Experiences with non-techies

Well in my case, I use to be quite tech stupid. I use to think that if you hard a big Hard drive it meant your computer was really fast. I also use to think the reason that my pc would slow down was because adobe flash player wasn't up to date. However i was twelve to thirteen so yeah.

But I guess my non-tech savy moment from someone else is the time my brother tried to shot my dreams down, and told me that building a pc yourself is a waste of time and money. That I'd be better off buying one from walmart or bestbuy, and they'd work just as good as any one you could build.

But I guess my non-tech savy moment from someone else is the time my brother tried to shot my dreams down, and told me that building a pc yourself is a waste of time and money. That I'd be better off buying one from walmart or bestbuy, and they'd work just as good as any one you could build.

He was right(ish)

For a low end (£300~£600.  Basic office functions, YouTube, That sort of thing) a Dell or HP et al is probably most cost effective but for a high end/gaming rig build it yourself is the way to go.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Heh, I'm doing a load of job searching stuff and also applied to study a 1 year computer programming course (still waiting to hear back).

I had a course with the recruitment agency I'm getting help from yesterday, and it was a type of confidence building and selling yourself thing. So we were asked to name things we are good at and I went all geek mode and started mentioning building PCs, awesome IT skills, and looking forward to starting a computer course!

The person teaching the course just looked bewildered and replied with 'Wow, I don't even know what most of that stuff even means!', and then went on to say:

'That reminds me that one of daughters has gone on to do a really fancy Computer Coding degree', again with silly perplexed looks all over her face. Comedian.

Linus is my fetish.

Hey man, come here, I gotta tell you something really important:

<Loud-Whisper>THEY'RE FUCKING DUMBASSES, AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING!</Loud-Whisper>

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Old story but growing up with my grandmother who thought if I plugged a computer into the house it would burn the house down

Well, if you got a very shitty power supply, that might actually happen.

Well, if you got a very shitty power supply, that might actually happen.

I'm looking at you, chinese knockoff piece of shit!

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

OMG 850w PSU for only £15!!!!!!!

BARGAIN, BUY IT NOW!

Those sparks are to make your badass gaming rig LOOK MORE BADASS SO YOU CAN PWN NOOBS WHILE SHOWING OFF

At my school they have really old computers, some HP some Dell, and they take like 10 minutes to boot and the teachers complain why we haven't started our work yet. Also when the systems boot I open task manager and see the CPU usage at 100%. The hard drives are so filled up that ScriptLogic can't even run. They expect us to do video editing with 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a Core 2 Duo.

*facepalm*

What do you have to use for video editing?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

Once when I was playing WoT one enemy player asked how much fps we are playing at, I told him - more than 60(1366x768, medium), he then asked me what are the specs of my pc, I wrote FX-4170 4.2ghz and gpu and other...

He then replies that 4.2ghz cpu doesn't exist xD. I told him to google it, I doubt he did but it's his choice.

P.S: I am going through the whole thread, currently at p.383

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

~builds comp for mom~ mom: Computer is broken, panel is off.... (jon): let me look mom..... looks fine to me.....let me put it on....~mom~ dont touch it its fine.... im telling u its broken...(jon):  there, the side panel is fine.... nothing is broken.  no prob"  ~mom~ oh, well, to would be easier to clean and stay cooler with the panel off... (facepalm....)

~builds comp for mom~ mom: Computer is broken, panel is off.... (jon): let me look mom..... looks fine to me.....let me put it on....~mom~ dont touch it its fine.... im telling u its broken...(jon):  there, the side panel is fine.... nothing is broken.  no prob"  ~mom~ oh, well, to would be easier to clean and stay cooler with the panel off... (facepalm....)

Id say your mom knows too much! She realizes that keeping the side panel off results in a cooler PC, and it does make the innards easier to access for wiping.

I strongly suggest that you get one of those MIB brain wiping flashy things and flashy wipe your moms brain clear of such knowledge.

Linus is my fetish.

one day, I got a computer that wasn't working, I pooped it open, and it had no cpu. I asked the client and she said, "the internet told me to get rid of it. Its an unnecessary component right?"

I wish I could believe this.

Linus is my fetish.

i was working on watercooling my cpu today and my dad thought it was unnecisary :(

I'm trying to explain to this 11 year old on youtube that his 400w power supply, that he got for like $20, is shit and that he should get rid of it before it fucks up his entire system. http://www.amazon.com/LPM2-20-P4-0950-3426-0950-3623-0950-3751-0950-3961/dp/B001G42MLE

Brad and Sheryl are noobs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B001G42MLE/R30MPZ3MFN78OZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_aw_rw2?cursor=2&sort=rd

Linus is my fetish.

That product name...

giphy.gif

YOLO

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Well, if you memorize the full name of that PSU, and shift a load of the sections around for protection against copy pasting, voila - impenetrable password.

Linus is my fetish.

I'm trying to explain to this 11 year old on youtube that his 400w power supply, that he got for like $20, is shit and that he should get rid of it before it fucks up his entire system. http://www.amazon.com/LPM2-20-P4-0950-3426-0950-3623-0950-3751-0950-3961/dp/B001G42MLE

Reminds me of the 230W I salvaged from an old Dell Optiplex...Tell him lower is better and that I could hook him up ;) JK xD

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

And also...there's no GPU Connector? Looks like this was meant for an onboard graphics motherboard...

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

V2 engines are usually put on motorcycles and really really light cars...

Maybe a better example would be a V8 and a straight 3-cylinder. Something like a small Toyota

@ original thread topic

My parents who never let the antivirus update and think their good to go! Then I come home and fine a billion viruses to remove without formatting :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks!

Chris R.