Experiences with non-techies

Desktop: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC | RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W | Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | SSD: XPG M2 SX8200 Pro 512GB | SSD 2: Crucial MX500 500GB | Microphone: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: Corsair HS70 Wireless | Soundcard: Maya U5 5.1 | Speakers: Genius SP-HF1800A | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10

Secondary Desktop:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k @stock | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) | RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix | PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W | Case: SilentiumPC Aquaris X70W | HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | SSD : Corsair Force LS 240GB

ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550VD:

CPU: i5-7300HQ | RAM: 8GB DDR4, 2400MHz | GPU: GTX 1050 + Intel HD Graphics 630 | Storage: 512GB M.2 SSD 

Before I bought prebuilt desktops (I know, I was stupid) I had an HP Pavilion dv6615ea. Couldn't even do HL2 with that iGPU.

I have a pentium D (basicly) machine with a HD 5770. I know what you mean right now...

So I tried to actually be helpful on Today on Yahoo Answers 

van_videos.png

I guess I'm tired of people not using google to find answers like these first as most laptops do not have upgradeable components...

My laptop has a replacable CPU, and it's from 2010.

Serious question here: can scratch really be considered a programming language? I think of it as a coding minigame really. Opinions?

No, not really.

Before I bought prebuilt desktops (I know, I was stupid) I had an HP Pavilion dv6615ea. Couldn't even do HL2 with that iGPU.

The G60 couldn't eek out HL1 at 50 fps on low. It has a celeron. The 6715B has an AMD x64 dual core. That was probably more powerful.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

The G60 couldn't eek out HL1 at 50 fps on low. It has a celeron. The 6715B has an AMD x64 dual core. That was probably more powerful.

Mine had a Pentium DC T2310 (65 nm, Merom).

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Mine had a Pentium DC T2310 (65 nm, Merom).

Merom, Indiana?

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Merom, Indiana?

That's probably what that architecure is named after. It's basically based on the first Core 2 Duos.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

That's probably what that architecure is named after. It's basically based on the first Core 2 Duos.

Probably. It is a very small town, I only know it because that is what came up when I googled it. I'm assuming you have a Core2Quad?

LG G3 Vigor

Let him play at 144hz for 20 mins, then cut it down to 60hz. From what I hear, his eyes will start to bleed and only then will he believe you.

There's a reason why I kinda don't want to try a high refresh-rate monitor...I know I most likely won't be able to afford one (at least one with an IPS panel and in 1440p, which is the next logical upgrade) and having tried 144Hz and then gone back down to 60 would have been such a tease..

In all fairness if they see two different numbers they'll want to question where the 'extra gigabytes' went. I'd blame the counting system the HDD manufacturers use rather than the non-techies in this instance. We use Gibibyte and Gigabyte interchangeably (anything measured in x1024 should be xbibyte and anything measured in x1000 should be x(a/o)byte).

That HDD 1TiB (Tebibyte), not 1TB (Terabyte). I may have got that the wrong way round...my brain doesn't like dealing with multiples.

You got how they make them backwards but you are otherwise correct. Manufacturers measure in terabytes (based off x1000) but due to the limitations of older operating systems (one that was never addressed later on) the os measures in tibibytes (based off x1024 due to the ease of using binary for storage calculations)

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

My stubborn brother thought he knew about tech a while back. So, one day, he wanted me to fix his computer (This was in the days of the P4). I took off the side while he was watching and he tried to name every part in the computer. He mixed the motherboard with the video card, and he had  no idea what the RAM and hard drives were. So he called them transistors. When I tried to correct him on what they were, he refused to take the correction, and for a long time he named the parts completely wrong.

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

So here goes.... In short, this guy is trying to tell me why Mac's are better than PC's and... Well I'll just leave it here... Added some comments in red and some of the dumber bits are made clearly.

i completely disagree...the hardware is just metal and other components...it is far from just a PC.  However, if we were to keep that argument, why don't other PC's last that long?  you mention my technology must be ancient, however, i'm doing everything you can do on your new pc, with my 7 year old mac (I bet he is...)...how is that possible?  and wanna know why no one keeps a PC that long, cause they can't last that long without being completely rehabbed...And mac is a software company...but they are proprietary ..There is only 1 mac..there are hundreds of PC's by all kinds of different companies...That is where i feel all gets lost...Samsung doesnt own Android...Cause HTC has it (This really doesn't strengthen any part of his argument if you ask me), and about 20 others have it...No One has IOS except apple  (While true, keep in mind this is about Macs so that must mean Macs run IOS instead of Mac OS according to this guy)...they do it all...you can be upset about it if you want, but that's the reality...apple competes completely on it's own, agains all other companies (You know... Like most companies) in the same industries...There isn't another company on the planet that can say that (Intel perhaps?)...so you don't have to like apple, but you can't deny the success...Call me a sheep if you want, but i can afford it and i'm gonna continue buying it..you can spend your money on something else..be my guest..  ;-)

not quiet the funniest story, but here I go:

I was building a rig for one of my friends in a nzxt h440, after finishing everything up, it posts perfectly fine and everythings works properly.

The next day he calls me that the h440 logo led was not working. He even asked if he should rma the case.

