Experiences with non-techies

46 minutes ago, stretchy9878 said:

What annoys me is that people say that their flash drive is a usb,  usb is the connector GAWD! 

^^^

I don't mind as much when they say "USB drive" or "USB stick" but when they just say USB a little part of me dies inside.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

A new eperience with non techies and a moment of wtf am I doing with my time.

So, an article about the Scorpio Xbox was talking about how this console has 6 TFLOPs of "power" and it will be an absolute beast and how late next year it will be the equivalent of a computer in the mid range because it has the same tflops  than a 1070 or 980 ti. 

So, I made a reply on that article basically saying that not all TFLOPS are born equal and that for a machine with AMD hardware, the card with similar tech and TFLOPS is the RX 480 which performs similarly to a 970.

Then I mentioned that although it is a nice upgrade over current gen consoles it will be kind of low end by the time the Scorpio is out.

Nothing to see there right?

Wrong!

Now I am being attacked by all the fanboys accusing me of talking out of my ass because reasons and, that the Scorpio will crush all PC "gaymers" super builds... Sigh...

How the hell did that happen?

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

45 minutes ago, Miguel Batista said:

snip

but a 980ti is not a super build hell at that time it was high end and now mid ranged. super build are the ones with at least a high end dual gpu setup. so i dont get how a 1070 is a super build or how can a console even beat that.

And not to mention it would be cheap. i am seeing at least $550

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

2 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

-snip-

TFLOPS are only comparable in the same GPU architecture. RX 480 has 5.5TFLOPS and GTX 970 has 3.5TFLOPS (RX 480 is somewhere between GTX 970 and GTX 980), GTX 980 has 4.6TFLOPS, Titan X (maxwell) has 6TFLOPS and the GTX 1070 has 6.5TFLOPS. (Pascal is comparable with Maxwell, since it's smaller Maxwell on speed). Also the 6TFLOS Xbox Scorpio is supposed to have is CPU+GPU.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Oh this is good xD

I was helping my grandma with her new TV and Phone set-up when she moved house, and she told me there was a bag in the garage to get rid of. So i was expecting her old tv stand or something but no. Oh no. A FULL BIN BAG(TRASH CAN BAG) of CUT UP  PHONE WIRE, because she thought the people who find the bag might get information from COPPER  CABLES xD.

25 minutes ago, Urishima said:

Could you NOT do that? Thank you.

do like I did, click the report button, there are too many replies for mods to actually be able to verify them all.

Edited by wkdpaul
typo

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

7 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

A new eperience with non techies and a moment of wtf am I doing with my time.

So, an article about the Scorpio Xbox was talking about how this console has 6 TFLOPs of "power" and it will be an absolute beast and how late next year it will be the equivalent of a computer in the mid range because it has the same tflops  than a 1070 or 980 ti. 

So, I made a reply on that article basically saying that not all TFLOPS are born equal and that for a machine with AMD hardware, the card with similar tech and TFLOPS is the RX 480 which performs similarly to a 970.

Then I mentioned that although it is a nice upgrade over current gen consoles it will be kind of low end by the time the Scorpio is out.

Nothing to see there right?

Wrong!

Now I am being attacked by all the fanboys accusing me of talking out of my ass because reasons and, that the Scorpio will crush all PC "gaymers" super builds... Sigh...

How the hell did that happen?

But to compare the computation power of a PC and a console is practically useless because games are optimized on console hardware and will run far smoother because of that then on a PC where any arrangement of hardware could be used. Its absolutely stupid though to be so blinded by console gaming that you don't realize that the hardware they are having to use in the consoles is mid to low end because of so many constraints. 

5 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

TFLOPS are only comparable in the same GPU architecture. RX 480 has 5.5TFLOPS and GTX 970 has 3.5TFLOPS (RX 480 is somewhere between GTX 970 and GTX 980), GTX 980 has 4.6TFLOPS, Titan X (maxwell) has 6TFLOPS and the GTX 1070 has 6.5TFLOPS. (Pascal is comparable with Maxwell, since it's smaller Maxwell on speed). Also the 6TFLOS Xbox Scorpio is supposed to have is CPU+GPU.

The point of TFLOPs is to give a comparable theoretical max performance between different hardware when calculating floating point numbers, regardless of architecture. Real world performance is different due to many variables such as optimization, architectural differences, etc.

The reason they are compabale is because the formula doesn't care about diiferent architectures.

