Experiences with non-techies

Hell, my school had ok PCs. They were Fujitsu-Siemens machines with Pentium Dual-Cores (like E2200), 2GB RAM and Windows 7 (upgraded from XP). Which ran fine. Then they bought like 5 new i3 HPs. Barely any faster in booting, that's all.

Also, I had a secondary school (which I had to visit 4h in the week), and they had Pentium D's, with extremely slow hard drives, and (usually) chewing gum stuck into the intake fans. And all of them were slow. Booting took at least 10 minutes. And you were supposed to use Google SketchUp on them.

I despise Google Sketchup after I learned about Blender. The only thing that Sketchup does better is measurements. Otherwise Blender is MUCH better.

I despise Google Sketchup after I learned about Blender. The only thing that Sketchup does better is measurements. Otherwise Blender is MUCH better.

Is blender free?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

YES! It's 100% open source. http://www.blender.org/

I better get that when I get home

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I have so many stories it's ridiculous.

My Mom asked me to help here fill out an application for a job using on the internet then a pop up ad popped up and it had a PICTURE of a camera on the screen and Mom slapped me and told me that she didn't want people to see in her office(Keep in mind her monitor didn't have a camera on top). I literally laughed so hard at her cried. Then she tried to convince me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

But, Blender is very hard to learn, if you never used it before. I think Sketchup is more simple, so even a 9 year old can use it. It's a dumbed down version of Blender.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But, Blender is very hard to learn, if you never used it before. I think Sketchup is more simple, so even a 9 year old can use it. It's a dumbed down version of Blender.

Sketchup is so dumbed down that I would question its learning capabilities and Blender isn't THAT hard to learn. Sure it's not as simplistic and there are things I still learn every time I use it but overall it's quite easy to jump into it's basics. Not to mention the raw power that is there for you to discover :D

Sketchup is so dumbed down that I would question its learning capabilities and Blender isn't THAT hard to learn. Sure it's not as simplistic and there are things I still learn every time I use it but overall it's quite easy to jump into it's basics. Not to mention the raw power that is there for you to discover :D

Well, Sketchup isn't so dumbed down. It was dumbed down to make it easier to navigate. Blender has a lot of unfamiliar terms for the common person.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I can remember when I got my first computer,  I thought RAM was like the hard drive storage.  So, when I got a game that said "1GB required space" I freaked out cuz I only had 2GB of RAM then! :P

My mother, she trys to understand the technical world but yet can't seem to grasp some of it. She's pretty pro at the software aspect of it but is clueless when it comes to hardware and troubleshooting issues that may arise.

Well, Sketchup isn't so dumbed down. It was dumbed down to make it easier to navigate. Blender has a lot of unfamiliar terms for the common person.

Well you don't have to click anything that sounds really unfamiliar to get more out of Blender than Sketup and there is always google if you are really curious. Although now that I think about it I guess you would need to know the hotkeys. s=scale, g=grab, r=rotate, x=lock to x axis, (see the pattern? very logical and basic) There are others but they aren't that necessary for a beginner.

Edit: Also removing any mention of vertices let alone the ability to alter their location isn't just dumbing down so that it's easier to navigate instead I would consider it crippling the program. From what I remember sketchup doesn't allow you to control vertices which I consider essential for a modeling program...

There's this person I know, he asked me what computer I use. I replied, "I built it." He then said, "Then it must be slow and crappy."

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

This person on Youtube thinks Water-Cooling is Fake, probably didn't watch the video or is just trollin'

Found Here: http://youtu.be/W7BdBPSx92M

This |

v

bhj05g.png

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

This person on Youtube thinks Water-Cooling is Fake, probably didn't watch the video or is just trollin'

This |

v

-le YouTube comments-

Bieber profile pic.... No wonder why it's so dumb.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Bieber profile pic.... No wonder why it's so dumb.

Don't feed the trolls... :P

In some cases it's best just to move on. lol

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I was recently talking to my friend and he was trying to download something on his PC. An error message popped up about some windows error. He said "the error wants me to install windows. Can we install it?"...

I was recently talking to my friend and he was trying to download something on his PC. An error message popped up about some windows error. He said "the error wants me to install windows. Can we install it?"...

Yo dawg, I heard you like windows, so let's install windows onto windows, and while you're waiting you can look out your window!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I was helping out some moron dude who asked for my help, I showed him how to pull videos from YouTube, and did it all nicely. He tries it himself, but makes a mistake then starts cursing and boasting about how people who don't know technology are much smarter than people who do know a lot of technology.

you know his reason? Because people of his time "didn't rely on technology". Yea f***king right, we're the idiots. But you needed help getting videos from YouTube.

Carry on....

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

I'd rather get a free 4/6 year student trial of Maya or 3DS Max. Somewhat easier to learn, and much more powerful.

I was helping out some moron dude who asked for my help, I showed him how to pull videos from YouTube, and did it all nicely. He tries it himself, but makes a mistake then starts cursing and boasting about how people who don't know technology are much smarter than people who do know a lot of technology.

you know his reason? Because people of his time "didn't rely on technology". Yea f***king right, we're the idiots. But you needed help getting videos from YouTube.

Carry on....

Oh but they did rely on technology. People just hate what they can't understand or use.

Point 1: if our ancestors never used technology we wouldn't have even got to basic wood or stone or bone tools. (Refer to the That Mitchell and Webb Look about the stone/iron age crossover or the one about the Greatest Invention [computer mouse] for a comedic view)

Point 2: My parents alternate between 'having Google in your pocket is awesome' to 'you waste your entire life on your phone'. Each generation is happy with tech developed during their childhood and early adulthood bit tends to dislike newer tech. My parents enjoy TV, by their parents didn't like it and were happy with radio. As you can imagine, my great-grandparents probably hated this 'newfangled' radio and only liked letter writing.

This |

v

That guys a troll, he commented on a different JayzTwoCents saying that it's impossible to build a computer. He also posts comments. (He also comments on other videos completely unrelated to tech and trolls.)

I better get that when I get home

Coming from Autodesk Inventor I find blender hard to learn although I want to give it another try.

I'd rather get a free 4/6 year student trial of Maya or 3DS Max. Somewhat easier to learn, and much more powerful.

I'm pretty good with inventor and I know a guy who's excellent with blender. From what I've seen him do I'd say there both very powerful programs. Also blender is open source.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

As having used both Blender and 3DS Max I am convinced that Blender is easier to use. Although that is likely a result of me spending much more time using Blender than 3DSMax. I only use 3DS Max when I need to make custom collision meshes for clutter like items for Skyrim. (It seems like there's an easier way but I am unaware of it and this works :D ) While I use Blender for the actual modeling, UV mapping, vertex colours, etc.

Edit:

Coming from Autodesk Inventor I find blender hard to learn although I want to give it another try.

I'm pretty good with inventor and I know a guy who's excellent with blender. From what I've seen him do I'd say there both very powerful programs. Also blender is open source.

Inventor handles measurements very nicely but it pretty simplistic in how much you can edit a model. Don't get me wrong Inventor is still a great program and when I need to worry about exact measurements it's the go to program for me. (ie building any object that I'd like to 3D print later) But since most people don't try measuring the exact size of in game models (if you do that's crazy so stop it!) measurements are not as important when I'm making general models that will end up in a game.

That being said it's still possible to get exact measurements in Blender by typing in the value you want when you are moving the item you want. My general complaint about it's measurements is that the measuring tape doesn't snap to vertices like I think it should but it can still measure decently accurately if you just click on a face with it selected. And if you're wondering where the measuring tool is it's under "Grease pencil".