Experiences with non-techies

Was reading the tom's hardware troubleshooting...when guys asks why his cpu win't work and posts this.

sSnyqcL.jpg

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Was reading the tom's hardware troubleshooting...when guys asks why his cpu win't work and posts this.

That poor CPU.

"Why isn't my CPU working?" "You put thermal paste all over the bottom son."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So this happened before i knew anything about computers

Friend -"how much memory are you going to get in your pc?"

Me - "I think i will need at least 1TB"

Friend - "........."

sSnyqcL.jpg

That hurt my eyes looking at it.. I don't ever want to see something so horrible ever again

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

That hurt my eyes looking at it.. I don't ever want to see something so horrible ever again

correct me if i'm wrong, but if the thermal compound isn't conductive, wouldn't the pc post?

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

correct me if i'm wrong, but if the thermal compound isn't conductive, wouldn't the pc post?

I think it would still interrupt electrical flow, that or I think that the paste would push the CPU up enough that it wouldn't make contact with the socket holes

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I think it would still interrupt electrical flow, that or I think that the paste would push the CPU up enough that it wouldn't make contact with the socket holes

Or it would short the life out of that chip... and the mobo... and if he's unlucky, the PSU... and everything else in the case...

Woah I've never been here for a loooooonnnnnnnnnngggggg time.

anyways my aunt just called from the US and she was like

6b9.jpg

"All my friends watch their favorite show from there but I looked everywhere and I can't find which channel it is"

me after that

Wwlr8lR_700wa_0.gif

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

snip

To be honest, I thought it was a cracker on a heatsink.

Had to concentrate it looked like cooked egg on the CPU as well....

I don't know what that is, I don't want to see it....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

If you thought you heard it all you havent until a customer comes in with a GPU that "WASNT WORKING" to find out he cut 1/3 of the bus connectors because the card wouldnt fit in the slot on the motherboard!!!

IIRC there was a member on here who cut a PCIe x16 card to fit a PCIe x1 slot... and it worked...

IIRC there was a member on here who cut a PCIe x16 card to fit a PCIe x1 slot... and it worked...

if I had to do that, I would cut off the end of the slot... it should work.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

if I had to do that, I would cut off the end of the slot... it should work.

this ... cutting the PCIE card connector is completely idiotic when you can simply make an incision on the motherboard PCIE slot!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

-snip-

Excuse me sir, I think you have some CPU on your thermal paste. :D

I would bet that it could be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and still work. Assuming that owner didn't do stupid shit with it. (Which he probably did, worth a shot though)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I had a non-techie moment and killed a 2.5" HDD... granted the 2.5" IDE is not keyed (unlike the 3.5" IDE)... and I was working on a board with very few markers...

Excuse me sir, I think you have some CPU on your thermal paste. :D

I would bet that it could be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and still work. Assuming that owner didn't do stupid shit with it. (Which he probably did, worth a shot though)

How many gallons of alcohol do you think we need for it?

I had a non-techie moment and killed a 2.5" HDD... granted the 2.5" IDE is not keyed (unlike the 3.5" IDE)... and I was working on a board with very few markers...

Over 9000

About one swimming pool should do, we can always get more.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

So I was at the library for a school program/class. They needed some tech support setting up a laptop to the projector. They were basically using a VGA cable when it was an HDMI 2.0 port (they upgraded their systems, not their computers and laptops). Immediatly, the teacher goes and asks a librarian for help (because 70 year old women know computer stuff). The librarian comes in, and asks me, what the problem is. I politely respond "Basically, I'd need an HDMI cable or a really old laptop, because the system is new." The teacher, not knowing a thing about electronics mistakes me for disrespecting the person, and I get punished...

In short, I no longer do that class.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

Ehhhhh that's halarious... But why'd she buy an HDD instead of an SDD #3rdWorldProblems.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Oh god... that photo made me literally cry. It doesn't even hurt, I feel sorry for the poor CPU...