Experiences with non-techies

My sister bought a blackberry when i told her it would be boring and slow after a week or 2. Guess what happened next..... Yep 2 weeks later back to the sony xperia 8 which happens to be faster. Lol. She will learn one day. My mum listened to me and got a s3 mini and she loves it. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Wow, i thought i had no stories to contribute with but they just keep coming to me. One day i was hosting a little party for the people i'd been working with during the the summer of 2012. We did a tour of my house and eventually ended up in my room. My setup includes one 23" widescreen monitor and a 4:3 19" monitor. one of the girl pointed at my two monitors and was like "Why do you have two computers?"

Paintball, my anti-drug. Because when you play paintball, how could you possibly afford drugs?!?

Walking back to my dorm the other day I heard some random girl say

"iOS7 is SO different, like overwhelmingly different, like I couldn't figure out how to answer a phone call."

Come on.  Are normal people really incapable of adjusting to a UI change?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

"iOS7 is SO different, like overwhelmingly different, like I couldn't figure out how to answer a phone call."

Think of the shitstorm that ensues after Youtube changes thier layout  :lol:

Paintball, my anti-drug. Because when you play paintball, how could you possibly afford drugs?!?

I just hate all the chatter about all this stupid iOS 7 in my school, it's all everyone talks about now. If I had it my way, everyone would be talking about actual desktop pcs.....

All Apple did pretty much was change the interface a little and BOOM it's a whole new thing to talk, brag and chat about.

for my job I am a product tester so i test laptops and desktops that are returned and for 50% of the macbooks/macbook airs that get returned the reason says "Screen keeps going black" People don't realize that its going into sleep mode and they return the unit thinking its defective **FacePalm**

It's because half the people who buy macbooks don't know how to use a computer in general.

I had a teacher in one of my classes who had her macbook enable sleep mode after 30 seconds of idling (no joke)

This was while she was using it on the projector, and she wanted us to copy notes. But every 30 seconds the computer would lock and she would have to unlock it again.....

Not the most annoying thing in the world, but seriously, who has their sleep mode timer set for 30 seconds?

It was a cat being a attacked by its leg, a cat turning its head or a cat going under a table. Whats wrong with changing my profile pic. Im most likely gonna change it again.

I spent 2 hours in total on this forum staring at your avatar

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

I spent 2 hours in total on this forum staring at your avatar

That definitely was the best one ive ever used but I am just too tempted to change it every five seconds. I didnt know if anyone liked it or if they could see what was happening d

in the small box.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

That definitely was the best one ive ever used but I am just too tempted to change it every five seconds. I didnt know if anyone liked it or if they could see what was happening d

in the small box.

That avatar is the best of the best of the best most stupid avatars. Seriously, how stupid could a creature be to fight his own leg?

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

Yesterday, my fathers cousin brought me his Toshiba notebook. Motherboard fried. Told him to call Toshiba, give them your model number, and ask them how much for a new board. Told him if it's not too much, get it, and i'd install it for him.

Goes home and calls me. "what kind of motherboard should i ask them for?"

To which i reply "the one for your notebook" :rolleyes:

My teacher: omg, this stupid projector wont show anything!

Me: Turn off than turn on the projector

My teacher: It wont turn off!

Me: You need to press the power button twice.

I always have to enter my WiFi password... even for people in my family...

I hope you know it off by heart. I know I know mine better than I know my bank details.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I remember once being at a retail store for a simple thing, it was to pick up a cheap mouse to hold me over since my other one died on me. Don't remember if this happened at a Wal-mart electronics section or Best Buy, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is the lack of knowledge these sales reps tend to have. There I was, looking at various peripherals and suddenly I overhear a sales rep talk to a customer about a computer she should buy. Both of them was such obvious non-techies that was it beginning to give me a headache. While the guy slinks away, I tell that woman the sales rep hasn't a single clue what he was talking about and helped her picked out a machine that suited her needs and not what some idiot was trying to push on her.

You sir, are restoring faith in humanity, one idiot at a time.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

That avatar is the best of the best of the best most stupid avatars. Seriously, how stupid could a creature be to fight his own leg?

Catnip is like a painkiller for cats, the down side is that it causes malfunctions for motor neurons so their limbs will sometimes spaz out uncontrollably.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Teachers saying to never use "Save" but only "Save As" because save doesn't work apparently. 

I guess they can't grasp the concept that Save saves the file where it was last save and only asks for a directory the first time. They think because it doesn't ask for a directory it doesn't work. You have no idea how many times I had to try and explain how the Save button of all things works... *facepalm*

I never used the save as button in school I swear.

