Experiences with non-techies

I like Youtube, there are a lot of talented people on that but a whole lot of crazy psychopaths who do shit like that lady and get views. It's a Mac but it's still a well-built computer, and costs REAL money. That woman be bat-shit crazy!

She might have made more money off of the video than the Mac has costed anyway.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

She might have made more money off of the video than the Mac has costed anyway.

You are probably right. Still that woman is Bat-Shit crazy!

I recently asked an employee in PCworld if they sold an active displayport to dual-link DVI adapter. He didn't know what it was, so I showed him a picture of it. He then said "that's HDMI" and wouldn't listen when I told him that it wasn't HDMI and that I wanted displayport. He then asked what kind of displayport, so I said I wanted the standard size, not mini. He then asked me if I meant VGA. 

This went on for around a minute before he eventually said "well, I've never heard of displayport.". How can someone like that get a job in PCworld and I can't?

Where to start my list? here are some of the wonderful lists of things I've been asked for while working in retail.

AVG lead for VGA

UPS, USP, US, UBS all for USB

Tiggabite Hard drives

Scarp bleed and scarlett lead for Scart lead

HOMI, HMI, HMDI and HD lead all for HDMI

A wiffy dingle instead of a WiFi dongle

Anything digickal instead of digital

Sadly they get annoyed you when you correct them.

I'm sure there are so many others but I honest to god can't think of them right now. On a family level my mum thought Blu-ray was a fish.

If I were a bird, I'd fly into a ceiling fan.

. On a family level my mum thought Blu-ray was a fish.

W4kcfDc.png

W4kcfDc.png

When i first heard it i thought that a blue laser made the disc capacity bigger. take in mind i was like 9 years old.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Where to start my list? here are some of the wonderful lists of things I've been asked for while working in retail.

AVG lead for VGA

Tiggabite Hard drives

I'm sure there are so many others but I honest to god can't think of them right now. On a family level my mum thought Blu-ray was a fish.

Linksky, Linkys, Da'Link, NetGar - Routers

Homepage - Desktop screen

Hard Drive - Case/Tower

Hard Drive - Modem/router

Yahoo, MSN, ATT - Web browser

"The internet" - Ethernet/coax cables

Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Naga 2012 - Naga - Tiamat 2.2 - Electra - Nostromo - Manticor - Scarab - Mouse Bungee - Hoodie - Messenger Bag - Keyboard Bag - L33T Pack - Synapse - Comms - Game Booster 

Linksky, Linkys, Da'Link, NetGar - Routers

Homepage - Desktop screen

Hard Drive - Case/Tower

Hard Drive - Modem/router

Yahoo, MSN, ATT - Web browser

"The internet" - Ethernet/coax cables

I've had it called an internet cable instead of Ethernet before. Yup had hard drive instead of case/tower and I've also had it called the modem too. 

I've had it called an internet cable instead of Ethernet before. Yup had hard drive instead of case/tower and I've also had it called the modem too. 

Oh yeah xD

"Modem" Hahaha!

Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Naga 2012 - Naga - Tiamat 2.2 - Electra - Nostromo - Manticor - Scarab - Mouse Bungee - Hoodie - Messenger Bag - Keyboard Bag - L33T Pack - Synapse - Comms - Game Booster 

AVG lead for VGA

Tiggabite Hard drives

HAHA Tiggiabite! 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Our average non-techie. "How do I download the thing?"

That's like 60% of the forum these days...

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Not sure if I mentioned this already. My psychology teacher called an Ethernet cable a network cable. Not too bad but I still cringed. Your comment just reminded me about that event which happened a while ago.

Additionally we were presenting in psychology today and the audio wasn't working since it was running to a passtrough fo pretty much no reason. (It was more complicated then it needed to be) I didn't want to fix it since I didn't feel the need to do so but another tech competent individual did and the teacher though he had a magic touch which he obvioulsy denied.

