Experiences with non-techies

Not strictly an experience, but I just found this article that keeps referring to onboard storage as "memory"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/10064870/How-much-tablet-memory-is-enough.html

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Actually you can install Linux on a chromebook.... Lots of stuff to do there

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

I am well aware of this, I just need to see if the restrictions are such that I can't even do that. It's definitely worth a shot, because if I can I'll be able to make so much money off the freshmen who want a computer that, you know, works.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I am well aware of this, I just need to see if the restrictions are such that I can't even do that. It's definitely worth a shot, because if I can I'll be able to make so much money off the freshmen who want a computer that, you know, works.

I've tried this on my school-issued Chromebook, and sadly it didn't work. I booted it into dev mode, and it started beeping really loudly (in class, I might add) and then when it started up, it said dev mode was disabled, beeped again, and booted up regularly. I've heard of other kids being able to do it, so it's worth giving it a shot. Just don't get your hopes up.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Let them brag, they aren't "bad" at all actually... overpriced? sure but they are actually quite good headphones (just not for the price).

You are trying to shove your preferences down peoples throat and claiming them as facts.

This is why people will not like you and why they will call you names.

I actually dramatize it a bit, sorry about that, but i kinda did over react a bit. What actually happened is they asked me about headphones, and I just said, I have 40 dollar headphones, as they I didnt want a wtf is that kind of response. And then they said: I got beats. They all had them, and I kind have gotten pissed because they spent 200+ of there savings on nothing but a brand. But that apple fanboy crap. 

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

I actually dramatize it a bit, sorry about that, but i kinda did over react a bit. What actually happened is they asked me about headphones, and I just said, I have 40 dollar headphones, as they I didnt want a wtf is that kind of response. And then they said: I got beats. They all had them, and I kind have gotten pissed because they spent 200+ of there savings on nothing but a brand. But that apple fanboy crap. 

"apple fanboy crap" is not always the case, for all you know the people with macbooks/imacs/etc are actually doing developing and taking advantage of the consumer mind

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

"apple fanboy crap" is not always the case, for all you know the people with macbooks/imacs/etc are actually doing developing and taking advantage of the consumer mind

Well the ones who say they need a Macbook for Computing Science or general Sciences, or Social Sciences are purely fanboys. I just shake my head whenever I hear stuff like that from first years.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Or they could, you know, simply prefer Apple products.

It's their money to spend, really. Sure, you can get upset over it. I get frustrated when my classmates who are proudly on welfare and foodstamps (they tend to loudly announce when they're going to get their welfare check and hit the mall) post pictures of their massive haul of MAC cosmetics and high-end clothes. But then again, it's not my business what they waste their welfare checks on. It's on them when they finally realize that they've been spending too much of their money all along.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I get frustrated when my classmates who are proudly on welfare and foodstamps (they tend to loudly announce when they're going to get their welfare check and hit the mall) post pictures of their massive haul of MAC cosmetics and high-end clothes. But then again, it's not my business what they waste their welfare checks on. It's on them when they finally realize that they've been spending too much of their money all along.

Isn't that the reason they're on welfare and food stamps?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I figure it's not my business as to why they're on welfare.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Well the ones who say they need a Macbook for Computing Science or general Sciences, or Social Sciences are purely fanboys. I just shake my head whenever I hear stuff like that from first years.  

Who cares if they are fanboys? Why does it affect you though?

I never understand why people whine like little B*tches  when someone has a preference of something (even if it does cost jagloads more).

Or they could, you know, simply prefer Apple products.

It's their money to spend, really. Sure, you can get upset over it. I get frustrated when my classmates who are proudly on welfare and foodstamps (they tend to loudly announce when they're going to get their welfare check and hit the mall) post pictures of their massive haul of MAC cosmetics and high-end clothes. But then again, it's not my business what they waste their welfare checks on. It's on them when they finally realize that they've been spending too much of their money all along.

That's exactly it, and there's nothing wrong with that

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

A while ago I was in class and one of my friends was about to do a power point presentation and as per usual with our insanely overpriced hugely outdated dell laptops it didn't detect the projector, so I went up to help, after further inspection I found that when IT had re-imaged the laptop when they upgraded to windows 8 that they hadn't installed the graphics drivers (for the mind mindbogglingly fast Intel HD 3000 graphics...) I fixed that up gud.

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, Kingston Hyper X fury 16GB, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Cooler Master Hyper 212x, NZXT Noctis 450, Samsung 850 EVO 128GB + WD caviar blue 1TB, EVGA 750W G2. 

. God. Nobody ever gives me a break.

"Why do aw the aipples faw on me"

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I just found this article that keeps referring to onboard storage as "memory"

...and?

Homework for the week:-

Look up the meaning of ROM (Don't think it should have fullstops[periods] as it's an acronym, but is this generaly regarded as a style choice.