FLOPs ==  socket count X cores per socket X clock speed X FLOPs per cycle

IPC is commonly used for FLOPs per cycle since that variable is technically operations per cycle.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I've read this here:

24 ports business grade switch died during a LAN party, because there was too much "load" on it ... Obviously!

*Sigh*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I just had to give you this one story of mine while I was working in a repair shop.

Basically, an angry customer came in and was shouting all over the place. His PC wouldn't turn on, and now this specific setup had one of those power supplies that supported one kettle in and one out to a screen, so there were two connectors (see where I'm going..) I honestly expected the power supply to be broken or something legitimate but no.

Turns out this guy was making a fuss about everything, he claimed to know computers and we sold him a "dead" one. After arguing, he eventually demonstrated how he plugged in the PC, he literally took a female to male kettle plug, plugged it into the bottom part of the PC. Then they proceeded to plug it into the top bit of the power supply.

My co-worker ran out the shop trying to hold in his laughter, why I had to try explain how a computer could not evolve into a generator.

It all ended with the argument that it's called a "Power Supply" so it should be supplying power. Who knows, self powered computers are the new thing heh?

My grandma asked me how to make a folder on the destop for some files of hers. I said:

Right click

new folder

And she was like: oh my gosh, can you write that down for me? how do you know all this stuff? -_-

LinusTechTips Just passed 3 Million subs on Youtube.

Woot!

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 1/16/2013 at 4:16 AM, RobbieX27 said:

People thinking they can download RAM....

At least they changed it from a legitimate virus to a meme.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 (+OC)

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz, ASRock X570 Pro4 

my mom wanted me to not use my desktop for the day (i as just overclocking too much), so she took the keyboard away LOL

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Some years ago I was working as a phone tech support. I spent a whole day "troubleshooting" a woman whos laptop didn't boot. She had bought it the same day. First question to her "Have you plugged it into a charger?" her answer: "Are you dumb? It's laptop, it doesn't need cables." Then I spent the 5 hours of my work day explaining that the laptop was sold battery unchanrged and even if she got it started, it wouldn't charge itself and that she needed to plug the charger to an outlet and plug the charger to her laptop to charge the battery. I have never been called idiot more than that day. When I finally got her to understand how batteries and chargers work, she got her laptop started... she asked why her wireless mouse didn't work, I said that it was broken and she needed to take it back to the shop and hanged the phone.

My first and my last day as a phone tech support. I still see nightmare about that day and I will never work as a tech support again :|

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

my mom wanted me to not use my desktop for the day (i as just overclocking too much), so she took the keyboard away LOL

WHY WOULD SHE DO THIS????

Linus is my fetish.

26 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Mine just casually fucks up a 4K monitor. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

Mine usually takes away the power cord and just hide it somewhere, but because our cable management is so crap she couldn't even figure out which plug was for the computer xD Years ago she had hid our PS2 because my brother and I kept playing until late at night. The one place she found to hide it was in...

the snack cabinet. You know, that cabinet we look at every hour for snacks.

I keep posting here. I really have to stop.

One time, my friend met me at my college's cafeteria, and I found out about 20 minutes into a conversation that he left a fairly demanding game open on his laptop. Trust  me when I say this: i don't remember the model number or specs off-hand, but it's barely safe to run games on that thing, let alone leave them open unattended.

I say this to him, trying to tell him his computer might overheat or crash. He spends the next 10 minutes why he's certain that won't happen. Then he goes back to his dorm, and he texts me to tell me his computer crashed.

I must be psychic or something.

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

People that call data 4G.

Like: 

"I have run out of 4G this month"

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

17 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

People that call data 4G.

Like: 

"I have run out of 4G this month"

It annoys me so much, people over here call it 3G it's stupid...

11 hours ago, Bhav said:

i dont know

Build

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Bhav said:

i dont know

Build

Spoiler

There was a woman sitting next to me on the bus talking on her phone. At one point whoever she was talking to had bad cellular connection. She was like "oh my connection is very good because I have an iPhone, and its pink even". I assume she was asked what kind of iPhone she had due to her following reply - "it's and iPhone 5 but a 3rd generation, since it has iPhone 6 parameters".

I turned and quietly chuckled, thankfully she didn't hear me.

2 hours ago, Principis said:

It annoys me so much, people over here call it 3G it's stupid...

Me to, and every time I try to correct them in a friendly way they get mad at me because of it, so I do not do it often anymore.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking