Experiences with non-techies

What toxic materials are in my PC

1: Lead in cathode ray tube and solder

There are different types of solder, turns out one actually does have lead in it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder#Lead_solder

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

just a post for all of us

attachicon.gifa7ygBje_460s.jpg

probably the most relevant image for this whole board to all those kids that are getting frustrated over their parent not knowing stuff about computers. Only reason my parents knew about computers and knew how to not mess whit them was because my mother was born just in time for c64 to be a thing when she was finishing her education meaning they taught her how to use it. i was lucky altough they still are pretty tech illitirate but not in the bad way thankfully took me a long time to teach my parents how to not fuck whit my things

How do you? My lennys look like this: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)‎

Oh, I meant making a proper that's what she said joke, I don't care about Lennies..

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Serious question here: can scratch really be considered a programming language? I think of it as a coding minigame really. Opinions?

During the past year for my GCSE's I've had to use Scratch to make a game for my coursework as they had nothing else to give us. It never taught me anything about coding and saw it as one of those games that you make your own games within.

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

just a post for all of us

attachicon.gif_460s.jpg

Same hymn sheet.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

how...

In all fairness if they see two different numbers they'll want to question where the 'extra gigabytes' went. I'd blame the counting system the HDD manufacturers use rather than the non-techies in this instance. We use Gibibyte and Gigabyte interchangeably (anything measured in x1024 should be xbibyte and anything measured in x1000 should be x(a/o)byte).

That HDD 1TiB (Tebibyte), not 1TB (Terabyte). I may have got that the wrong way round...my brain doesn't like dealing with multiples.

There are different types of solder, turns out one actually does have lead in it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder#Lead_solder

Yeah I know but still, cathode ray tubes and mercury switches ? I have Commodore 64G behind me that is about 28 years old and it have normal switches. What kind of antique PC's they recycle ? :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

At school on our Chromebooks (YUCK). I have bookmark folders on the bookmarks bar. WHAT IS SO CONFUSING ABOUT A FOLDER?! They all look at me like I am haxoring the Chromebook. 

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Trying to access internet via prepaid internet card without actually having a lan card installed (the year was 2004, not all motherboards had a built-in lan).

So I tried to actually be helpful on Today on Yahoo Answers 

van_videos.png

I guess I'm tired of people not using google to find answers like these first as most laptops do not have upgradeable components...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

van_videos.png

I guess I'm tired of people not using google to find answers like these first as most laptops do not have upgradeable components...

I can actually upgrade the processor on my laptop, and its sandy bridge, so not really all that old.

So a friend of mine recently went to the school IT technician and asked if he had some spare computer parts. Lo and behold, there's a bunch of spares from the old school, so he takes a number of parts (motherboard, some sticks of ram etc.) and decides to take it all apart at home. Now bear in mind, this guy is doing art as an A level, and his intention is to cut up the components to make it into the shape of a map. He then wonders, whilst taking it apart, why things like the capacitors and such won't just come off, believing they were put on the motherboard in slots, and therefore should just pop off without any force being required. Oh, and he didn't think that the MoBo would be difficult to cut, and wondered why it wasn't just tearing like paper and when he applied pressure, the thing practically shattered on him.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I can actually upgrade the processor on my laptop, and its sandy bridge, so not really all that old.

Most cannot though. With laptops getting thinner and thinner, most of the components are soldered on. Usually, if you want to upgrade the processor in a laptop it's time to get a new laptop.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

A friend asked if he needed a 2nd graphics card to run a 2nd monitor... I told him that graphics cards could usually handle 4-6 monitors...

It's still hard to explain that playing with ridiculous high FPS on a 60Hz monitor makes no sense... They also say they do notice the difference... I need to put them in front of a 144Hz monitor...

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

So a friend of mine recently went to the school IT technician and asked if he had some spare computer parts. Lo and behold, there's a bunch of spares from the old school, so he takes a number of parts (motherboard, some sticks of ram etc.) and decides to take it all apart at home. Now bear in mind, this guy is doing art as an A level, and his intention is to cut up the components to make it into the shape of a map. He then wonders, whilst taking it apart, why things like the capacitors and such won't just come off, believing they were put on the motherboard in slots, and therefore should just pop off without any force being required. Oh, and he didn't think that the MoBo would be difficult to cut, and wondered why it wasn't just tearing like paper and when he applied pressure, the thing practically shattered on him.

He confused silicon with silicone maybe :P? Yeah, MoBo's aren't made from jelly.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

He confused silicon with silicone maybe :P? Yeah, MoBo's aren't made from jelly.

This guy has about as much common sense as a 5 year old being offered candy, so I'm not surprised at all.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

-le comic sans snip because too lazy to change font-

Actually, any laptop that isn't classified as ultraportable, subnotebook or netbook has upgradeable components. And believe it or not, the most hated laptop manufacturer on this forum (Apple HP) is makes easily upgradeable business-grade laptops. And, if you're brave enough and are sure that the CPU isn't soldered in, you can swap the CPU of a laptop.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Most cannot though. With laptops getting thinner and thinner, most of the components are soldered on. Usually, if you want to upgrade the processor in a laptop it's time to get a new laptop.

Call me crazy, but I actually plan on upgrading the CPU of a laptop. And not on my own laptop. And it's a laptop that should not get broken.

Call me crazy, but I actually plan on upgrading the CPU of a laptop. And not on my own laptop. And it's a laptop that should not get broken.

Good luck m9

It's still hard to explain that playing with ridiculous high FPS on a 60Hz monitor makes no sense... They also say they do notice the difference... I need to put them in front of a 144Hz monitor...

Let him play at 144hz for 20 mins, then cut it down to 60hz. From what I hear, his eyes will start to bleed and only then will he believe you.

I don't do signatures.

Well I used to have an eMachine, my parents bought it for me for my birthday so I would finally have a computer to use. It was absurdly slow, and had terrible integrated graphics (God help me.) and a few years after I've had the computer I told my parents I really needed a new computer that could process my games faster and could actually play them. They tried to tell me that if I would delete a bunch of, as they said, "Shit." I could run the games better. So I tried to tell them that's not how it works, but they argued with me. Poor souls. And still to this day they complain on how I've wasted my time and money on my computer.

So my mom comes to best buy to buy a camera and I get to go look at the gaming periferal and gpu section and a BEST BUY EMPLOYEE comes up to me while I'm looking at the razor blackwidow chroma and k70 rgb and asks, "is this a good gaming keyboard" I spent the next 5 minutes discussing the specs of both, switch type, variations (k65 k95, blackwidow TE) etc.

Well I used to have an eMachine, my parents bought it for me for my birthday so I would finally have a computer to use. It was absurdly slow, and had terrible integrated graphics (God help me.) and a few years after I've had the computer I told my parents I really needed a new computer that could process my games faster and could actually play them. They tried to tell me that if I would delete a bunch of, as they said, "Shit." I could run the games better. So I tried to tell them that's not how it works, but they argued with me. Poor souls. And still to this day they complain on how I've wasted my time and money on my computer.

I used to have a HP G60 and a HP Compaq 6715B. I feel your pain. Both are now over 6 years old, and have a horrible performance in games.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I used to have a HP G60 and a HP Compaq 6715B. I feel your pain. Both are now over 6 years old, and have a horrible performance in games.

Before I bought prebuilt desktops (I know, I was stupid) I had an HP Pavilion dv6615ea. Couldn't even do HL2 with that iGPU.