I told him that before he does it, I would take a look at it. Here comes the embarrassing part: i saw it didn't work (worked the day before) and opened up the case. I followed the cable leading away from the led, only to see that some part of this cable managment seems strange, after some more looking at the cable, i realize that there is a button on the back of the case to turn the led on or off.

I was baffled that i didn't recognize it on the spot. After my discovery, i informed my friend about the button. His excat answer: "oh, that button, that doesn't do anything, yesterday i was curious what it would do if i'd pusch it". Well turns out his computer wasn't even on when he pushed it, and upon starting the rig up, the leds wouldn't work.

I just had to facepalm, at him, not realizing what the button he pushed was for, and at me for taking so long to "fix" the problem, only to find out that there is a button.

CPU: i7 5930k @4.3 GHz, Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe, RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 (2400 MHz), GPU: 2 x Gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming @ 1500 MHz,

Case: Corsair obsidian 750d, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro ssd (512GB) and 3TB WD Black, PSU: Coolermaster v850, Display: Asus Rog swift,                             

Cooling: Coolermaster Nepton 280L, Keyboard: Corsair Vengence K70 RGB (Mx-red), Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Optical, Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR paired with Audioengine A5+ 

-snip-

It's always the little things. When I was building for a friend I setup the MOBO on the box to test if it posts. I temporarily hook it all up touch the pins with a screwdriver, nothing. My heart jumped a bit, I was worried we gonna have to RMA something.... Guess what it was.

Flicking the PSU on would be a wise choice. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

-snippedidu-

that almost always happens to me when first starting a new rig. Also with that build, now that i think about it. It has grown to be the first thing i'll check if absolutly nothing is happening while pushing the button:)

CPU: i7 5930k @4.3 GHz, Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe, RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 (2400 MHz), GPU: 2 x Gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming @ 1500 MHz,

Case: Corsair obsidian 750d, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro ssd (512GB) and 3TB WD Black, PSU: Coolermaster v850, Display: Asus Rog swift,                             

Cooling: Coolermaster Nepton 280L, Keyboard: Corsair Vengence K70 RGB (Mx-red), Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Optical, Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR paired with Audioengine A5+ 

that almost always happens to me when first starting a new rig. Also with that build, now that i think about it. It has grown to be the first thing i'll check if absolutly nothing is happening while pushing the button:)

To be honest I usually double check everything important, if the CPU is seated properly same with RAM etc. So these ''unimportant'' little things just slip off my mind. :)

P.s. -snippedidu- is a good one, one of my favorites so far along with -sniperelite- :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

It's always the little things. When I was building for a friend I setup the MOBO on the box to test if it posts. I temporarily hook it all up touch the pins with a screwdriver, nothing. My heart jumped a bit, I was worried we gonna have to RMA something.... Guess what it was.

Flicking the PSU on would be a wise choice. :D

I forgot to flip the psu switch when I installed a new psu in a friends rig.. He flipped shit and I just casually went to the back, flipped it, hit the power button, and smirked. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I forgot to flip the psu switch when I installed a new psu in a friends rig.. He flipped shit and I just casually went to the back, flipped it, hit the power button, and smirked. :P

You are one cheeky **** m8. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

- ** insert snip here **

Fun thing is, i do this as well. ( on cpu, ram and stuff) but it seems that i always forget to do it with the psu switch.

P.s trying to keep it fresh ;-)

To be honest I usually double check everything important, if the CPU is seated properly same with RAM etc. So these ''unimportant'' little things just slip off my mind. :)

P.s. -snippedidu- is a good one, one of my favorites so far along with -sniperelite- :D

It's always the "unimportant" little things that get forgotten. :P

not quiet the funniest story, but here I go:

I was building a rig for one of my friends in a nzxt h440, after finishing everything up, it posts perfectly fine and everythings works properly.

The next day he calls me that the h440 logo led was not working. He even asked if he should rma the case.

I told him that before he does it, I would take a look at it. Here comes the embarrassing part: i saw it didn't work (worked the day before) and opened up the case. I followed the cable leading away from the led, only to see that some part of this cable managment seems strange, after some more looking at the cable, i realize that there is a button on the back of the case to turn the led on or off.

I was baffled that i didn't recognize it on the spot. After my discovery, i informed my friend about the button. His excat answer: "oh, that button, that doesn't do anything, yesterday i was curious what it would do if i'd pusch it". Well turns out his computer wasn't even on when he pushed it, and upon starting the rig up, the leds wouldn't work.

I just had to facepalm, at him, not realizing what the button he pushed was for, and at me for taking so long to "fix" the problem, only to find out that there is a button.

I'm pretty sure the LED on/off is standard on most NZXT Cases. I had the same thing happen to me when I build in my Phantom.

@Yummy_Rifle_107 @Darkman @jayctech

So we all do that huh ? :D

Yep. :P I swapped out my G1 650W today with a G2 750W since that was killing high end gpus... I eventually forgot about checking for secure connections and remembered last second. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

There's a reason why I kinda don't want to try a high refresh-rate monitor...I know I most likely won't be able to afford one (at least one with an IPS panel and in 1440p, which is the next logical upgrade) and having tried 144Hz and then gone back down to 60 would have been such a tease..

That's my biggest reason for not trying it as well. My next upgrade would be a 1440p 60hz monitor instead of a 144hz. Is kind of put on hold though, as well as is a second 970, as college might just be starting up for me.

I don't do signatures.