Experiences with non-techies

I don't know if he forced it. But some pins were bent.

If only these people knew about PCPartpicker. That website literally does everything to tell you about compatibility issues.

Edit: Or just reading the info on the CPU and motherboard packaging

Someone from college bought his parts, within an 1 of receiving the items hour he asks why his CPU won't go in the socket. He got an FX-8350 with a Z97 Gaming 5 from MSI. 

I face palmed really hard.. 

I usually don't understand why people think building a PC is hard (it's literally putting the thing in the thing where it fits) but then I remember that these people exist.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I don't even know if you can straighten out motherboard pins.

You can... @zappian did it, for an example...

If only these people knew about PCPartpicker.-snip-

I remember my first time on PCPartPicker... I thought there where like 5-6 processors... Turns out the're more... (I was half-techie at that time)

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I usually don't understand why people think building a PC is hard (it's literally putting the thing in the thing where it fits) but then I remember that these people exist.

Its all good, people need to learn.

But, you would think people would do at least a little research before hand. 

Sheep aren't inteligent though, they are herd animals, to their thinking the rest of the flock is running that way they must know something I will run that direction too even if it takes me closer to the danger.

Lemmings do NOT commit mass suicide :- In the Disney film (White Wilderness) they had to force them  to go in one direction.

Whilst migrating they will attempt to cross a water course if that Water Course is wide they will get exhausted and drown but they do NOT commit suicide

well i saw lemmings IRL back in Arizona and they pretty much killed themselves alot. xD 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

A friend just told me that someone said this to him: "the os is what determines gaming performance in PC" That is word for word. No joke. 

This question on yahoo answer doe...

My answer is in yellow.

2dbos54.png

This gave me an idea. Maybe I should make a website called downloadmorebluetooth.com.

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;

So I was working at a winter market and when it ended I was incharge getting all of the devices checked in and counted for, and on the check in sheet for the tower it said cpu, and by the end of it I got used to calling it that so the other people would know what I was talking about

I work in the electronic department of a retail store and I can't tell you how many people try to treat us like a repair shop or think we're like the apple genius bar, but for all things. We try to help when possible and thankfully a few of us are decently equipped to give real tech advice (beyond what you'd expect from your average retail chain) or refer people to those that are more prepared to do so.

I've closed so many tabs for people I can't fathom it.

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

well i saw lemmings IRL back in Arizona and they pretty much killed themselves alot. xD 

Were they actually commiting suicide or were they 'letting; other things kill them as they are pretty stupid?

"Falling off this cliff won't hurrrrtttttt, ."

"This fire wont be hot., herp derp"

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I have something that is a epidemic in my thread for my 970 Owners club which is people are flashing my bios directly onto their card even though you are supposed to copy my bios into your stock bios since most bios's have different settings behind the scenes depending if its Hynix or Samsung.

So basically people are flashing samsung bios's onto their hynix cards because they aren't reading. which can cause death of the card or a brick.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

It looks intimidating at first, but I think the real hard parts are learning what goes where, and planning the specs so that the build makes sense and making sure that it'll all work together

If only these people knew about PCPartpicker. That website literally does everything to tell you about compatibility issues.

Edit: Or just reading the info on the CPU and motherboard packaging

Tru, but sometimes PCPartpicker doesn't work all the time. And it takes more than making sure the socket types are the same before knowing that you have a compatible rig

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

It looks intimidating at first, but I think the real hard parts are learning what goes where, and planning the specs so that the build makes sense and making sure that it'll all work together

Tru, but sometimes PCPartpicker doesn't work all the time. And it takes more than making sure the socket types are the same before knowing that you have a compatible rig

You forget the false errors as well.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Hey strm don't mind me I'm just gonna post some Yahoo Answers stupidity.

AWHIB8v.png

83WdMAn.png

NKeI4Fm.png

Those are actually pretty valid questions.  And I actually thumbs up the first person, its better to ask than just go and do it.  They may not be techie but at least they had the wisdom to ask before going ahead with it.  

And the two last ones are simply people who don't know as much as you and me.  And I find it awesome they are asking than just trying and screwing up. 

