server business, tablets won't be replacing those.

And for the general mass market Windows 8 is not to blame for anything.

This is could be very true,  Remember people, you can squeeze significantly more processing power into a 3Ft3  case than you can into a tablet 5mm thick 10" on the diagonal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.