Experiences with non-techies

19 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

While I won't go on everything, Apple was the first to create an OS with a GUI interface. So in a way, he is correct about that.

But the concept of a GUI, complete with cursor was thought up by a guy in the 60s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Psybadek said:

While I won't go on everything, Apple was the first to create an OS with a GUI interface. So in a way, he is correct about that.

nope

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, Psybadek said:

Apple wasn't the first to come up with the idea of a GUI or mouse. They were just the first to put it in a package, put into manufacturing, and sell it to the public. So while what you said is technically correct it is not the full story.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

On 1/28/2016 at 10:52 PM, Fgtfv567 said:

NES, consoles were the most popul

12 hours ago, Psybadek said:

ahem* it was IBM that came up with the GUI although apple and microsoft stole it more or less

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

49 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

ahem* it was IBM that came up with the GUI although apple and microsoft stole it more or less

?????????????

IBM had NOTHING to do with the first GUI operating systems...

20 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

?????????????

IBM had NOTHING to do with the first GUI operating systems...

you sure? okay i was wrong lol did research i got my companies mixed up xerox is what i found lol my mistake

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

you sure? okay i was wrong lol did research i got my companies mixed up xerox is what i found lol my mistake

and like I said, the first concept of a GUI was done long before one was ever made.  some time in the 1960s I believe.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 3/16/2014 at 3:20 PM, antoainb said:

I didn't read the first 170 pages, waaay to much work.  :P

Well I am on 178 of 835 pages. Its a lot of work but there are lots of great stories in there. The work pays off. :P

Also you posted this on my birthday

Oh, I've got a new one.  So the geniuses at our school decided they would soon be disabling the ability to setup forwarding from the school-provided email address to your personal account (how I'm pretty sure everyone has it) "for security reasons".  Yeah, I'm sure your system with 1 password and who knows what going on behind the scenes is way more secure than my microsoft or gmail account with two-step verification... :dry: Now everyone will have to check both accounts routinely.  

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, I've got a new one.  So the geniuses at our school decided they would soon be disabling the ability to setup forwarding from the school-provided email address to your personal account (how I'm pretty sure everyone has it) "for security reasons".  Yeah, I'm sure your system with 1 password and who knows what going on behind the scenes is way more secure than my microsoft or gmail account with two-step verification... :dry: Now everyone will have to check both accounts routinely.  

You could just use IMAP, POP3, MS Exchange to push e-mails to your devices... 

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

You could just use IMAP, POP3, MS Exchange to push e-mails to your devices... 

Yeah I guess I'll have to setup something like that.  point remains, it's an unnecessary change for a stupid reason that won't accomplish anything but inconveniencing people.

56 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

At my school, we've never been able to send any emails to a domain that doesn't match our school's. They don't even want us to check our personal emails while at school.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

On 2/2/2016 at 9:16 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

But the concept of a GUI, complete with cursor was thought up by a guy in the 60s

I'm pretty sure technical xeroxad actually developed the first gui

5 minutes ago, cleb said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLS_(computer_system)

3 hours ago, dcb-z said:

At my school, we've never been able to send any emails to a domain that doesn't match our school's. They don't even want us to check our personal emails while at school.

Wow, tech at your school must really suck if they don't want you even looking at your own personal email. Not as much as the IT guys though...

Why is it that they don't want you to look at your own email? Please don't tell me it's for security reasons, or I'm going to have to come down there and really slap em a good one

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

7 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Wow, tech at your school must really suck if they don't want you even looking at your own personal email. Not as much as the IT guys though...

Why is it that they don't want you to look at your own email? Please don't tell me it's for security reasons, or I'm going to have to come down there and really slap em a good one

mine technically restricts logging into any service at all. (i just login to chrome and remote into home instead so much easier)

Spoiler

11 hours ago, cleb said:

look up Douglas Engelbart and Alan Kay (Xerox did developped a working GUI OS but Engelbart and Kay were the ones that came up with concepts in the end of the 60's)

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

look up Douglas Engelbart and Alan Kay (Xerox did developped a working GUI OS but Engelbart and Kay were the ones that came up with concepts in the end of the 60's)

this  isnt going to turn into the great hard drive debate is it. and when i spoke about it earlier i was talking about the company that brought it into existence physically not concepts 

Spoiler

One of my teachers thought that the dead pixels on the projector were dust on the lens. Really, they were dust the spots would be black, not white and flickering.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

29 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

this  isnt going to turn into the great hard drive debate is it. and when i spoke about it earlier i was talking about the company that brought it into existence physically not concepts 

nope, @Ryan_Vickers said the conceopt of GUI was thought up in the 60's, @cleb replied that Xerox developed the first GUI ...

Xerox through their PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) did in fact coded the first GUI operating system (what cleb said), though it is also true that the concept was first thought of in the 60's (what Ryan_Vickers said).

Anything that is made, either hardware or software, has to be thought of first, that's what @Ryan_Vickers was talking about when he mentioned the GUI was first thought of in the 60's. There was a few research papers written by a few other guy around the same time but I can't remember the names (my software engineering classes are far far away).

WOW, just saw this amazing deal on a used gaming computer (sold in a shop)

i7 3rd gen (they don't mention anything else)

16GB of DDR3 (they don't mention anything else)

2TB hard drive (they don't mention anything else)

Nvidia GT730 (they don't mention anything else)

Antec 700w PSU (they don't mention anything else)

Hummer Black ATX Gaming Case (the only thing they mention with enough details that can be looked into!)

all for the amazing price of $645 !!! lollll

Again, from the same shop filled with idiots, I keep looking because from time to time you can find ok deals!

Lol I got one. Whenever I open up a laptop or desktop to do anything my mom is always like "don't break anything" and "I don't think that this is a good idea" even though I haven't broken any computer component in my life. But I guess she might have some reason for it since a few years back my dad tried to upgrade the ram in our desktop and it stopped working after that. He even tried putting the old ram back and it still didn't work. That was before I got into tech so I didn't have any idea what to do. Part of the reason though was probably cause he used a vacuum cleaner to clean out all the dust :/

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

mine technically restricts logging into any service at all. (i just login to chrome and remote into home instead so much easier)

Why? Why are all of these schools not letting you guys not sign into accounts?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Well I contacted IT by the link they sent out in the original notification email and actually got a decent answer.  Apparently their reasoning (which I didn't even ask about so it's nice they explained it actually) was that some users had been falling for phishing emails, giving up enough info that the attacker could sign into their account and enable forwarding to an account the attacker controls, allowing them access to any and all personal info that came in through the email.  So, as is tradition, all of use have to suffer because of the stupidity of a (hopefully) small few.

But, I did setup POP and SMTP so now I still get emails going to my personal account :)  At least until an attacker realizes they can do the same thing as before with that method and IT locks it down even more...