Experiences with non-techies

I guess there might be.  But they forced us to.  

They do pirate windows and their wifi is full of malware and RATs, mainly due to this hacker there.  I mean, I just thought.  What if the hacker is using the malware because the IT teacher payed the hacker to install trojans on the network. 

That's a shame. atleast the malwear can't effect the surfaces.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

That's a shame. atleast the malwear can't effect the surfaces.

it can, some of it at least.  Malware can be in pictures even.  

Although, allot of people bought surface pros.  I guess because they didn't already spend $2000 on building a computer like I did.  But, so many people there are just noobs with tech and its really sad how this jerk can just control their devices.   

I work in retail and the best story that's happened was a old man that kept coming in and saying his laptop was slow and broken. Everytime I would fix it, reinstall windows etc... Anyway, one day he came in with chrome not working. So I thought OK I'll refresh his browser and clean it up. So uninstalled some chrome apps and some other things. The last thing I did was clean his search history, and then I found all his problems.... A search result for " Big Horny MIlFs" (plus million other nsfw things xD) . I couldn't stop laughing for 20minutes after he left. Weird thing is this guy was married and like 75 years old. EW!

I guess he liked clicking ads xD

Sup

Disaster waiting to happen...

But they do last long usually especially if it doesn't run all day, since mechanical drive...

i don't back up anything  :huh:

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Okay, so my dad has been a network admin at various companies for over 10 years now and he knows his way around software and networking like nobody else but he barely understands computer hardware. Here are some tales of his exploits.

We have two computers in our basement that serve as routers and website hosts; one is 7 years old and the other is nearing a decade of 24/7 service. Long overdue for an upgrade, right? Well he thought so too so he bought an Asus x79 motherboard with plans to buy a new processor (he thought the older DDR2 RAM would fit in the newer board). However, the processor he planned on buying was the i7 extreme edition (the one with the fancy X on the end) for an extra $500 over it's little brother that gave nearly the same performance. When I suggested he buy the other processor and let me overclock it a little bit he responded "No, overclocking is an experiment and I don't want an experiment, I want a processor." *sighs* To this day he hasn't dropped the money on a new processor and the motherboard itself has remained in its box.

Oh, it only gets better from there. About 1.5 years ago he bought himself an Acer C7 chromebook. After about 8 months I noticed he had stopped using it and I asked why. He told me that it was in his room and that it was broken, if I could fix it it could be mine. I powered it up and *lo' and behold* chrome os was simply damaged. A quick recovery later and I had a perfectly functional chromebook of my own which I proceeded to install Ubuntu on. Noticing that I was using the chromebook for school he gave me a little gift: a Samsung 840 Pro (512GB) and an 8GB memory stick to upgrade my chromebook. Hrmm, guess what pops? Chromebooks have a weak processor that can't run enough programs to utilize 10GB of memory or process data as fast as an 840 Pro can spit it out. Rest assured that both parts now have a home in my current laptop so they are no longer going to waste. 

Stay tuned for more dad tales including but not limited to: the story of my laptop, apple fanboyism, and Microsoft hate! (Also a potential story that might happen today when I suggest a legitimate solution to our slow internet)

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Okay, so my dad has been a network admin at various companies for over 10 years now and he knows his way around software and networking like nobody else but he barely understands computer hardware. Here are some tales of his exploits.

We have two computers in our basement that serve as routers and website hosts; one is 7 years old and the other is nearing a decade of 24/7 service. Long overdue for an upgrade, right? Well he thought so too so he bought an Asus x79 motherboard with plans to buy a new processor (he thought the older DDR2 RAM would fit in the newer board). However, the processor he planned on buying was the i7 extreme edition (the one with the fancy X on the end) for an extra $500 over it's little brother that gave nearly the same performance. When I suggested he buy the other processor and let me overclock it a little bit he responded "No, overclocking is an experiment and I don't want an experiment, I want a processor." *sighs* To this day he hasn't dropped the money on a new processor and the motherboard itself has remained in its box.

Oh, it only gets better from there. About 1.5 years ago he bought himself an Acer C7 chromebook. After about 8 months I noticed he had stopped using it and I asked why. He told me that it was in his room and that it was broken, if I could fix it it could be mine. I powered it up and *lo' and behold* chrome os was simply damaged. A quick recovery later and I had a perfectly functional chromebook of my own which I proceeded to install Ubuntu on. Noticing that I was using the chromebook for school he gave me a little gift: a Samsung 840 Pro (512GB) and an 8GB memory stick to upgrade my chromebook. Hrmm, guess what pops? Chromebooks have a weak processor that can't run enough programs to utilize 10GB of memory or process data as fast as an 840 Pro can spit it out. Rest assured that both parts now have a home in my current laptop so they are no longer going to waste. 

Stay tuned for more dad tales including but not limited to: the story of my laptop, apple fanboyism, and Microsoft hate! (Also a potential story that might happen today when I suggest a legitimate solution to our slow internet)

I picked up an Acer C710 Chromebook last year. It was being held back quite a bit by the 320GB 5400rpm mechanical HDD and 2GB ram it came with. One of the first things I did was swap out the 320GB HDD for a 120GB AData SP600 SSD and doubled the ram to 4GB. Made a huge difference. Cold boots in under 10 seconds and can handle a lot more tabs at once now. :)

How does it run with Ubuntu? Been thinking about dual-booting it, but I've found ChromeOS does almost everything I need it to, so haven't felt the need to try it yet.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I picked up an Acer C710 Chromebook last year. It was being held back quite a bit by the 320GB 5400rpm mechanical HDD and 2GB ram it came with. One of the first things I did was swap out the 320GB HDD for a 120GB AData SP600 SSD and doubled the ram to 4GB. Made a huge difference. Cold boots in under 10 seconds and can handle a lot more tabs at once now. :)

How does it run with Ubuntu? Been thinking about dual-booting it, but I've found ChromeOS does almost everything I need it to, so haven't felt the need to try it yet.

While I agree that the stock HDD and RAM are a little slow for most users, you do have to admit 10GB of RAM and a top of the line SSD is more than overkill.

In regards to your question, because of the Chrome OS bootloader you have 2 options for installing Linux:

1. Activate developer mode, install Crouton. This functions as a shell inside of Chrome OS which allows you to switch your OS on the fly with a keystroke but requires a command to use on each startup (albeit a simple one), does not function like the Ubuntu you may be used to, and you are limited to 1.8GB of usable RAM within it.

2. Activate developer mode, install Crubuntu. This is a 64 bit OS that tricks the bootloader into booting nearly stock Ubuntu. It's a lot nicer, more open, and uses the system itself much better than Crouton; but it requires a fairly complex command to switch between it and Chrome OS, and has a much more lengthy and in depth install process that doesn't always work. 

You can look up installation instructions for both methods online. I used both for a time but settled on Crubuntu. Either way I got to wow other Chromebook owners by being able to play Minecraft on it, that is until heat damage and a cracked screen rendered the thing basically useless.

Also to turn this into a somewhat on topic post, whenever I updated the thing I always used terminal just to make it look like I was hacking. I actually fooled a couple people into thinking I was one. I guess when people see a screen that haas only text on it they automatically think "OMG it's a hacker. He might hack me, don't be mean to him!" *Sigh* people...

*Edit* Now officially out of rookie status. 

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

My brother fell for one of those phishing scams on Steam - he got a message telling him that this person's friend wanted to trade, but couldn't add him (warning sign). The link wasn't clickable, so he had to copy and paste it into the browser (warning sign), where it loaded a page that looked remarkably similar to the actual steam community site, except that it was steam cornmornity.com or something like that (that looks blatently wrong to me personally (warning sign)). It asked him to log in again (warning sign which he noticed) and didn't autocomplete or auto-fill in his username (big warning sign, which he also noticed but still ignored). Steam guard then asked him to download an exe file (massive warning sign), which he then downloaded and ran.

He gave somebody his username, password and access to his computer (via the exe), then didn't seem to know why his account had sent a message (like the one he received) to all his friends list and more.

I'm just glad that his gross incompetence didn't lead to him losing anything of value (as far as we're aware).

HTTP/2 203

My brother fell for one of those phishing scams on Steam - he got a message telling him that this person's friend wanted to trade, but couldn't add him (warning sign). The link wasn't clickable, so he had to copy and paste it into the browser (warning sign), where it loaded a page that looked remarkably similar to the actual steam community site, except that it was steam cornmornity.com or something like that (that looks blatently wrong to me personally (warning sign)). It asked him to log in again (warning sign which he noticed) and didn't autocomplete or auto-fill in his username (big warning sign, which he also noticed but still ignored). Steam guard then asked him to download an exe file (massive warning sign), which he then downloaded and ran.

He gave somebody his username, password and access to his computer (via the exe), then didn't seem to know why his account had sent a message (like the one he received) to all his friends list and more.

I'm just glad that his gross incompetence didn't lead to him losing anything of value (as far as we're aware).

