Experiences with non-techies

One time my grandma complained that her computer was slow. So I ran Malwarebytes. IT FOUND 115 VIRUSES!!!!

My aunty has an old p4 dell dimension(she says she built it, i just couldnt be bothered to argue at the time). Over the last years she hasnt had a antivirus, since 2006. I ran malwarebytes and it detected 709 viruses, that is crazy

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

My aunty has an old p4 dell dimension(she says she built it, i just couldnt be bothered to argue at the time). Over the last years she hasnt had a antivirus, since 2006. I ran malwarebytes and it detected 709 viruses, that is crazy

How does a pc even work at that point?

My mom's husband has this ancient laptop, it takes 30 minutes to start up. When I found out about it I asked him if he wanted me to take a look at it to see why it's so slow and he said no. I say ok and don't push the issue but he goes on to say how "it's no big deal, it's time for me to take it in for a tune up anyways" I ask him exactly how often he "takes it in for a tuneup" and he says that you're supposed to do it with every computer once a month and that If I want to make sure my desktop and laptop works like it should I should take it to this shop he goes to for his "pc tuneup's". Basically a guy at this shop has convinced him that if he doesn't bring it once a month and have it "tuned up" for $85 that it will stop working completely. I actually went to this shop and it's filled with dozens of Dell Optiplex's with pretty much the exact same specs but for wildly different prices ranging from $120-$1000.

1.jpg

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

My mom's husband has this ancient laptop, it takes 30 minutes to start up. When I found out about it I asked him if he wanted me to take a look at it to see why it's so slow and he said no. I say ok and don't push the issue but he goes on to say how "it's no big deal, it's time for me to take it in for a tune up anyways" I ask him exactly how often he "takes it in for a tuneup" and he says that you're supposed to do it with every computer once a month and that If I want to make sure my desktop and laptop works like it should I should take it to this shop he goes to for his "pc tuneup's". Basically a guy at this shop has convinced him that if he doesn't bring it once a month and have it "tuned up" for $85 that it will stop working completely. I actually went to this shop and it's filled with dozens of Dell Optiplex's with pretty much the exact same specs but for wildly different prices ranging from $120-$1000.

1.jpg

How is this a laptop?  :huh:

How is this a laptop?  :huh:

It isn't it's a picture of what that shop was trying to sell for $1000

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

1.jpg

dimension-8400-case.jpg

It was on its last legs, i transferred the pictures left on the pc and then i thought it had to die so i told my aunty and we both started killing it via sledge hammer.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

dimension-8400-case.jpg

It was on its last legs, i transferred the pictures left on the pc and then i thought it had to die so i told my aunty and we both started killing it via sledge hammer.

Good god that is creepy, just last week I tore apart a 10 year old pc with that case O.o

My mom's husband? :o

yes, he's a dick and I refuse to acknowledge him as family

Good god that is creepy, just last week I tore apart a 10 year old pc with that case O.o

wierd i did that just last month

It tastes like pixelization

tastes consoles

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

a wild Dell appears. Smashes with Hammer. it fainted. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I also work as an unpaid IT Intern at my High School, so I'm not even going to start on the stuff that I see there. 

Please do.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

My sister had an old Compaq laptop. She always left it on under her bed sheets, even though i told her not too. One day it stopped working and I told her it overheated. She didn't believe me so I opened it up and the battery cover was melted. 

My supervisor at work calling the PC "CPU".

I had a teacher last year and she was talking about computers, I told her that I build one and then she told me that she always buys new computers on ebay, and she tells her husband to upgrade the RAM, I asked her "why?" and she said "to make the computer faster, and when I can't add more RAM I just sell it and buy a better one." What a waste of money, I didn't explained her that RAM doesn't make a PC faster by adding more, because I'm sure she was going to ignore me anyway. She just uses the PC for browsing and using Microsoft Office.

i remember my  one year ago i thought if ill stick another ram stick in my pc i would be able to play all the latest games and damn i was wrong

but it does make pc faster in a way ... if ur multi tasking or compressing or uncompressing stuff

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

I volunteered to help out at a school dance for an elementary school. Man was it crazy, little kids running around in the dark. The worst part was, there was this one guy who decided that his iPhone could become a strobe light by getting one of those apps that makes the flash turn on and off really quick. He just stood in the middle of the dance floor for like 25 minutes simply holding his iPhone high in the air. I facepalmed so hard, good thing it was dark in there and no one saw xD

my friend scans every file after downloading it and i am like i have downloaded it from a trusted source also ur antivirus will tell u if it s a virus when ull run it but he wont believe me at all

also his cpu is running on 88 C and gpu on 60 C he wont let me change thermal paste and keeps on saying my pc sucks ... always having BSOD windows suck !

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

my friend scans every file after downloading it and i am like i have downloaded it from a trusted source also ur antivirus will tell u if it s a virus when ull run it but he wont believe me at all

That reminds me of my friend, his dad is so overcautious about viruses he won't let him download any games, unless they're from the actual website of the developer (So no steam)

And if it gets through that, it still has to go a really long filescan from Norton...

My friend got himself an h100 so he can over clock his i3

what’s wrong in it i don’t get it

one of my friend bought a 300 W psu cause a shop keeper told him it is the best psu for gpu ....

and a 32 bit cpu cause he does not care about 64 bit ...

now he wants to upgrade ram from 4 gb to 8 gb 

and hook himself with a gpu ....

It's an i3.

It's an i3.

yeah but some people still over clock it

you don't OC an i3

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

one of my friend bought a 300 W psu cause a shop keeper told him it is the best psu for gpu ....

and a 32 bit cpu cause he does not care about 64 bit ...

now he wants to upgrade ram from 4 gb to 8 gb

and hook himself with a gpu ....

what is a 32bit cpu?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

what is a 32bit cpu?

x32 based processor's

you don't OC an i3

why not what’s wrong with having some fun ?

why not what’s wrong with having some fun ?

you buy an AIO to cool an i3. why? you must be rich to waste money like that.