"This too shall pass"

Actually you can install Linux on a chromebook.... Lots of stuff to do there

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

*caugh*

chrome OS is linux. (the kernel atleast, IIRC)

*readjusts my head band* ye.

its really not for us to say if it is, but my opinion:

if it IS the reason; they're stealing others money.

if its NOT the reason; they're being wreckless with what has been -given- to them.

anyway. >-->

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I'm currently staying at a hotel and when I first came in I immediately looked the room up and down for specs. Lots of outlets, ok. Some ethernet ports, sweet. And the TV has a video input box so you can connect "Super HD Video up to 4K to the TV". TV is no more than 720p lul but ok....wait....what? They connected the video input box to the TV's "Super HD Video" input (it was really just HDMI xD) with a VGA adapter. So no matter what resolution the host is you get VGA quality. *shivers* Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure the ethernet ports are CAT 5.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

...and?

Homework for the week:-

Look up the meaning of ROM (Don't think it should have fullstops[periods] as it's an acronym, but is this generaly regarded as a style choice.

ROM, as far as I can tell, is data storage that normally can only be read from, not written to, meaning that in mobile storage usage it's generally used to store the OS and firmware where writing is largely unnecessary. Internal storage, on the other hand, can be both read from and written to, and as such is used as the actual storage in the traditional sense of the term. Therefore, to refer to internal storage of any kind as memory, be it RAM or ROM, is technically incorrect.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

Therefore, to refer to internal storage of any kind as memory, be it RAM or ROM, is technically incorrect.

No it isn't.  Stored stuff is in MEMORY.

"This too shall pass"

No it isn't.  Stored stuff is in MEMORY.

Well, not really. Memory implies volatility, meaning that the data is lost when the module loses power, such as in RAM. Storage implies non-volatility, meaning that the drive retains it's data even when powered off. ROM is non volatile, yes, but it is only used on mobile devices to store the base firmware which only needs to be read from, as ROM is "Read-Only". Therefore, the way I see it, the actual storage used to write and read to on computers and mobile devices is storage rather than memory, because the data is kept even when power is lost, making it non-volatile and as such storage and not memory.

(Forgive me if I sound rude, that's not my intention.)

Memory implies volatility,

Not in this reality.

Educate yourself ThinkWi... ALL storage is memory

"This too shall pass"

Not in this reality.

Educate yourself ThinkWi... ALL storage is memory

Memory, as a general rule, is volatile and storage is not. There are non-volatile forms of memory, such as ROM, but this can only be read from and as such does not really function as a viable source of primary storage.

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/63352/storage-vs-memory

Never mind, I can see this is going nowhere. I'll leave now.

Well, not really. Memory implies volatility, meaning that the data is lost when the module loses power, such as in RAM. Storage implies non-volatility, meaning that the drive retains it's data even when powered off. ROM is non volatile, yes, but it is only used on mobile devices to store the base firmware which only needs to be read from, as ROM is "Read-Only". Therefore, the way I see it, the actual storage used to write and read to on computers and mobile devices is storage rather than memory, because the data is kept even when power is lost, making it non-volatile and as such storage and not memory.

No. It's perfectly fine to use the terms storage and memory interchangably. (Although it may confuse some people, like you.) In computer science RAM and processor cache are commonly referred to as primary storage and at the same time memory architecture includes "storage" like HDDs and SSDs.

RAM specifies only how the data is accessed, it is correct to call a SSD RAM. If it was volatile by definition, how could NVRAM exist?

As you said, it's "the way you see it" ...

While general consumers are usually refering to RAM when talking about memory, any type of storage is actually memory.

I would refer you to chapter 6(Memory Hierarchy) of "Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective" (you can find the text in chapter 6 for free on Google). It clearly describes memory in a computer.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

No. It's perfectly fine to use the terms storage and memory interchangably. In computer science RAM and processor cache are commonly referred to as primary storage and at the same time memory architecture includes "storage" like HDDs and SSDs.

RAM specifies only how the data is accessed, it is correct to call a SSD RAM. If it was volatile by definition, how could NVRAM exist?

Ok then, I submit. I personally find it incorrect to refer to them interchangably, but the common opinion seems to be otherwise. I'm sorry. Can we resolve this please and just co-exist. Please?

I have brought shame upon Linus and GabeN, and I truly repent. Isn't it appropriate this is posted in this thread? I'm being such an idiot. Apologies  :(

Ok then, I submit. I personally find it incorrect to refer to them interchangably, but the common opinion seems to be otherwise. I'm sorry. Can we resolve this please and just co-exist. Please?

I have brought shame upon Linus and GabeN, and I truly repent. Isn't it appropriate this is posted in this thread? I'm being such an idiot. Apologies  sad.png

No need to feel bad, we all learn something new every day. I agree that it is odd to use memory in this case, but odd doesn't equal incorrect, there are plenty ways in our language to say something in an odd, but correct way.

No need to feel bad, we all learn something new every day. I agree that it is odd to use memory in this case, but odd doesn't equal incorrect, there are plenty ways in our language to say something in an odd, but correct way.

Thank you, I can't help but feel dumb. But you learn something new every day, and I guess today is to word my thoughts correctly :)