As you know you don't even have to use "Save As" ever since the program will ask you where to save if you press "Save" and haven't chosen a file path.  :D

My mom, who is all right with computers, told me the other day that her work will be upgrading to Windows 8 come 2014. She told me that the general thought/opinion on the subject at work was "Windows 8 doesn't have the start button, but luckily it's coming back." (In 8.1 as you all know). I face palmed a bit, imagine the horror when these non tech savvy employees try to press their precious start buttons.  <_< Coming back my arse, it makes close to no difference if it's there or not... And of course they will all hate it because they have no idea what they are talking about and have no interest in trying to figure out how they best use it.

I have fantasized a bit about holding a presentation for these poor people when the upgrade is made on how to operate their W8 pc's and why it looks the way it does.  :P

As you know you don't even have to use "Save As" ever since the program will ask you where to save if you press "Save" and haven't chosen a file path.  :D

My mom, who is all right with computers, told me the other day that her work will be upgrading to Windows 8 come 2014 (I believe). She told me that the general thought/opinion on the subject at work was "Windows 8 doesn't have the start button, but luckily it's coming back." (In 8.1 as you all know). I face palmed a bit, imagine the horror when these non tech savvy employees try to press their precious start buttons.  <_< Coming back my arse, it makes close to no difference if it's there or not... And of course they will all hate it because they have no idea what they are talking about and have no interest in trying to figure out how they best use it.

I have fantasized a bit about holding a presentation for these poor people when the upgrade is made on how to operate their W8 pc's and why it looks the way it does.  :P

Or just install classic start or start is back. (I can't remember the exact one that Logan recommends so much)

Catnip is like a painkiller for cats, the down side is that it causes malfunctions for motor neurons so their limbs will sometimes spaz out uncontrollably.

So catnip is like a drug for cats? That's horrible...

Or just install classic start or start is back. (I can't remember the exact one that Logan recommends so much)

I see where you are coming from but I would personally never advise anyone to do that. Then rather just keep using Windows 7 as the security enhancements and what not in Windows 8 won't matter to the regular user.

Not that we are going to have a huge debate on Windows 8 here, but I personally see the design in Windows 8 as a huge improvement with a lot of nice functionality and it would be my mission to enlighten these non-tech savvy employees.  ;)

About a week ago, my mother thought that I could use a leftover SIM-card that we're paying for but it's not in use, to be used in my tablet so I could go to internet wherever I need to. Otherwise a good idea, but the tablet (Acer Iconia W510) doesn't have any SIM-card slots. Then my mother told me to disassemble that tablet and try to stick that SIM-card in there somewhere... I obviously responded negatively (+600€ tablet and it's not even mine, but for me to use in high school by the same high school) and then she told me to contact my other tech-savvy relative to get the SIM-card in that tablet if I'm incapable of disassembling it and re-assembling it. Once again, I responded negatively and tried to tell her that you just can't put a SIM-card inside the tablet if it doesn't have any SIM-card slots and that trying to disassemble a +600€ tablet would be a rather mindless idea. She still won't believe me.

Another thing related to the tablets my ''class'' can use in high school: two days ago we had to show some powerpoint presentations to our class. The teachers thought that we could link our tablets directly to the projector with an HDMI-cable. They ordered few full-size HDMI cables, and they didn't remember the tablets have only mini-HDMI. Also the projector only has two VGA ports and there's no adapters anywhere in the high school building...

And yet another thing related to the Acer Iconia W510 tablets our class can use: two days ago (again) one girl randomly asked me to figure out how to disable camera flash (it's on by default). There's a very visible button in the touch screen when the camera is in use that's pretty hard to miss. And she didn't knew what it does... So out of all classmates it's me that has to solve small tech related problems that about half of our class can solve? I guess I'm again the 24/7 free tech support for my classmates (back in junior high school I had the same role).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Also the projector only has two VGA ports and there's no adapters anywhere in the high school building...

School's buy the cheapest projectors since they have to buy one for each classroom. They don't care about resolution.

Found these on A failbook site xD

qzsN7hE.png

21SGrym.png

School's buy the cheapest projectors since they have to buy one for each classroom. They don't care about resolution.

Yet my school has 150 Macbook pros and over 200 iMacs with 720p projectors and smartboards

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Yet my school has 150 Macbook pros and over 200 iMacs with 720p projectors and smartboards

*most schools... some are wacko spenders too.

I got a good one. I kid in his early teens comes to me all water eyed saying his new msi 7870 twin frozr isnt working. he says that the fans go crazy when he turns it on. His parents think its a virus and that he is incompetent at using the pc and installing the gpu. Luckily for them I was in a good mood so i just told them that MSI forced the gpu fan to spin the fan up anti clockwise to remove dust. they were happy and even more happy when i told them that there was no need to pay me. they tipped me £20. I was actually playing war thunder with the kid, i destroyed him of course.

Please tell me with a Yak-9T.