I once almost did as well, I was making a clan back when runescape was good, and someone joined and said "dude, you need to setup the roster!",   I didn't know what that was, never heard of it (turns out it was a freaking lie) and he sent me a link to a runescape forum page. 

So, I clicked it.  It redirected me to a different site that said "login here to continue"  I was about to type in my password when on the fake login page it said "only login to pages that have the green lock on the URL bar"  and I looked and there was no green lock (SSL/Https) and so, the phishing site actually kind of told me it was a phishing site. 

That guy had made the worst phishing site ever.  And I felt horrible because I work for AVG and I'd seen these phishing sites all the time so I felt ashamed I never noticed it right off the bat.  This is the first time I have ever told anyone about it. 

It's so easy to tell if it's a phishing site. It looks identical to the real thing but all you have to do is look and see how it is spelled. One letter off and it's fake.

It's so easy to tell if it's a phishing site. It looks identical to the real thing but all you have to do is look and see how it is spelled. One letter off and it's fake.

anyone remember half life 3 on stearnpowered.com?

my brother thought it was real

Yo dawg, I heard you like windows, so let's install windows onto windows, and while you're waiting you can look out your window!

GUYS. WAIT. I can install virtual box and run windows, so I can RUN WINDOWS INSIDE WINDOWS THAT WAS INSTALLED ONTO WINDOWS WHILE I LOOK OUT MY WINDOW! MINDFUCK!!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

GUYS. WAIT. I can install virtual box and run windows, so I can RUN WINDOWS INSIDE WINDOWS THAT WAS INSTALLED ONTO WINDOWS WHILE I LOOK OUT MY WINDOW! MINDFUCK!!!

Someone did a win7 running win vista in a vbox which has a vbox installed and is running xp which also has a vbox installed and running 98...

I tried to do it on my laptop and it slowed down too much that I had to restart..

Weird thing is this guy was married and like 75 years old. EW!

Let's hope you are still interested in "horny MILFs" at 75

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I was shopping for a new backpack today and I noticed many of them were marketed as being "tech friendly". No real surprises there, as technology is becoming engrained in our schools. Some of them even said directly on the tag what size laptops they support. I was looking through them when something on the Adidas tag made me pause:

post-86623-0-23521100-1408671055_thumb.j

"17 inch CPU"  :blink:

*facepalm*

post-86623-0-23521100-1408671055_thumb.j

I was shopping for a new backpack today and I noticed many of them were marketed as being "tech friendly". No real surprises there, as technology is becoming engrained in our schools. Some of them even said directly on the tag what size laptops they support. I was looking through them when something on the Adidas tag made me pause:

IMG_20140821_172852.jpg

"17 inch CPU"  :blink:

*facepalm*

Wonder how many cores you can fit on a CPU that's 17"*17".

Wonder how many cores you can fit on a CPU that's 17"*17".

FIT ALL THE CORES!!!!! But think of the heat output...

Regardless, I didn't buy that backpack. I don't trust companies that don't know the difference between a laptop and a CPU.

FIT ALL THE CORES!!!!! But think of the heat output...

Regardless, I didn't buy that backpack. I don't trust companies that don't know the difference between a laptop and a CPU.

Who the heck has a 17" tablet anyway?

Who the heck has a 17" tablet anyway?

I would buy a 17" tablet if it had a nice GPU.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Yeah but than it would burn your hand.

Good point. I would still love a 13/15/17" tablet to be available.

Garrus - HP Stream 11

My grandmother, (she's 68) told me that when i was on vacation her computer caught a virus and she took it to the BestBuy GeekSquad. They made her pay $200 for the virus removal and Anti-virus, and i could have done that for free! Anyway, they installed Kaperskey and gave her 2 other licences which are good for a year. But the worst part is that the moment you register the first license the second and third licences are also activated preventing you from daisy-chaining the licences together for a 3 year license. What a scam! But at least my grandmother isn't too bad with tech. She has a 19' Dell laptop with an i-52xxxm

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

My grandmother, (she's 68) told me that when i was on vacation her computer caught a virus and she took it to the BestBuy GeekSquad. They made her pay $200 for the virus removal and Anti-virus, and i could have done that for free! Anyway, they installed Kaperskey and gave her 2 other licences which are good for a year. But the worst part is that the moment you register the first license the second and third licences are also activated preventing you from daisy-chaining the licences together for a 3 year license. What a scam! But at least my grandmother isn't too bad with tech. She has a 19' Dell laptop with an i-52xxxm

I love Kaspersky, its my favourite (Don't tell AVG I said that :P)  But, you can buy a single 3 year license of Kaspersky...