Finally we needed to bring an item that is very valueble to you while it would be almost meaningless (or less important) to everyone else and some kind of music to psychology class today so after the presentations were done we had to listen to our music and write what we were feeling. (I chose Ezio's Family so I got quite a good nostaliga burst) After that we had to pull out our items analyse it and write down in point form how it looked, felt, what we though, etc. After we finished writting down points about our items we had to give it to the person sitting next to us. The girl that that sat to my left had pretty much no clue what my item was even though it had ADATA 256GB SSD written all over it. I managed to guess here item is from a horse harness although the exact location was a bit of. While she like so many people I have met in the past tried to use the excuse of "I'm not a techy savvy person", which to me often sounds more like "I'm tech incompetent and will likely never bother attempting to become tech competent even though technology is becomeing more imporant with each passing day" Obviously I tried to explain what an SSD is, why I brought it instead of a HDD, key differences, etc. pretty much as much as I could explain in a semi-interesting maner much like Teckquickie, although I think I lost her quite quickly... Anyways my techy friends were happy to see my SSD.

Not sure if I mentioned this already. My psychology teacher called an Ethernet cable a network cable. Not too bad but I still cringed. Your comment just reminded me about that event which happened a while ago.

Meh, an ethernet cable technically is a network cable.

Meh, an ethernet cable technically is a network cable.

Fair enough but I still perfer ethernet. It just sounds cooler then it really is :D

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

I don't understand how you can screw up that bad and still try to shift the blame...

My dad gets nauseous trying to coordinate his hands with his eyes just to move the cursor on screen with the mouse. Once, amazingly, almost vomited on my laptop. Mind you guys my dad is a very hands-on "jack-of-most-trades" person(carpenter, mechanic, electrician, etc) and is a practitioner of Kyokushin karate.

I don't care what he is a 'jack of...' If he isn't qualified as an electrician please don't call him one. If he actually is qualified in the 3 trades you listed then I applaud him, but that's 9 years of trainee-ships alone in my country.

Additionally we were presenting in psychology today and the audio wasn't working since it was running to a passtrough fo pretty much no reason. (It was more complicated then it needed to be) I didn't want to fix it since I didn't feel the need to do so but another tech competent individual did and the teacher though he had a magic touch which he obvioulsy denied.

Finally we needed to bring an item that is very valueble to you while it would be almost meaningless (or less important) to everyone else and some kind of music to psychology class today so after the presentations were done we had to listen to our music and write what we were feeling. (I chose Ezio's Family so I got quite a good nostaliga burst) After that we had to pull out our items analyse it and write down in point form how it looked, felt, what we though, etc. After we finished writting down points about our items we had to give it to the person sitting next to us. The girl that that sat to my left had pretty much no clue what my item was even though it had ADATA 256GB SSD written all over it. I managed to guess here item is from a horse harness although the exact location was a bit of. While she like so many people I have met in the past tried to use the excuse of "I'm not a techy savvy person", which to me often sounds more like "I'm tech incompetent and will likely never bother attempting to become tech competent even though technology is becomeing more imporant with each passing day" Obviously I tried to explain what an SSD is, why I brought it instead of a HDD, key differences, etc. pretty much as much as I could explain in a semi-interesting maner much like Teckquickie, although I think I lost her quite quickly... Anyways my techy friends were happy to see my SSD.

Give the following link a read, I think you'll appreciate it.

http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

Me: Ps3 doesn't play in full HD.

Friend: Sure it plays in full HD, you only need to buy a HDMI cable.

Its plays blu rays in 1080p, part of granturismo 5 and 6 are 1080p as well. If i remember correctly then only the hdmi cable can output 1080p for the ps3 but dont quote me on that as i could be wrong. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

That's true, but most games aren't in 1080p, because the hardware isn't strong enough.

"It's like all common sense just goes out of the window when a computer is involved."

That's true, but most games aren't in 1080p, because the hardware isn't strong enough.

Yes thats very true. Hell the next gen is Quite badly struggling.

Listen if you care.

When my mom isn't home for her to do his things on the computer for him, I have to "teach" my dad how to use the computer. This consists of me wanting to bash my head against the wall. I tell how to close a tab in his e-mail. He goes to read another e-mail and he's like "Is this how you do it?" *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud*

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Give the following link a read, I think you'll appreciate it.

http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

I read it in the past which is why I rarely help people and have them figure it out. It might be slighly harsh but its for the good of society. That's also the reason why I hear "I'm not a techy savvy person" as "I'm tech incompetent and will likely never bother attempting to become tech competent even though technology is becomeing more imporant with each passing day"

There's a bunch of grade 8's in my school who get together at lunch and all bring their iPads in and play apps.

Worst part is, they call themselves "real gamers"