I work in the electronic department of a retail store and I can't tell you how many people try to treat us like a repair shop or think we're like the apple genius bar, but for all things. We try to help when possible and thankfully a few of us are decently equipped to give real tech advice (beyond what you'd expect from your average retail chain) or refer people to those that are more prepared to do so.

I've closed so many tabs for people I can't fathom it.

Still, use that ability.  Help people, even if you don't get credit for it the people will be grateful and believe me that experience and work motivation gets really valuable higher up.  

And the more you help people the more people will help you.  

So, still.  Use the opportunity and be an awesome and unstoppable mofo :D 

If I could just do that for my PC, I'd have no PC!

Some mom wanted to buy a flashdrive while I was looking for a mouse. The shopkeeper was techsavvy, so he recommended sandisk cause it's fast (usb 3.0), cheap, and robust. It had a keychain hook that was big enough and strong enough to not break and still fit into your small jeans pocket. She still insisted on an HP flashdrive that was thinner yet flimsier at the same price but getting usb 2 instead of usb 3. 

I had a part-time job during college working at Radioshack. Some of the people that would come in and ask questions would make me want to gouge my own eyes out. Retail ruined my attitude towards people. An example:

Me: "Welcome to Radioshack! How can we help you today?"

Customer: "Hi yes my son says I need a cord for my TV."

Me: "Of course! What kind of cord do you need?"

Customer: "I think I need one of dem H - M - D - 1 cords for my 1980's VCR."

Me: *dies internally*

Bonus story:

Me: "Welcome to Radioshack! How can we help you today?"

Customer: "I need a power adapter for my ______________"               (AC-DC converter)

Me: " What voltage do you need? Also, what size plug do you need?"

Customer: "Uh I don't know, aren't you supposed to know these things?"

Me: *dies even more internally"

(For those of you who don't know, we sell several different power adapters with over 20 tip sizes, leading to hundreds if not thousands of possible combinations)

Taking to my coworker about what his opinion towards windows 10, he games allot and built his own PC so I am looking forward to having a intelligent conversation. He started to ramble on about how every new windows upgrade is a money grab and they change nothing except the looks, then goes on about windows is abusing there monopoly of the market and if another company made a operating system windows would have to drop the cost down to 10$ to compete and they would still make a profit if they did that.

I facepalmed so hard.

H - M - D - 1 cords

I've had people say HDMI first and then "correct" themselves to HMDI or whatever. It crushed me more than it should have.

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

Working as High school IT support - kid comes up to me for help.

Me: Hi, what do you need?

Kid: I need to connect my Macbook to the projector in a room can you help?

Me: What seems to be the problem? Is it plugged in yet?

Kid: The teacher said I need an adapter...

Me: Ah ok, do you know what kind?

Kid: Yes its a HDMI to windows port thing adapter.

Me: ._.

Kid: *points to a VGA port on my PC*

Me: .___.

Taking to my coworker about what his opinion towards windows 10, he games allot and built his own PC so I am looking forward to having a intelligent conversation. He started to ramble on about how every new windows upgrade is a money grab and they change nothing except the looks, then goes on about windows is abusing there monopoly of the market and if another company made a operating system windows would have to drop the cost down to 10$ to compete and they would still make a profit if they did that.

I facepalmed so hard.

"if another company made an operating system" wow. Just wow. I can name at least 5 companies who make and support their own operating system (or distribution/own build of an operating system) and on top of that there's 100s more organisations who have custom OSes.

"if another company made an operating system" wow. Just wow. I can name at least 5 companies who make and support their own operating system (or distribution/own build of an operating system) and on top of that there's 100s more organisations who have custom OSes.

When I told him I was going to crossfire 2 graphics cards he said he tried SLI once with 2 gtx 680's and said it was so bad he sold his second 680 and running one didn't change performance, asked him what games he plays, turns out all of them don't support dual cards.

Makes me cry.

I am buying an 850 EVO, and of course since I can't buy it myself (and don't have amazon prime.)

I go to my mom who has a credit card and amazon prime. So she looks at what I want, and reads it. instead of asking me no questions asked, will u pay for it, she wants to know what it is. It took about 20 minutes to explain reads and writes, improved iops to my wd black etc... Then she asks u already have a drive... *facepalm* so then I finally order it!!!!

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(